• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Deconstructors

"What's for dinner?" she inquired.  "Pork roast, potatoes, gravy, veggies!" I responded.

Vegetarians can be such boars. I mean...boors....no wait, I mean BORES. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

I have a friend who is very guilty of the deconstuction of food. Not only that but now she will say she is allergic to things that I know she isn't. The only time I've eaten with her when she has ordered exactly how it's prepared was in Europe because she didn't speak the language!!!

In fact last night we went out for French and she wanted the quail. But it came with green curry sauce which I guess she hates. Order the lamb I said, no it comes with pesto sauce which she hates. So she orders the quail without the sauce and asks the waiter to have the kitchen put another sauce on it. As long as it's not pesto or mushrooms. GROAN!! Talk about disrupting the balance on a dish!

Of course there are things we all don't like or are allergic to but deconstructors are different. You know who you are!!! :wacko:

One word:

Tazer.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Oh, you mean this?

(Note: this link will expire around the end of June, 2004.)

LOL!!!! Hmmm, great idea. Also tonight for example I'm cooking for friends and she is preggo. Wow, you really have to think and ask with that one! Once I had a dinner party for 8. I had to make a chart because 1 only ate chicken, 1 only ate beef and pork, 1 only ate veggies and the rest of us will eat anything. The results??? Mini lasagnes in a variety of flavors so everyone could pick their own.

I actually have and keep a file on friends so that I can plan meals better. But I don't go in for the Atkins crap. In fact they are most likely to find pasta and bread on the table if they tell me that!

:wink:

"What's for dinner?" she inquired.  "Pork roast, potatoes, gravy, veggies!" I responded.

Vegetarians can be such boars. I mean...boors....no wait, I mean BORES. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Second that, and thanks to Mabelline and ellencho, also! :biggrin:

It got better: it seems as though, even though my friend isn't a vegetarian, she lives with two. Now get this: in a household of 6 people, only 2 are vegetarian...but one of them is so militant that *no* meat or meat products may be anywhere in the refrigerator. Yes, everyone has his or her own section of the 'fridge. Doesn't matter. No broth, no meat, nowhere in the house, never in the cookware or storage units. I've been poor before, but I'd have to be living much, much closer to the wind before I'd put up with that setup... :hmmm:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown