• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se Fire, Reopening, Rescheduling

ellenesk

Got my call! :biggrin: March 28th replaced with June 12th.

Also, it has to be an "even exchange" -- I had a weekend (sunday) lunch reservation and was limited to another lunch reservation, though it could be a different day (now saturday).

Got my call. Times were already getting somewhat limited (at least that can fit my schedule). They are currently taking reservations only until June 20th and only for re-bookings. Interestingly, Fri. May 21st is closed for a private party. In addition, while they are only having one seating per evening they are staggering the reservations. As such for a party of four I wasn't able to get a reservation later than 5:30PM. I guess I will be receiving the first pitch on re-opening day since I (had to) made it for May 20th. Not ideal, but....

Doc did they give you an "even exchange"?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Not that I'm complaining given that I'm rescheduled, but it does seem to be a strange process.

Regardless of what date I asked about (sat. or sun. in june), the only time I could have for a party of 2 was 11:30 a.m. Coming from central CT, I'd barely be done with breakfast by the time we had to leave to get there for that!! My "old" reservation was for 12:30pm. She offered to allow me to increase my party size to 4, which I did (and made a friend very happy in the process), and then I could have a 1pm reservation. If the restaurant is only doing one seating per table (or a little more), why 11:30 am? I can only imagine that is the last spot to go, even after a 5:30 dinner reservation....

Also, she did seem hesitant to offer me the June 26th weekend, even when I asked (and got the 11:30 am option again), so I'm curious as to whether they are somehow trying to fit as many people as possible into that first month for some reason. Which, now that I think about it, would also explain why there might only be 11:30 am reservations left....

Now I'm just left to ponder when Keller departs for FL -- before or after my June 12 date????

So my day has been made significantly brighter by the fact that I just got my re-scheduling call. Had Friday April 2 at 5:30 now have Friday June 11 at 5:45. I was also told that they were trying to "match" my old reservation. (Match is my word. I have already forgotten what word the reservationist used.)

Got my call. Times were already getting somewhat limited (at least that can fit my schedule). They are currently taking reservations only until June 20th and only for re-bookings. Interestingly, Fri. May 21st is closed for a private party. In addition, while they are only having one seating per evening they are staggering the reservations. As such for a party of four I wasn't able to get a reservation later than 5:30PM. I guess I will be receiving the first pitch on re-opening day since I (had to) made it for May 20th. Not ideal, but....

Doc did they give you an "even exchange"?

I had a Tuesday evening at 7PM for four people. I now have a Thursday evening at 5:30 for four people. I would prefer my original time, but this will do.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The New York Times reported today that Per Se will re-open May 1st and their reservation line will open the same day. Does this mean anyone can walk in on Saturday the first (also Kentucky Derby Day) and be seated? Or at least the first 16 groups?

Why would they open the reservation lines the same day they're opening the restaurant?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

The New York Times reported today that Per Se will re-open May 1st and their reservation line will open the same day. Does this mean anyone can walk in on Saturday the first (also Kentucky Derby Day) and be seated? Or at least the first 16 groups?

Why would they open the reservation lines the same day they're opening the restaurant?

I assume that they have rescheduled cancelled reservations to fill tables for a few weeks, at least.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I assume that they have rescheduled cancelled reservations to fill tables for a few weeks, at least.

True, they have re-scheduled, but no one has a date prior to May 20th. According to the people on this board who have been called, that was the first date offered.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Before the May 20th re-opening date, I had a request in with them for May 13th. When they rebooked me they apologized that they could not accomodate that request, but the re-opening would not be until the 20th. My suspicion is the 1st of May is when they will be re-opening the reservation line, but not the restaurant. If the restaurant does re-open then I will be more than a little annoyed because it would have been better and easier for me to reschedule earlier in the month.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

My suspicion is the 1st of May is when they will be re-opening the reservation line, but not the restaurant.

Just went to check the actual paper as I could not find the info on the NYT website.

In the "Off the Menu" section it says Per Se "will reopen May 1 and will begin taking reservations that day at (phone)..."

To me, that certainly means that someone will be dining there that night. I'd be annoyed too if that is in fact the case.

My suspicion is the 1st of May is when they will be re-opening the reservation line, but not the restaurant.

Just went to check the actual paper as I could not find the info on the NYT website.

In the "Off the Menu" section it says Per Se "will reopen May 1 and will begin taking reservations that day at (phone)..."

To me, that certainly means that someone will be dining there that night. I'd be annoyed too if that is in fact the case.

Maybe their press agents have just done another outstanding job in mastering the art of confusion.

Rich Schulhoff

The French Laundry site now states that they will not begin to accept reservations until May 1st. It was April 15th as of two days ago.

It does say the restaurant will open in May. Is it possible both the French Laundry and Per Se will re-open on the same day? It seems May 1st is going to be a very busy day. I hope the phone companies can handle the traffic.

Rich Schulhoff

No not Fat Guy.

Per Se. :biggrin:

My wife told me I have issues,while my mother use to call me a half wit.

Oh Well,same thing just another generation.

That is very funny... However, someone hearing you call your dog might think you named him Percy...

Maybe you are just a huge Shelley fan or a frequent watcher of The Scarlet Pimpernel...

Something new on Per Se's website this morning:

"The reservations office will reopen on May 1st and will be taking requests for Thursday, July 1st. Thank you for your patience during our renovation process. We look forward to seeing you at Per Se soon!"

I guess the NY Times was wrong about a May 1st opening for dinner, unless the first three weeks are for VIP's, media and other dignitaries.

Rich Schulhoff

I still haven't received my re-scheduling call. I had an April 11th reservation. Has anyone with a later date been called yet?

Rich Schulhoff

Just got rescheduled; had Fri night in March 10:30pm got Fri night in June 9pm, not bad. Only thing is that by this point in June I am usually heading to the beach on Fri nights. I guess I'll just have to suffer :biggrin:

Received my re-scheduling call moments ago. Unfortunately, we were not able to work out a date. (Only taking reservations through July 4th now.)

They have made a note of my preference of July 12th and will give me "preference" when I call on May 12th. They did know: 1. I ate there on 2/17 and 2. that my second reservation was cancelled due to the fire. Phone service was extremely polite and professional.

I did ask when the restaurant was re-opening and the answer was "...on or about May 20th."

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff