• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 2

Gustatorian

Don't forget the residuals income from replays into different markets begins to add up into macho bucks very quickly.

wesza,

I love your posts and your usual but sometimes wackily delivered wisdom. However, I'd think the producers made damn sure no one with a SAG card was hired or shown on camera--except maybe for Bourdain who probably gets a check for five bucks every month for his Rocco appearance. Come to think of it, lack of SAG talent in the front of the house may of juiced up the first season.

PJ

I'm not sure about the "SAG" Cards.

If I'm not mistaken some people seem to feel thats a prerequisite for many Front of the House Employees at many NYC Restaurants.

I remember hiring many aspiring entertainers, who were concerned about being provided the opportunity to go to auditions who were very competent wait persons, but had priorities to the arts. Often they did excellent jobs, were reliable and very professional and appreciated employers being considerate.

I'm sure that there are many working at almost every upscale Restaurant in NYC and LA who hold "SAG" Cards.

Don't forget "Reality Shows" are somehow classified as News or something else ridiculous, like Gold Mines so the cards aren't applicable.

Irwin :rolleyes:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I feel that even the Court Case, that still proceeding even after the shooting of the televisions 6 episodes have been completed will eventually go nowhere, considering the speed of New York Courts until you face the Judge is measured in years not months. The Judge require that every attempt to settle this matter be exhausted before actually hearing the case.

If all the allegations had any merit it would result in various types of Bankruptcy before getting that far since time is a reality not a television series.

With respect to the legal issues, it is likely that something gets to state court sooner than later. If the lawsuit related to past events, it would take years. However, if they are fighting over day to day control, they will likely be in court when one side decides to try to kick the other out immediately or if there are issues of handling the money.

As for bankruptcy, is the restaurant a separate entity? Who holds the debt? If it is just a lost investment of JC, or continuing losses of his investment funds, bankruptcy would do not good at all. Bankruptcy is basically to reorganize debt, not reorganize investments or ownership. It is speculation, but for something like this, the major lender is probably a bank with a security interest in the real estate. Bankruptcy won't help that either, and most likely they are being paid.

That aside, what I see is one person who wants the glory without the effort of managing, and one person who is an expert at managiang and making money. On paper, it seems like a great team. If Rocco could have a chance at having a restaurant with his name on it, show up when he wants, have no real responsibilities, and basically be a celebrity, what is he holding out for as the restaurant is going down the tubes?

Edited by Sbriddle (log)

Just a little Primer for those who need the bullet points: in no particular order.

:blink: Regarding liquor licenses, they opened with Catering licenses which had to be issued weekly for several months until their "real" one came through.

:blink: the show was not "directed" per se, but it was "produced" and those involved were often asked to re-create moments that the cameras missed

:wacko: Chodorow has admitted that he let Rocco lose money to make a point, so that was not calculated for the cameras, it was a fuck you to Rocco set up to make him look like an idiot (as if the help were required)

:wacko: Drew was 20, not 19 or 17. And he gets his ass handed to him on the next episode

:wacko: how do you lose money when you're doing 500 covers a night? Pay the hostess $60k salary, spend $4000 a month on flowers, order Laguiole steak knives and don't use them, spend another $15k a year on pink paper for menus, spend... oh never mind

:hmmm: Bourdain (along with Meatball Guy, Eric Ripert, the staff et al) do not get paid and are not required to because the show is produced by the NEWS department of NBC; everyone signs a release so that NBC can use the footage to whatever end they like ad infinitum without incurring costs like residuals or the like

:shock: Please do not call me a "Roccette" for god's sake!!

:hmmm: Bourdain (along with Meatball Guy, Eric Ripert, the staff et al) do not get paid and are not required to because the show is produced by the NEWS department of NBC; everyone signs a release so that NBC can use the footage to whatever end they like ad infinitum without incurring costs like residuals or the like

Sparkitus,

That's interesting...the other day Donald Trump said he was going to get a lot more money for another season of 'The Apprentice.' So is Apprentice paid and Rocco's not paid?

When I interviewed Topher and Tad from Season 1 of The Restaurant they also told me that none of them were paid by NBC....

This 'Roccette-Chowderhead' nickname thing is creeping me out... I have visions now of Rocco dressed up like a chorine in a kickline.... and Jeffrey Chodorow wearing a hat (like a cheesehead) only of a bowl of Clam Chowder... Manhattan style of course.... :blink:

Sparkitus,

That's interesting...the other day Donald Trump said he was going to get a lot more money for another season of 'The Apprentice.' So is Apprentice paid and Rocco's not paid?

When I interviewed Topher and Tad from Season 1 of The Restaurant they also told me that none of them were paid by NBC....

This 'Roccette-Chowderhead' nickname thing is creeping me out... I have visions now of Rocco dressed up like a chorine in a kickline.... and Jeffrey Chodorow wearing a hat (like a cheesehead) only of a bowl of Clam Chowder... Manhattan style of course.... :blink:

There's a difference between getting paid and getting paid as an actor. If "The Apprentice" is produced by NBC News, Trump is free to work out whatever kind of contract he likes with NBC, as are the other people who appear on the show. If it's being produced as a dramatic series, the terms of the contracts would be governed by union regulations (meaning Trump would be deamed to be an actor), which include required residual payments, etc.

It's no wonder the networks love "reality" TV. No SAG to deal with, no AFTRA, probably no Writers' Guild. They've just removed a couple of layers of salaries.

Sparkitus,

There's a difference between getting paid and getting paid as an actor. If "The Apprentice" is produced by NBC News, Trump is free to work out whatever kind of contract he likes with NBC, as are the other people who appear on the show. If it's being produced as a dramatic series, the terms of the contracts would be governed by union regulations (meaning Trump would be deamed to be an actor), which include required residual payments, etc.

It's no wonder the networks love "reality" TV. No SAG to deal with, no AFTRA, probably no Writers' Guild. They've just removed a couple of layers of salaries.

Trump is also Executive Producer of The Apprentice, so he stands to reap some of the financial rewards it yields on that basis as well.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

My final though - I wish my copy center had gotten the $10,000 card order. We turn out cards at six to eight or nine cents each. Over a buck a card. Gotta raise my prices.

I wish they had shown one of the cards. I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to make a $1.80 card. full color, gold hotstamped mylar with an embossed crest, die cut to look like a meal? Maybe scratch-and-snif of the meatballs?

Living hard will take its toll...

I have a hard time not siding with Chodorow after watching the show.

Same here. Kinda sad isn't it.

Yikes I thought I was the only one.

Living hard will take its toll...

Uzay, you mention on your Web site that Season 2 of The Restaurant is "crazier and funnier" than Season 1. Crazier...maybe, but I guess I am at a loss to to see the humor so far.... So it actually gets...funny.... Maybe when the chef gets fired.... Guess that might be the comic relief for this show...?

Edited by TrishCT (log)

PJ

I'm not sure about the "SAG" Cards.

If I'm not mistaken some people seem to feel thats a prerequisite for many Front of the House Employees at many NYC Restaurants.

I remember hiring many aspiring entertainers, who were concerned about being provided the opportunity to go to auditions who were very competent wait persons, but had priorities to the arts. Often they did excellent jobs, were reliable and very professional and appreciated employers being considerate.

I'm sure that there are many working at almost every upscale Restaurant in NYC and LA who hold "SAG" Cards.

Don't forget "Reality Shows" are somehow classified as News or something else ridiculous, like Gold Mines so the cards aren't applicable.

Irwin :rolleyes:

This 'Roccette-Chowderhead' nickname thing is creeping me out...  I have visions now of Rocco dressed up like a chorine in a kickline.... and Jeffrey Chodorow wearing a hat (like a cheesehead)  only of a bowl of Clam Chowder... Manhattan style of course....  :blink:

I believe first cite--I've no OED--on the word "Chowderhead" was in a Three Stooges episode. Does that help with your mental image? :raz:

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

This 'Roccette-Chowderhead' nickname thing is creeping me out...  I have visions now of Rocco dressed up like a chorine in a kickline.... and Jeffrey Chodorow wearing a hat (like a cheesehead)  only of a bowl of Clam Chowder... Manhattan style of course....  :blink:

I believe first cite--I've no OED--on the word "Chowderhead" was in a Three Stooges episode. Does that help with your mental image? :raz:

PJ

Here's the OED definition of Chowderhead:

dial. = CHOWTER - HEADED

1819 SCOTT Lett. 15 April in Lockhart, "I hesitate a little about Raeburn... [hc] has twice already made a very chowder-headed person of me." 1851 H. MELVILLE Whale xv. 73 "What's that stultifying saying about chowdered headed people?"

I know that while we were taping, the was so much drama and heavy talk in the air, that the producers were looking to lighten up the show a bit. I can't tell you how the humor will be injected, but having lived through the 3 weeks of filming I can tell you that there are some funny funny moments That I hope won't end up on the cutting room floor. I also want to mention that this is the best forum to talk about the show. I really enjoy the banter here, so smart and educated. Unlike the people I wait on at Rocco's. By the by, This weekend was a great example of the show affects business. We did 430 covers Friday night with no Computer System!!! We did 570 covers on saturday which broke our record. You have to give props to our BOH and FOH for being able to pull that off and still make sure all of our guests have a fun experience.

For those of you in NYC, i would like to invite you to watch the show with me and some of the other staff members tonight at PROOF 3rd ave and 19th St.

For those of you in NYC, i would like to invite you to watch the show with me and some of the other staff members tonight at PROOF 3rd ave and 19th St.

I am so unbelievably tempted to join you, it isn't funny. I've already promised my SO I'll tape the show for him (he's a new beverage manager at [restaurant censored for the time being] , and is in quasi-training), so on the one hand he'd be disappointed. But on the other hand, one night last season when he and I were grabbing a drink by my place downtown, Laurent walked in and we both turned into major geeks ("Ohmigod it's LAURENT! LOOK! OVER THERE!").

Do you do this every week, Uzay, or just tonight?

So last season was basically about the drama-queen-front-of-house staff. This season will be about the behind-the-scenes-financial people. Maybe next season, Rocco will cook.

If he still has a job....

Well if the ratings mean anything, Rocco may not have a Reality show job OR a cooking job at that restaurant when this is all over. 2nd place for the timeslot may not seem that bad... until you look at the difference in actual viewers--an estimated 21 million for "CSI: Miami" vs. an estimated 6.5 million for Rocky The Chef and his band of merry men (and women).

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

So last season was basically about the drama-queen-front-of-house staff.  This season will be about the behind-the-scenes-financial people.  Maybe next season, Rocco will cook.
If he still has a job....

Well if the ratings mean anything, Rocco may not have a Reality show job OR a cooking job at that restaurant when this is all over. 2nd place for the timeslot may not seem that bad... until you look at the difference in actual viewers--an estimated 21 million for "CSI: Miami" vs. an estimated 6.5 million for Rocky The Chef and his band of merry men (and women).

Even looking at the ratings in those terms, however, doesn't really say much. Reality shows, for the most part, build an audience as they run. If the show were to maintain those viewing levels throughout the run, it probalby woudln't be back. But it built an audience last time, and based on the track record for the genre, likely will again. Heck, even The Apprentice struggled to find an audience it's first couple of weeks out.

I suppose we have to wait and see more reports, because from what I recall some of the best "numbers" last year were demographically based-- you know... like "among adults 18-49" or "among one-armed monkeys 4-7", or something like that. I DO know that last year's premiere episode had 8.4 million viewers, versus 6.5 this time. For a returning show that kind of drop is considered a disaster--especially when it's got the same timeslot.

They also apparently put stock in how much viewership falls or rises from the program on immediately before it, and I know that with last year's premiere the viewership rose from it's lead-in. This year, with 6.5 million I doubt that happened, although I don't have the numbers handy to be sure.

I suppose NBC is a good place to be for a badly rated show though. ABC and FOX have been known to yank things in the middle. I don't know if NBC does that--especially with a Mark Burnett production.

EDIT - actually this story disagrees with The New York Post a bit and claims that The Restaurant was third in it's slot, not second.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Well I for one don't care about his legal shenanigans, though I'm sure you will all blast me for thinking that way. I think he's a great chef, never looses sight of the average cook and a likeable cad with a boyish charm to boot!

So there. I said my piece!...hey, what's a girl to do anyway. He's cute and SEXY :wub:

Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."-Anon

Now THAT's comedy. A "Days of Our Lives" commercial talking about "what Rocco does when he's not in the Restaurant"... placed right in a commercial break from a segment talking about how Rocco is never in the restaurant because he's too busy off being a star. Nice synergy.

Almost as funny is the intern kid talking about "15 years of experience" and then calling the co-owner of the restaurant a "douchebag", even if he also included the honorific "Captain". Even if it was true, even if Mr. Intern is an employee of the parent corporation and not Rocco (and he's not REALLY an employee of anyone if he's an intern), you just don't do that. I mean, at least not until you are sitting at home that night with your feet up, or on an Internet BBS after all of this is LONG over. :biggrin:

If Uzay is around I'm curious about the waitress they keep showing who seems to do nothing except stand around and gossip. Is she for real? The scummy/lazy bartender seemed like an obvious plant for extra drama, but the gossip? Could go either way. She certainly doesn't seem to get much work done though.

So did we learn anything new of substance in this episode (other than the fact that Laurent saw financial statements and Rocco didn't)? I'm not sure.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Again, 2 episodes in, I still gotta side with Chodorow. And believe me, that bothers me, a LOT.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host