• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

jhlurie

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

...Flake, Ripples and Flake Twists - white and dark chocolate AND a huge box of Crunchie bars " Thank Crunchie it's Friday"

The one Chocolate I love which I can't get in the UK is an Australian "crunchie style" honeycomb bar called Violet Crumbles. 

S

Yummm...I had NO idea there were so many crunchy options. Violet Crumbles sounds divine! I may need to google it and see what I can find!

I've seen Violet Crumble in drug and variety stores all over the Seattle area. Which means it should be easy to find in the US. Or you can order it on-line here.

Thanks, night!

While I like certain "commercial" US candy bars, all my favorites are either upscale dark chocolate or British. Mmmm....chunky Kit Kats, orange Aero bars, Time Outs, Lions.......

While I like certain "commercial" US candy bars, all my favorites are either upscale dark chocolate or British.  Mmmm....chunky Kit Kats, orange Aero bars, Time Outs, Lions.......

British Kit Kats are so much better.. I love one every now and then.

No. I'm a female with no chocolate gene at all. And concentrated sugar disgusts me. A dry wine or sake is sweet enough. More than that and feh.

But, really. Steak slices to go go go.

Jin,

I'm sort of like you. I LOVE STEAK! Love all types of meat and despise overcooked meat... I find myself eating large quantities of meat all the time. Some friends were telling me about Atkins diet, I thought, wait a minute, I already eat like this.

However, I must admit to a weakness for chocolate souffle though.... although, unlike steak, I can't eat that everyday.

While I like certain "commercial" US candy bars, all my favorites are either upscale dark chocolate or British.  Mmmm....chunky Kit Kats, orange Aero bars, Time Outs, Lions.......

British Kit Kats are so much better.. I love one every now and then.

The Kit Kat is made under licence in the US, so I am not sure why it taste so different. But it really does. I love the new White chocolate one

S

Funnily enough, I ate a kit kat in Canada earlier this week. It was a bit warm and soggy, but the taste was as I remembered. I thought for a moment it was smaller than they used to be, but on reflection it may be that I am bigger. A very nice "candy bar" and perfect for tea dunking, so long as it starts out cool and firm.

Wilfred, I'm leaving for Canada in a couple of days. I'll remember to do the KitKat comparison test.

U.S.A.: Almond Joy

Canada: Coffee Crisp or Cadbury's Fruit and Nut.

Caramello! Those things are awesome. I like Twix too. And Mounds--love that coconut filling.

Maltballs are good too...especially when they're double-dipped in chocolate. You know, malt is underrated, in my opinion. A good chocolate malt is pretty damn terrific.

Caramello! Those things are awesome. I like Twix too. And Mounds--love that coconut filling.

Maltballs are good too...especially when they're double-dipped in chocolate. You know, malt is underrated, in my opinion. A good chocolate malt is pretty damn terrific.

I used to love the Cadburrys malt ball sold in India. Nothing has ever compared and come even close.

Also they sold an item called "Nutties" , it was my favorit sweet.

Don't eat sweets - haven't for a long time. I go with Jinmyo. Except, I like to take a very thin slice of roast beef and roll it around a small piece of dill pickle and swiss cheese. Also, sausage made by a friend that I've smoked myself. Though the latter is so tasty, and not good for one in quantity, I've pretty much given it up.

I found SKOR today at my grocery store, but ended up getting another bar of Heath...

I found SKOR today at my grocery store, but ended up getting another bar of Heath...

I found neither at mine.

Rub it in... you are perverse I have realized. You are doing this to make me feel badly.. :angry:

Enjoy the heath... you are a lucky man. :smile:

Im sorry Suvir... Im not trying to rub it in...I really hope you can find them soon!

I also am thankful you have turned me on to these...again...Thx!

:smile:

Im sorry Suvir... Im not trying to rub it in...I really hope you can find them soon!

I also am thankful you have turned me on to these...again...Thx!

:smile:

I am glad to have re-introduced you to them. Will try a store a few blocks further.. maybe they have them. I was only kidding.

Suvir

My all time favorite candy is Viennese Butter Crunch.  I can never go through O'hare withoout buying a bagful at one of those Aunty whatever candy shoppees. 

Commercial candy bars I avoid, but Almond Joys will get me in a pinch.

Perfect shiva candy. How come we of a certain age and background all crave the came things?

Toblerone.  :wink:  :rolleyes:  :raz:

"Toblerone" ?? :wink:

If you got to go 'Swiss' , at least go "Lindt Halbbitter"

I used to like Zero candy-bars, remember those? Money metal delicious.

-akebono

Toblerone.  :wink:  :rolleyes:  :raz:

"Toblerone" ?? :wink:

If you got to go 'Swiss' , at least go "Lindt Halbbitter"

If I have to have candy, I am happy being tacky or mass market....

Toblerone is just so perfect for some of my moods... I can eat a lot of it.. A LOT.

I am sorry if I offend those that love fine chocolate by having this love of Toblerone, but I do love it. I eat it more when traveling to other parts of the world. I buy it at the airports in Europe and travel with it to farther places east.

Perfect shiva candy.  How come we of a certain age and background all crave the came things?

My brother and I just had a nostalgia fest about Passover candy...Barton's chocolate caramels with almonds, sesame crunch, slightly stale macaroons from a can, fruit jellies. Yum. :biggrin:

Suvir, I get Toblerone cravings too (the milk chocolate, even though I'm a card-carrying bittersweet fan). There's something very satisfying about biting through one of those triangular sections.

Suvir, I get Toblerone cravings too (the milk chocolate, even though I'm a card-carrying bittersweet fan).  There's something very satisfying about biting through one of those triangular sections.

There certainly is something amazing about biting through those triangular sections.

My nephew got addicted to them since he was 14 months old...

He loves those and Godivas bars.... He travels a lot around the world... and so I guess in those trips, he is spoiled by the parents....

He may be the most well traveled 24 month old boy the world has.... has been traveling since the age of 6 months... and he loves every bit of it.. and also Toblerone.

I am happy to see he takes after me in something.

Good Morning Cathy! :smile:

My brother and I just had a nostalgia fest about Passover candy...Barton's chocolate caramels with almonds, sesame crunch, slightly stale macaroons from a can, fruit jellies.  Yum.  :biggrin:

For me, the quintessential Passover candy is Kopper's Coffee Beans. Not chocolate-covered beans, but solid chocolate flavored with coffee and shaped to look like beans. When I was in high school they were a nice caffeine fix.

Laura Secord Buttermallow bars.

OhmiGod! How could I have forgotten these wicked great candy Bars. You marry a Yank and move to the States....

• Similar Content

• By artiesel
      Hello,

My question is this...  Is there a company that manufactures an automated machine capable of wrapping cube-shaped caramels and chocolates???  And would such a machine also be capable of wrapping large (3-4 oz.) rectangular chocolate bars or would such a product require a flow wrapping machine?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    • By JoNorvelleWalker
      The current issue of the NY Times Magazine is on candy.  Shamefully sinful.  I cannot unsee the images.

• By Pastrypastmidnight
      I want to put a soft marshmallow fluff into a bonbon. I’ve made this recipe lots of times for my s’mores macarons and it’s great but the recipe says it will only keep 2 weeks in the fridge (but it is actually fine much longer—at least no one in my family has died yet  ). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chowhound.com/recipes/homemade-marshmallow-creme-30296/amp

Does anyone know of a soft marshmallow cream recipe I can pipe into a bonbon and leave at room temp for a couple of weeks? I know the commercial stuff will separate long before it goes bad (don’t ask  ).
    • By pastrygirl
      Who here hand dips chocolates, either with their actual hand, or with a fork?

I have a side job working with a woman who hand dips everything with her fingers in a puddle of chocolate on a sheet of parchment.  She's super fast at it, I tried it but it felt so messy and awkward.  I have done a little fork-dipping, so today dipped 300+ cookies with a fork and remembered why I hate fork dipping. 

So, anyone have any pointers, tricks,  or favorite dipping forks that don't make your hand go numb?  Today I used a dinner fork, I didn't have my actual chocolate dipping forks, but they have really thin metal handles that are hard to hold onto and horrible.  I need like the Good Grips version for people with arthritis and pastry chefs who have done too much piping ...
    • By artiesel
      I have Volumes 1 ,2 and 4 of Jean-Pierre Wybauw's Great Chocolate books are for sale.

The books are in great shape!  There is some tape on the corner of the front of volume 1 that I used to keep it together after a drop.  Volume 1 is also autographed by the author (See pics below).

I'm asking $150 for the lot OBO.

Let me know if interested or if you have questions