• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Weight Watchers Card Topic

Malawry

That was pretty funny. Too bad she didn't include the recipies - the frankfurter spectacular looked really-----spectacular. yeah, right.

So much aspic, so little time.

Stop Family Violence

My favorite prop comment involves the mushroom family gathered around the aspic to show the child mushrooms what happens to them if they go wrong en route to becoming grown-up mushrooms. :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Here's some more of these suckers.  The Crown Frankfurter Surprise is particularly grotesque, in my opinion.

It looks like something served at the banquet scene of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My favorite prop comment involves the mushroom family gathered around the aspic to show the child mushrooms what happens to them if they go wrong en route to becoming grown-up mushrooms. :laugh:

That's my favorite, too.

Wendy was on WFMU (a freeform radio station out of northern NJ) a few months ago and actually did give out one of the recipes for the first time -- I think it was for Fluffy Mackerel Pudding. She performed it like a pretentious spoken-word piece. The show is archived on www.wfmu.org, but unfortunately they had some computer problems so that episode is temporarily unavailable.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

• 3 months later...

OK -- I know it is truly juvenile, but one MUST check out these vintage Weight Watcher Cards from 1974. Click on the first one and then you can fihnd your way through them all. The author's commentary is so funny I had tears running down my face.

It's cold and dreary here in Chicago, and I had to come to work today. This gave me a great lift, and I hope it does you, as well.

Do me a favor though -- don't cook any of these!

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I also love the Inspiration Soup: "When one first arrives here one may believe the Soup tastes like ass. That is not so, my child. The Soup is Inspiration and the Soup is Love. Your name is now "Harmonia." "

And if someone is going to deny it tastes like ass, wouldn't they have to admit to having a point of reference? Of course, if someone says it tastes like ass, wouldn't they have to admit the same? I'm almost giddy at the thought of THAT dinner table disagreement! "Mom! THis tastes just like ass!" "It does not -- I used the canned asparagus just to make sure!" "No, Mom! Billy's right. This tastes just like ass."

O. My. I wonder how the censors are going to edit this.

Peace & Love,

Harmonia

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I am sure that many veteran foodie web surfers have seen this website, but if you haven't you should. It carries the Weight Watchers theme out to the hilt.

Regrettable Foods

We have a little walking parade here in my little hometown, which is filled with eccentrics who are bent towards the visual arts (or just generally bent, depending on your point of view) and when given a theme, will carry it out in fine and often hilarious form. Last year's walking parade was in fact themed "Regrettable Foods" and there were some pretty well done and funny costumes. Mrs. Mayhaw and I masked as "Adam and Eve" with Mrs. M leading me around with an apple on a stick. It is a very small town affair and probably not at all what many of you picture as Carnival, but in reality this parade is much more like what the Carnival that many locals experience than the breast baring nightmare shown on late night TV and in cheesy websites

This website gives you an example of what the parade looks like, but for some reason I can't connect to the link for last years parade. So just enjoy photos from last year (incidentally the Power Broker on Page 3 and the After the Parade boy on page 2 are Mayhaw offspring (I just looked at those pictures for the first time in two years and Good Lord how those kids grow)

Abita Springs Krewe of Push Mo'

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Thanks, Comfort Me, you made my day. That's mackeriffic! :laugh: Pee-your-pants funny.

Batgrrrl

Edited for incorrected derivation of mackerel root.

Edited by Batgrrrl (log)

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

I'm bumping this older topic, because we've had a recent resurgence of interest here in these cards (duplicate topics being created on them). Talk about these lovely culinary and cultural antiques here...

...if you DARE!

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"