• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The "Tongue Thing"

DonRocks

I remember exactly where I was, chatting with my dining partner in a restaurant, when all of a sudden she let out a muffled shriek.

"What's wrong?"

"I don't want to tell you."

"Tell me!"

"It will ruin your meal."

"Tell me!"

"Look at the person to your right when she takes a bite of her food."

I stole a glance over my right shoulder and saw fork being raised to lips, when, like a viper, darting directly underneath the fork, came projecting out of the mouth approximately four inches of tongue.

Yuck!

Unfortunately, now that you've been presented with this, you will notice that a large percentage of diners in restaurants see it fit to use their tongues as a catchpan for anything that might happen to fall off the utensil.

Doing my part to combat global obesity by inducing mass nausea,

Rocks.

There are quite a few things people do when they eat that I doubt they're aware they're doing. In other words, if you eat alone a great deal, and you develop "alone habits" and no one has the heart to tell you you're sticking your tongue out further than Gene Simmons ...you won't know it. Perhaps next time you see this person, you can tap them politely on the shoulder and tell her. Beware that her tongue may whip out and lash you, though! :wink: I personally can't stand "fork scrapers". The people who have to scr-aaaaaaaaaa--pe the fork across their teeth to get the food off. :rolleyes:

My mom loves pointing tongue eaters out to me all the time, so I notice them too. It's really quite comical but after a while of watching them eat I become self-conscious of my own eating habits.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Odd that I've never ever noticed this but I suppose I'm absorbed enough in my own food, conversation with my dining partners or the book I"m reading at dinner that I've nevr really looked around.

But four inches ?!!! Damn.... that's a lot of tongue - I'm hard pressed to get mine to extend more than two inches yet I've never had any complaints. Uhhh.... about catching food with it :wink:

Tongue eaters?  What about tongue drinkers?  You know, the kind that lick the edges of their glasses to lap up the very last bead of liquid....  Yuck!!!

Now I am more than certain than ever that I will never be able to eat in a restaurant without spending an appreciable amount of time checking out the way in which people use their tongues in eating! :laugh:

And then the natural au courant question is how will their piercings on this organ affect the quality of their experiences? More intense or numb? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

No offense to tongue-piercers, but I easily refrained from that when my compadres and madres indulged was the thought of very hot tea, etc. on a metal ball in my mouth, and the knowledge that sooner or later I would accidentally bite my tongue...

No offense to tongue-piercers, but I easily refrained from that when my compadres and madres indulged was the thought of very hot tea, etc. on a metal ball in my mouth, and the knowledge that sooner or later I would accidentally bite my tongue...

Hot tea/drinks on that little metal ball?? Ouch

Allow me to add -- what happens when something like orange juice pulp or soup gets lodged beneath and around that little metal ball. They'll be tasting it long after!!! :shock:

Edited by Minister of Drink (log)

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

Eh, the tounge piercing isn't a problem with eating once the inital swelling (3-4 days) goes down, according to my once very heavily pierced husband. I never remember him complaining about hot drinks and he drinks coffee/espresso/hot tea in large amounts. As for food getting caught under, it's not a problem really, but if you do, you just take it out and clean it. No worse than getting food caught in your teeth.

But the tounge-fork thing? Creepy. My mom does it and it makes me and my sister want to scream. It just sends really bad cold chills down my spine when I see her do that. She doesn't so much use it as a catch all for what may drop, but as a fork-support. *Shudder*

Not as bad as that Mike's Hard Lime commerical with the tounge, though. Do they really think that ad is going to help sell product? Gah.

Gourmet Anarchy

Oh my. First I have the agony of listening to just a plain ol' Fork Scraper. Now I get to add the sound of a tongue-ring (tongue ball??) scraping along the fork with the teeth....as WELL as watching the tongue flapping around like a stunned trout. :blink: Let's not forget The Hunched Front of Notre Dame. He's the guy who HUNCHES over his food and crams it into his face fast as the speed of light. This is to avoid staining the shirt, I guess. On the flip side, we have The Lunched Front of Notre Dame. He forgot to stare at the Hunched Front. :laugh:

Edited by Pickles (log)

proof that Aliens live amongst us

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

So, if you have your tongue pierced, and you don't have the little metal piece in, do liquids go through to the other side?

My guess is that it's not a hole you could project a flash-light through and have it show up on the wall...although that may have proved to be hours of fun for someone...somewhere...at some time... :blink: When you remove the ring, the flesh kinda closes up around the hole. ::: shudder ::: I wonder if the oral hygiene of someone with a pierced tongue is better than that of a whole-and-intact tongued-person? I would hate to think of a chunk of food getting stuck in my hole :raz: and not having any sort of floss to excavate it. :sad:

Edited by Pickles (log)

I lick my spoon when I eat ice cream or creme brulee, stuff like that..... is that nasty?

Do have a thing about have forks touching my teeth don't like it, prefer to eat with chopsticks or my fingers (as I do at home and whenever I can get away with it) anyway not a huge fan of the fork but believe I use it correctly when I must (even less a fan of the spork)

On the tongue ring front, one friend of mine got her tongue peirced as a diet aid believing it would interfere enough with her taste buds that she would eat considerably less didn't work very well.

Dated a guy with a tongue ring .... it has its merits.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

So, if you have your tongue pierced, and you don't have the little metal piece in, do liquids go through to the other side?

OK, I don't know that I want to be known as the piercing expert around here, but I can tell you that it will probably not. Hole too small and at an odd angle for any pressurized squirting of liquid, which would be required if you hoped to get anything through the hole. However, I'm guessing you could squirt some liquid through a labrae (the piercing on the chin below the bottom lip). Cue everyone screaming in horror.

And DH's oral hygene is much better than mine anyway, with or without a piercing (a bit of a fanatic), but if you've got a tounge piercing and half a brain, you swish with Listerine at least once daily (prevents infection, speeds healing).

And ew. Tounge thing not sexy. Especially when it's my mom doing it. And no cracks from NeroW about how it's sexy especially if my mom's doing it.

Gourmet Anarchy

Honey...please forgive me...please...but it's T-O-N-G-U-E. Not "tounge." All this piercing talk reminds me of some old comedy schtick where the one cowboy shoots another cowboy full of holes, and then he drinks water and suddenly resembles a fountain. :raz: I see these kids drinking soda and I duck...

You know what's also disgusting? When someone puts a spoonful of food into his or her mouth and pulls the spoon back out with half the food still on it, the food having a sheen of saliva on it and maybe even showing marks from scraping past lips and/or teeth. Ugh. I've seen some people eat every spoonful this way, some of them pausing between spoonfuls to examine the food they just pulled back out of their mouths.

You know what's also disgusting? When someone puts a spoonful of food into his or her mouth and pulls the spoon back out with half the food still on it

Oh, yes...I do that with ice cream when I'm alone and I know what I must look like. :shock: If I do that in front of my Mom (and I am 44 years old..) she practically swats my behind. Somehow...I forgive people doing it with ice cream, but not a spoonful of mashed potato or cottage cheese. A food channel show on ice cream says to enjoy the maximum flavor from it, you scoop it up with your spoon and then put the spoon inside your mouth upside down so all your taste buds get covered. Why limit it to ice cream! Let's start a whole new digusting habit! We'll start with the potatoes.... :laugh:

And then the natural au courant question is how will their piercings on this organ affect the quality of their experiences? More intense or numb? :rolleyes:

Jeez Louise, but I have begun to quote myself!! :rolleyes:

I think this was about how people eat their food in a restaurant and now I have begun a thread within a thread on tongue piercing ... oy!! :laugh:

My guess is that it's not a hole you could project a flash-light through and have it show up on the wall...although that may have proved to be hours of fun for someone...somewhere...at some time...  When you remove the ring, the flesh kinda closes up around the hole. ::: shudder ::: I wonder if the oral hygiene of someone with a pierced tongue is better than that of a whole-and-intact tongued-person? I would hate to think of a chunk of food getting stuck in my hole  and not having any sort of floss to excavate it. 
I don't think the tongue thing is wretched. I think it's kind of sexy. 
proof that Aliens live amongst us 

So let us resume the primary topic on disgusting food habits ...

sorry for the "digression" or even "the detour"!! :biggrin:

sorry for the "digression" or even "the detour"!! :biggrin:

Well we can now say, when you come to a fork in the road....LICK IT! :laugh:

Pickles, just let me say publicly here, that you are one very sharp cookie!! :biggrin:

Thanks for this!! and don't pierce anything until further notice!! :laugh: