• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beard Papa Sweets Cafe

Jason Perlow

Next day update: after a night in the fridge, the top of the pastry is pretty soggy, but the bottom with the pie crust is still nice and crunchy. The filling is ever so slightly more flavorful, but still not much.

I hope I can get HWOE to eat at least one of the two remaining puffs. There's no nutrition labelling, but these things can't be low-fat or in any way healthy. :biggrin:

I braved the line yesterday and agree with Suzanne. Nice crisp pastry. The filling good, but I was expecting more vanilla flavor. A total mess to munch while waiting for the M104. I'm curious about the other flavors of filling, hope we don't have to wait too long.

My final report on this: Yesterday morning (more than 48 hours after purchase), the last of the cream puffs were finally finished. Damned if the bottom crust didn't still have some crunch to it! (Although the top of the puff was a total sog.) The filling had indeed increased slightly more in flavor, but in the end the overwhelming impression was of whipped cream.

HWOE finally ate one, and said, "Hey, this is really good!" There you have it, folks, the definitive review. :rolleyes: From someone who does not analyze his food but simply eats and enjoys. :wub:

BTW, as a bizarre, NYC-is-just-another-small-town occurrence: we were at City Center 3 times this weekend to see Paul Taylor Dance Company, and on our way in to one performance I noticed in the lobby the woman who I was sure had been right behind me on line at Beard Papa's. She eventually sat in the same section as we did, and when I went up to her and asked, "Didn't we stand next to each other on the creampuff line?" she laughed and acknowledged, yes, we had. Ach, NY is SUCH as small town. :laugh:

Stopped by today -- not much to add to the already great report, other than that the "Pipin' Hot" in the title is, as mentioned, a complete fallacy. I suspect there is o "Beard Papa" either, which means that more than half of the title is wrong. It's worth a trip for the novelty, but I couldn't imagine regularly stopping by there unless it's on the way from something to something else (though, since they are only a couple of blocks from the Papaya King -> Lincoln Center route frequently taken by me at about 6:45, I could see myself allowing 5 or so more minutes and making them part of the routine).

How do they compare to Italian bakery cream puffs.

What's the big difference?

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I walked by yesterday afternoon. The place was pretty empty. I guess it's already last week's news.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

How do they compare to Italian bakery cream puffs.

What's the big difference?

The double shell stays very crisp. And all by itself, the shell is delicious. Come to think of it, if they would just sell the shell, they'd do fine. :hmmm:

I thought the cream was totally fine -- the shell is fantastic, but the cream is definitely good.

To me, the big problem with the Puffs is that they're almost ludicrously messy -- significantly messier than, say, a cream-filled donut. Maybe I need to refine an effective way of eating them.

Cool coverage of the opening on The Gothamist, a local blogger's page.

http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2004/03/...r_west_side.php

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Luscious Tenderness and

Sweet Compassion

Bring Joy and Contentment

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Luscious Tenderness and

Sweet Compassion

Bring Joy and Contentment

Wow. With comments like that, who needs a SO?

:laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I walked by yesterday afternoon. The place was pretty empty. I guess it's already last week's news.

Sunday 3/14/04, about 7:10 pm, LOOONG line out the door, about halfway down the block. I didn't wait. maybe tomorrow.

Was it in the newspapers today?

I walked by yesterday afternoon.  The place was pretty empty.  I guess it's already last week's news.

Sunday 3/14/04, about 7:10 pm, LOOONG line out the door, about halfway down the block. I didn't wait. maybe tomorrow.

Was it in the newspapers today?

I walked by last Tuesday evening, about 7:30. Also, a long line out the door. So I guess they're catching on. (I didn't wait.)

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering what the consensus is on Beard Papa on B'way in the upper 70s.

I found the cream puff to be delightfully rich, not too sweet, a nice pick up and eat on the go sort of thing. Wish they had a Beard Papa in my neck of the woods.

Edited by mpav (log)

Finally had one today. I found the shell intriguing, as i couldn't really tell two separate elements, it was very tasty. The cream was rich and not too sweet, but like some other posters upthread i would have preferred a stronger vanilla flavor.

After visiting Japan last December and tasting "Shoe Cream" cream puffs, one observation I can make is that the typical Japanese cream puff does not have a shell that is as hard or crusty as the Beard Papa version.

My girlfriend, a native of Tokyo, introduced me to Japanese cream puffs (as well as Japanese chiffon style cheese cake). As she had explained to me, the Japanese shoe creams (and cheese cake) are distintive in that they are not as sweet as American pasteries. According to my girlfriend, mothers would purchase "shoe creams" for their children as a less expensive option to more expensive pasteries on trips to bakeries, supermarkets, and department stores.

I will post comments about Japanese chiffon style cheese cake in a separate post.

Edited by mascarpone (log)

I was here yesterday. There was a line out the door and it was kind of cold out. I too was very impressed by the crispyness of the shell, but rather diassapointed in the cream. It was very smooth, but didn't have enough flavor for me.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

I was here yesterday. There was a line out the door and it was kind of cold out. I too was very impressed by the crispyness of the shell, but rather diassapointed in the cream. It was very smooth, but didn't have enough flavor for me.

--------------------

Mike

This flavor issue concerning the vanilla custard is an intriguing. Out of curiosity... do you think the weak flavor might instead be a more subtle flavor? Is the vanilla actually weak or is there a lack of sweetness? If there was more sweetner do you think the vanilla flavor would be enhanced?

My point is that perhaps in the US we have come to expect a more dramatic flavor in our desserts (flavors that are magnified and enhanced by sweetners (sugar) and/or salt (in other foods).

mascarpone

Edited by mascarpone (log)

Come to think of it, if they would just sell the shell, they'd do fine. :hmmm:

One of the wife's coworkers was in there and actually saw someone try to buy just the shell, which they refused to do, holding up the line for several minutes. The manager claimed it was 'corporate policy'.

We got to try them the other day. There was a line out the door, but it moved fairly quickly, so not a long wait. Agree that they were messy--they tasted good but might have liked a little more pastry, a little less cream filling.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

This flavor issue concerning the vanilla custard is an intriguing. Out of curiosity... do you think the weak flavor might instead be a more subtle flavor? Is the vanilla actually weak or is there a lack of sweetness? If there was more sweetner do you think the vanilla flavor would be enhanced?

My point is that perhaps in the US we have come to expect a more dramatic flavor in our desserts (flavors that are magnified and enhanced by sweetners (sugar) and/or salt (in other foods).

mascarpone

I would think that the less-sweet cream would allow the vanilla to come through more strongly on its own. But it doesn't. And to me, vanilla is what enhances sweetness, not the other way around. (I was very happy that the cream was NOT overly sweetened; sorry if that did not come through clearly.)

According to my girlfriend, mothers would purchase "shoe creams" for their children as a less expensive option to more expensive pasteries on trips to bakeries, supermarkets, and department stores.

do the japanese actually spell it "shoe" cream? when i first read your post, i was a little put off as i was just reading how everyone thought the flavor could use a little push...i mean if you're infusing shoes in the cream...hehe

"choux" meaning "cabbage"