• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Blog!

Marlene

I'm really full from a pastrami and cole slaw dinner at Katz's, yet that chili looks so good that I want to eat it! :laugh:

Who's Miss Vickie?

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan, I gather that Miss Vickie is Little Debbie's cousin. :wink:

Marlene, this is great! And now I know another reason why I like you: does the phrase "PERT-CPM" ring a bell?? That, my friends, is why those cupboards are so enviable: remember that Marlene said she's a Facilities Manager? That is the HEIGHT of organization!

Thank you for opening you life, your home, and all to us, Marlene. :wub:

Who's Miss Vickie?

Not sure who Miss Vickie is, but they are Canadian Frito-Lay potato chips.

edit to add: perhaps I should refer to them properly as the Canadienne pommes de terre croustilles? :raz:

Marlene, I go bonkers for Rice Crispy Treats. Which is why they are banned from my kitchen and household. I cannot control myself with those things. Then I drive everyone around me nuts from the sugar buzz. They ususally have to be ripped from my tightly clamped fingers. :blink:

Edited by beans (log)

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I can't find a link to your chili recipe. What do you put in it?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

This is fun! I'm enjoying it all...

Drowning in envy over all the cupboard space. I have a Japanese kitchen, which means the whole kitchen including sink, counter, and stove-top, fits in about 9 feet of wall space. No cupboards elsewhere, so I have wallpaper covered apple cartons stacked on the fridge etc. to hold things like cake tins.

Yes, yes, where are the pix of Ryan's village?! My 12 year old is a "make-it" guy, has to be reminded about the "no soldering before breakfast" rule from time to time.

If Ryan has recently started the saxophone, the water problem may resolve itself has he gets better control of his breath - beginning flute-players tend to use too much breath and produce roiling rivers of condensation too.

Congratulations on the theory pass. I am deeply impressed...my 10 year old is starting on pieces from the Suzuki Book 8 in violin (but is not a Suzuki student), and he STILL can't tell me the names of the notes on the staff. I once took a music book that he said he needed all the way to New Zealand, only to discover that he wanted it because he liked to look at the cover illustration while he played...

Snacks today...10 year old has a friend to play, another kid saw them walk past and invited himself. They motored through 1-2 steamed pork buns each, plus apples and some tiny fried pastries. While they were upstairs, 12 year old's friends turned up to lure him out to play. I could have sworn they didn't go past the kitchen, but when they set off, they each had a pork bun in their hands...

I also prefer to grit my teeth and feed visitors rather than have kids wandering aimlessly around for hours. We have the "go and eat at XXX's house" thing here too -- best yet was before 9 on Sunday morning, and "Can I have some breakfast please?"!

Yesterday was Doll's Festival -- I've always made salad-style sushi, but this year the violin teacher got the bit between her teeth and the lesson ran on an extra hour, so I bought the sushi -- shock! horror!

Now off to take the 10 year old to guitar. He wants to start learning a Japanese instrument too. No, no, and no....

We don't have slow-cookers in Japan, but we do have a saucepan that fits inside a big insulated outer pot, like a modern haybasket. Curry for post-guitar dinner is sitting in there right now...rice is in the cooker with the timer set!

I'm really full from a pastrami and cole slaw dinner at Katz's, yet that chili looks so good that I want to eat it! :laugh:

Who's Miss Vickie?

Miss Vickie's is indeed a chip. It's a kettle type chip with sea salt instead of regular salt. I'm fairly addicted to them :rolleyes:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Pan, I gather that Miss Vickie is Little Debbie's cousin. :wink:

Marlene, this is great! And now I know another reason why I like you: does the phrase "PERT-CPM" ring a bell?? That, my friends, is why those cupboards are so enviable: remember that Marlene said she's a Facilities Manager? That is the HEIGHT of organization!

Thank you for opening you life, your home, and all to us, Marlene. :wub:

I got the CPM part :biggrin: And I've been told the organization is my middle name. When I'm running three or four million dollar renovations at a time I'd better be :biggrin:

Marlene

Who's Miss Vickie?

Not sure who Miss Vickie is, but they are Canadian Frito-Lay potato chips.

edit to add: perhaps I should refer to them properly as the Canadienne pommes de terre croustilles? :raz:

Marlene, I go bonkers for Rice Crispy Treats. Which is why they are banned from my kitchen and household. I cannot control myself with those things. Then I drive everyone around me nuts from the sugar buzz. They ususally have to be ripped from my tightly clamped fingers. :blink:

I'm with you Beans on the Rice Krispie Squares. They are the one sweet thing I really like.

(I confess I made them more for me than for Ryan :biggrin: )

Marlene

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I can't find a link to your chili recipe. What do you put in it?

That would be because I haven't posted it yet! :biggrin:

Marlene

Thursday morning. I don't think I have any hot water left, Ryan spent so long in the shower. I don't really want to know what's taking so long do I? :unsure:

Anyway, he took so long it put us slightly behind schedule this morning. I was so busy getting his lunch, making sure all his homework was in his binder, getting Don off to work etc, that I didn't have the engery to object when he scarfed down the last 2 Krispy Kreme doughnuts for breakfast :blink:

I managed to get in a couple of slices of cinnamon toast for myself and get my protein drink made up as today is a gym day.

Ryan's lunch today included: Chili in a Thermos and a lunchable. (I"m pretty sure he won't eat both, but he asked for both. I suspect there's a huge black market trader's forum at the school). A hunk of cheddar cheese and a fruit cup (so I could pretend I was giving him a healthy lunch), a Mrs. Field's cookie, a Monkey Bread muffin, 2 drinks and a rice krispie square.

I have to be careful about giving him sticky stuff (like the square) right now, as he recently aquired braces on his top teeth. At least the braces have cut out the gum and other sticky candy. :blink:

I told him we were going to the Omega for dinner and he is already planning his dinner. :biggrin: Normally, he would wear a suit to dinner in a fine restaurant, but it appears he outgrew it overnight, and I don't have time to get him another one, so I'll rumage through his clothes today to come up with a suitable shirt to wear with his black jeans :biggrin:

I've got the pork tenderloins thawing (I forgot to take them out last night), the French Onion soup will go back on the cooktop around noon to simmer for a while, and of course I'm a cupcake mom, so those have to be made today.

While I'm tempted to use a cake mix to make the muffins (the kids won't care), I won't because I want to make sure they are nut free. We do have separate areas for allergic kids to buy their nut free cupcakes from, but knowing kids, there's always a possibility that someone will want to trade or share theirs without thinking about it. I do however refuse to use my good chocolate in these and thus, will resort to bakers chocolate (wince).

I shall report back after the gym!

Marlene

Home from the gym. Protein shake, cheddar cheese half a grapefruit and a gallon of water later, I think I might have recovered somewhat :biggrin:

Now to shower, make cupcakes, get the soup on, finish the never ending laundry (how can two and half people have so much laundry :blink: ), practice piano, decide what kind of potato we're having tonight, make the honey garlic sauce for the tenderloins and most important, make coffee.

Actually, I'd really just rather have a nap :rolleyes:

Marlene

Actually, I'd really just rather have a nap :rolleyes:

I need a nap after just reading your wonderful blog!

Whew, you are busy, ain't cha? :wink:

(Take the nap)

As for Ryan's long showers, my niece was famous for long showers, too. Then her mom bought a cheap kitchen timer with a bell so loud it would wake the dead. She'd set it for 10 minutes when my niece went in to shower and everyone in the house could hear the timer go off when time was up. It worked quite well at shortening the showers. Just a thought...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

As for Ryan's long showers, my niece was famous for long showers, too. Then her mom bought a cheap kitchen timer with a bell so loud it would wake the dead. She'd set it for 10 minutes when my niece went in to shower and everyone in the house could hear the timer go off when time was up. It worked quite well at shortening the showers. Just a thought...

Now that is a great idea!

It just occured to me in the shower, that I haven't made butter tart squares for a while. Hmmmmmmm, I think I might have all the ingredients here. Perhaps squares for dessert tonight. :smile:

Marlene

Marlene, you are an organized kitchen goddess, and I aspire to be as tidy and neat as you, one day.  Not to mention the fact that you kitchen is incredibly beautiful!!

And, ah- bananas in coffee and milk?  :unsure:  I think I need another cuppa...

No, no, bananas in milk, and coffee to drink :biggrin:

This is what my mother gave me for breakfast when I was little and said no to everything else.

I'm like your son in that I don't like my cereal with milk. Instead, I get the bowl of cereal, add milk, slice banana and when the banana part is done, I drain the milk.

Great blog, Marlene and I love recipe gullet!

The Recipe Gullet is a wonderful thing :wub: . I guess it's because I'm not much of a cereal fan that I have to drown it in something to make it edible!

5 minute break here. Cupcakes are in the oven. You know, I could develop some serious arm muscles just moving that KA mixer around :biggrin: .

I just taste tested the French Onion Soup. It has a much richer flavour than usual, which I'm crediting to the Onion Confit. I think this one is going to be a winner :smile:

And yes, I am making butter tart squares. How could I not? :laugh:

Marlene

Careful, Marlene. You're going to have busloads of eGulleters showing up a your door in time for dinner!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Careful, Marlene. You're going to have busloads of eGulleters showing up a your door in time for dinner!

One of my little fobiles as a cook is that I don't really know how to cook "small". I almost always have enough for the whole neighbourhood :biggrin:

Marlene

And now for my stupid cooking trick of the day :blink:

In making the butter tart squares, I made the base as usual, and baked it for 10 minutes. I then turned off the timer (I thought) poured the batter in and placed in oven. Checked on squares 20 minutes later, they are still uncooked? Ah. I turned the oven off, not the timer.

There will be a slight delay in the completion of the butter tart squares :blink:

I think the cupcakes are cool enough to frost (slinks back to kitchen) :rolleyes:

Marlene

You know, I could develop some serious arm muscles just moving that KA mixer around :biggrin: .

I had Blovie pull mine out of the pantry this morning (I didn't want to re-injure my back). It's damn heavy.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Can one ship butter tart squares across the border? :rolleyes:

:raz:

There will be further delay as I re-make the butter tart squares that got a little "crisper" than I anticipated :rolleyes:

Marlene

Not your day for butter tart squares, is it?? Oh well, I'm sure Ryan will eat them anyway. :biggrin:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Not your day for butter tart squares, is it?? Oh well, I'm sure Ryan will eat them anyway. :biggrin:

Oh no. I'm re making them now. The lst batch went into the garbage. I said I was going to make butter tarts, and darn it I'm a gonna :biggrin:

Marlene