• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food TV Phraseology

ZenJones

Almost forgot... favorite phrase that should be used more often than it is:

Iron Chef Japanese Masaharu Morimoto: "Let's Cooking"!

which is probably a literal translation of Chairman Kaga's "Ah-reck Keyzeem!", which wins the award for most original pronunciation. :smile:

Can I just say that it's not Rachel Ray's constant use of EVOO, it's that she almost unfailingly spells out the letters and then says the whole name out loud anyway! 95% of the time it's "E-V-O-O, extra-virgin olive oil". And she'll do this multiple times per show, so the channel surfers don't get mortally confused and leave. Gah! I don't even mind the abbreviation EVOO, and actually at home we frequently pronounce it "ee-voo", but the use of four-syllable superfluous acronym followed by seven syllables of explanation drives me nuts! What's wrong with "good olive oil"?!?

Edit for spelling and correcting they to she

Edited by wnissen (log)
Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

Can I just say that it's not Rachel Rey's constant use of EVOO, it's that they almost unfailingly spells out the letters and then says the whole name out loud anyway! 95% of the time it's "E-V-O-O, extra-virgin olive oil". And she'll do this multiple times per show

EXACTLY. Thanks for posting that fact.

Another Martin Yan peeve...

The counting.

1, 2, 3, hah.

He could be timing himself...I think. If memory serves me correctly, I saw him on tv demonstrating how to debone a chicken in 9 seconds...

As he did it, he went "1, 2, 3, like this, 4, 5, like this, 6, 7, 8, 9. Hah! bone! less! chic! ken!"

He speaks English like one would speak Chinese. He utters each syllable as if they were individual words. :biggrin:

Edited for clarity.

Edited by wongste (log)

which is probably a literal translation of Chairman Kaga's "Ah-reck Keyzeem!", which wins the award for most original pronunciation. :smile:

That double L sound in Allez does not exist in Japanese. AFAIK. Despite 51 years in the US, my grandmother still can't pronounce words with the LL correctly

Cheryl

That double L sound in Allez does not exist in Japanese. AFAIK. Despite 51 years in the US, my grandmother still can't pronounce words with the LL correctly

Which is precisely why my father, who served in the military on Iwo Jima in WWII, told me the Americans used it as the secret password to determine if the individual approaching them at night was Japanese .. if the person could not pronounce "lollapalooza" properly, they knew he/she was not an American ... true story ... will never forget it.

Just "googled" lollapalooza, and then Japanese, and then WW II .. all I wound up with was a lotta stuff on the rock bands' tour ... :sad:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I can't think of a particular phrase that he repeats, but whenever I watch Rick Bayless I keep expecting him to pull out a one hitter. First time the man of the house watched with me, his exact words were, "how high is THAT guy?!?!" :laugh:

Thanks for pointing out that Emeril has a couple catch phrases, didn't know that. :rolleyes::wink:

On an Iron Chef note...

how 'bout that reporter guy who calls in the specifics of what each chef is using in his dishes...

To my ears it sounds like he is saying, "Squeeze-On?" and then the host follows with, "Yes, Oata?".

:huh::blink:

On an Iron Chef note...

how 'bout that reporter guy who calls in the specifics of what each chef is using in his dishes...

To my ears it sounds like he is saying, "Squeeze-On?" and then the host follows with, "Yes, Oata?".

:huh::blink:

Well, Ota has a habit of speaking very quickly when he interrupts Fukui-san to tell you what ingredients the iron chef or challenger is using.

As for Chairman Kaga's "If memory serves me correctly", I don't completely buy that Kaga says it merely because it's part of his culture...

He even uses it with entirely factual, or easily verified statements like:

"If memory serves me correctly, it was in 1995 that Marco Molinari earned great acclaim by winning the International Pasta Contest", or...

"If memory serves me correctly, it is customary for me to chomp on a bell pepper at the beginning of every show..." Okay, I just made that one up. :biggrin:

Tyler Florence: "Give it a good stir"

as opposed to what exactly? a bad stir? but I forgive him his imperfections because of his baby face and sweet smile ... and, of course, his knowledge of cuisine ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Can I just say that it's not Rachel Ray's constant use of EVOO, it's that she almost unfailingly spells out the letters and then says the whole name out loud anyway! 95% of the time it's "E-V-O-O, extra-virgin olive oil". And she'll do this multiple times per show, so the channel surfers don't get mortally confused and leave. Gah! I don't even mind the abbreviation EVOO, and actually at home we frequently pronounce it "ee-voo", but the use of four-syllable superfluous acronym followed by seven syllables of explanation drives me nuts! What's wrong with "good olive oil"?!?

Edit for spelling and correcting they to she

That is the principal reason I loathe her show. I'd almost expunged that particularly nauseating affectation from my memory.

Sorry, but I've got to shoot the messenger here. I know that my dislike of RR puts me in that evil (or is that e-v-o-o-l ) minority, and I accept the scarlet letters gladly.

Now I'll probably have nightmares about RR tying me up and forcing me to say "e-v-o-o, extra virgin olive oil" over and over, at least until Nigella Lawson :wub: comes along to my rescue, wiping the floor with Miss Pert 'n' Perky in an Iron Chef-style grudge match...

Oh my, is it time for my medication and nap already?

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

which is probably a literal translation of Chairman Kaga's "Ah-reck Keyzeem!", which wins the award for most original pronunciation.  :smile:

no way.

you mean all this time he's been saying "allez cuisine"?

I kind of like how Jamie Oliver sounds like he's talking about a woman's body or something equally scandalous when he calls things "really lovely" or "really beautiful"...and the permeating Enligh "ah yea" & "right then"....

This will probably get me laughed right off the thread but I find him and his manner of speaking very attractive. :blush:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I kind of like how Jamie Oliver sounds like he's talking about a woman's body or something equally scandalous when he calls things "really lovely" or "really beautiful"...and the permeating Enligh "ah yea" & "right then"....

This will probably get me laughed right off the thread but I find him and his manner of speaking very attractive. :blush:

Nah no laughing. He's a doll and quite charming.

Nah no laughing. He's a doll and quite charming.

I am not alone!!!

Actually, the only problem I have with his show is not enough shots of him from behind. :blush:

On topic now...every host have some vocal tic that will drive you nuts if you focus on it too much. I just try to pay attention to what's cooking on the tolerable shows and don't watch the ones that really make me crazy, like Paula Deen.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Hah...I adore Paula Dean, and at least she looks like she bathes regularly....which is nice when you're dealing with food. Oliver usually looks like he needs a flea dip. Can't stand his tongue thrusts, either. :raz:

Can't stand his tongue thrusts, either. :raz:

You could try imagining them in a different context. :shock::laugh:

Paula's OK, it's her accent that drives me a little crazy. Emeril's vocal tics are so predictable it's fun to guess which one will be next. "How bout you get yourself one of them frozen things" "60-80 cloves of garlic" "It's a food of love thing" etc. etc. And the Rachel Ray EVOO thing is just puzzling. Why does she do that over and over again? Why not just leave the acronym out?

And has anyone mentioned annoying theme music yet?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme