• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se Fire, Reopening, Rescheduling

ellenesk

I wish you the best of luck, robert40! According to the first diagnoses by a neurologist, my mother should have died in 1992. She's very much alive, kicking, and working today. Doctors can be wrong.

And I hope that when Per Se reopens, you'll be able to fully enjoy it.

Michael aka "Pan"

i stopped following this thread a few days ago, but rest assured, i'm going to talk to my husband tonite about all of this and get back to you all.

Tommy? You're MARRIED?

Surely you've seen his many post references to "Mrs. Tommy" ? I have always assumed that she was, indeed, his wife :smile:

i'm going to talk to my husband tonite about all of this

Tom, are you trying desperately to tell us something?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Why would Keller - with the French Laundry - even try to do this restaurant in New York?

To "push the envelope." Because that's what he does best.

i am probably the least qualified person to be saying this, but which envelope would he be pushing?

I think the envelope he is trying to push is more on the business side - the idea of pulling off a superior product in two different (in many ways) places.

Bill Russell

Why would Keller - with the French Laundry - even try to do this restaurant in New York?

To "push the envelope." Because that's what he does best.

i am probably the least qualified person to be saying this, but which envelope would he be pushing?

I think the envelope he is trying to push is more on the business side - the idea of pulling off a superior product in two different (in many ways) places.

bilrus, i agree with you on this. it is sufficiently difficult for a chef to open more than one restaurant within reasonable geographical confines...but to attempt this cross country is an even greater challenge. it certainly puts a huge burden on the chef de cuisine to maintain the level of quality people have come to expect from arguably the best restaurant in the united states.

I can't express how moved I am by everyone's caring word's and PM's.

Thank You All.

plpcolumbia,

Yes I guess you can say my expectation's are high but I'm sure we won't be disappointed, and if so well then there is alway's Lombardi's. :biggrin:

Robert R

This has probably already been said, but I feel bad for all the people that were probably extremely excited to start working there--the cooks, the wine folks, the front-of-house. It would be sort of like waking up on Christmas morning and going downstairs to open the presents, only to have someone tell you "nope, sorry, go back to bed, have to wait another month." :unsure:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Just for the record, this has been on the Per Se website since Feb. 23rd of this year:

"Please check back regularly for announcements of the re-opening of the restaurant and reservations desk."

Maybe someone changed the meaning of the term "regularly."

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I couldn't tell if he meant that May 1st would be the re-opening or that it would be May 1st at the earliest. :wacko:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Assuming the best (a May 1 reopening), I should think people should start to get phone calls by next week or so to reschedule. I'm waiting anxiously to hear reports about the calls....

I read that to mean Per Se wouldn't reopen until May 1 at the earliest. I also wouldn't read anything in the Post, let alone Page 6, as truly reliable information.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

There have been several recent instances when I've found the Post's restaurant-related content to be more realistic than that in the New York Times!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm happy for Keller and the staff that he has "great" insurance. But could you imagine the premium increase at renewal time.

May 1st is a Saturday and it's Kentucky Derby day (I throw a big party for all the thoroughbreds). I couldn't make it that night - can't they wait until Sunday. :hmmm::rolleyes:

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

We shouldn't need to speculate about whether a Page Six report contains an accurate statement of the latest opening-date projection from Per Se. The restaurant's management and publicists should be taking steps to get official statements out to customers and media. Clearly, there is enough media interest here for Page Six to be running items about Per Se's reopening, and there is enough consumer interest that such reports get discussed on eGullet. So why not just provide the information?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Clearly, there is enough media interest here for Page Six to be running items about Per Se's reopening, and there is enough consumer interest that such reports get discussed on eGullet. So why not just provide the information?

That would make too much sense. :unsure:

I live in Chicago and am planning a trip to NYC 5/7 to 5/9. I probably shouldn't even hope to get in then, but I will be back over Thanksgiving week, if not sooner.

We shouldn't need to speculate about whether a Page Six report contains an accurate statement of the latest opening-date projection from Per Se. The restaurant's management and publicists should be taking steps to get official statements out to customers and media. Clearly, there is enough media interest here for Page Six to be running items about Per Se's reopening, and there is enough consumer interest that such reports get discussed on eGullet. So why not just provide the information?

My guess is the PR firm is too embarassed at this point. After letting the "two weeks" go public at the beginning and saying nothing since, the firm has painted itself into a corner. It has let specualtion and rumor rule the day. If they were to annouce a day now, who would believe them?

Per Se has proven itself in my mind. Its pre-opening comments about the importance of the customer were merely words. When it came to action, they proved to be exactly the same as any other company - "treat the consumer like mushrooms - keep them in the dark and feed them a lot of shit."

Per Se will be a tremendous success and reservations will continue to be at a premium and Keller will gain even more culinary respect (as he deserves). But corporately it's just another company hiding behind its massive ego. Time Warner should be proud, they have found a friend.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

"treat the consumer like mushrooms - keep them in the dark and feed them a lot of shit."

Hey they stole eGullet's policy!