• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pure Liquid Capsaisin Extract

markk

I bought some pure capsaisin based on the desscriptions I found that say:

"A Scoville rating of 500,000 units! This is the original Capsaicin Extract on the market. Adding it to anything will turn on the heat, but will not effect the flavor. Capsaicin Extract, Vegetable Oil; Designed for the food service industry, Pure Cap is virtually pure capsaicin. This is strictly an additive for adding heat to large quantities of food using an eye-dropper for better control and repeatability. A few drops will add heat to an entire vat of chili. At 500,000 Scoville Units, this is NOT hot sauce. Please use this product responsibly; Real Person Red says, 'I use this stuff to make my Chicken Wings supper spicy because it doesn't change the flavor of my sauce. It just add supper heat."

Has anybody tried it? Does anybody have any experience with it?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

peppers.com

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I can think of some uses for it, but they all involve people I dislike immensely.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Why bother buying this stuff? I could understand it if you have arthritis and want to make your own ointment (there haven't been very many studies on it but capsaisan may reduce inflammation due to arthritis when applied topically).

I suppose you could always add this stuff to chili or your own home brew, etc, to give yourself some heat. But then why not go ahead and use chile peppers in that case?

You could also add this pure capsaisan to liquid fertilizer and spray it on your plants to prevent animals from chewing the leaves, etc.

Otherwise, the uses may be limited.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver