• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Blog!

Marlene

You know, I could develop some serious arm muscles just moving that KA mixer around :biggrin: .

Gym, Schmym.

Who needs a gym when you can do the eGullet Workout featuring KA mixers?!

We'll have you sporting Popeye-sized biceps and forearms in no time at all. :laugh:

And I'm trying to think of what you could use the well-done tart crust for instead of just tossing it out. I wonder if you could grate/scrape off the burnt top part and use the rest crumbled over ice cream? It seems like such a waste.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You know, I could

And I'm trying to think of what you could use the well-done tart crust for instead of just tossing it out. I wonder if you could grate/scrape off the burnt top part and use the rest crumbled over ice cream? It seems like such a waste.

Too late. Although I am starting to get a butter tart complex. I mixed up the second batch, put the crust into bake, took it out, poured the batter in and set the timer for 20 minutes. (I figured I was gonna watch this one like a hawk). Timer went off, I turned around, and there were my squares, waiting to go in the oven. :blink: Feeling slightly paranoid this time, (not sure if I'd pissed off the Butter Tart Gods completely), I put them in the oven, and stationed myself on the floor in front of the oven. :biggrin:

My kitchen looks like a tornado went through it, I've used every mixing bowl in my house (and believe me I have lots), but damn it, I've got Butter Tart Squares :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

a preview of tonight's dinner. Pics will come once Don gets home to download them:

Butter Tart Squares

French Onion Soup

Honey Garlic Pork Tenderloin

Garlic Whipped Potatoes

Devil's Food Cake Cupcakes with Buttercream frosting.

(yeah I made a few extra :biggrin: )

I will get my chili recipe into the archive tonight or tomorrow. Really I will. :blink:

Marlene

You know, I could develop some serious arm muscles just moving that KA mixer around :biggrin: .

I had Blovie pull mine out of the pantry this morning (I didn't want to re-injure my back). It's damn heavy.

No kidding. I decided to leave mine on my counter since the only place tall enough for it was in an overhead cupboard, and I had visions of it crashing down on my head :blink: . I love the things, but you'd think they'd make the bowl with a pourable spout wouldn't you? I mean it's meant for making batters etc.

While I'm on the subject of batters, do any of you have as much trouble as I do with the whole "divide evenly" thing? Everyone of my cupcakes is a different size :blink:

(I feel the need for a martini coming on.......Beans? I need you Beans!)

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

While I'm on the subject of batters, do any of you have as much trouble as I do with the whole "divide evenly" thing? Everyone of my cupcakes is a different size :blink:

I think it would be cool if cupcake liners had interior lines at half full and 3/4 full that could be used as a filling guide.

If anyone is in that business and steals my idea -- I want credit! :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I use a large scoop for my muffins - each scoop of batter is the same amount, so it makes them all pretty even. I love using different sized scoops for anything that needs the same portions - cookies, meatballs, muffins, pancakes, filled baked goods, etc.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Thanks for sharing the Butter Tart Square story Marlene!!! I love the part about the timer going off and the squares still on the counter.

Are you sure you didn't already have a Martini?????

I have done so much worse- other people's kitchen bloopers are so much more funny though! :biggrin::biggrin:

...you'd think they'd make the bowl with a pourable spout wouldn't you?  I mean it's meant for making batters etc.

A brilliant idea!

They already make a pouring shield as an add-on. Why not put a pour spout on the bowl and make the spout part a little wider to accept ingredients being poured into the bowl as well as out of the bowl? They could kill two pastry birds with one stone, so to speak.

That's a million dollar idea, Marlene. Does eGullet get a cut? :biggrin:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Are you sure you didn't already have a Martini?????

Not yet, although I'm anticipating now :smile: For one thing, I need to keep my head clear for Ry's math homework, math not being my strong suit at the best of times. For another thing, Don makes a much better Martini than I do, and he's not home yet. :sad:

Marlene

...you'd think they'd make the bowl with a pourable spout wouldn't you?  I mean it's meant for making batters etc.

A brilliant idea!

They already make a pouring shield as an add-on. Why not put a pour spout on the bowl and make the spout part a little wider to accept ingredients being poured into the bowl as well as out of the bowl? They could kill two pastry birds with one stone, so to speak.

That's a million dollar idea, Marlene. Does eGullet get a cut? :biggrin:

Why not?! :biggrin:

Marlene

Here are tonight's dinner pics.

i3788.jpg

cupcakes before frosting

i3790.jpg

cupcakes after frosting

i3789.jpg

French Onion Soup simmering

i3795.jpg

french onion soup with Gruyere Cheese

Unfortunately, all my cheese melted and went straight to the bottom :angry:

i3793.jpg

Pork tenderloin

i3794.jpg

sliced pork tenderloin and Garlic Whipped Potatoes and butter lava :biggrin:

If it had been just Don and I for dinner, I would have added some chopped green onions in the potatoes as well, but Ryan hates them.

I want you to know that I managed to burn my finger twice while basting the tenderloin. The first time, I didn't pull the rack our far enough and the top of my first finger touched the rack again. The second time? The same damn thing. You'd think I'd have learned the first time :hmmm:

i3791.jpg

giant butter tart square

i3792.jpg

Finally, the finished product :blink:

Stay tuned folks. Even though we are going out to dinner tomorrow night, (and I do hope you will all be our guests - remotely speaking of course :biggrin: ), I've lots of prep work to do to prepare for Saturday's dinner, which involves not only company for us, but a friend for Ryan to sleep over.

pssst. My husband is up to something. He asked to me check with Ryan's dad to see if he could take him from us on a few dates. He's planning something for our anniversary, but he won't tell me what :hmmm:

i3796.jpg

The Perfect Martini. I really needed this today :biggrin:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

I forgot how much I miss mom cooking!!! Will you send me the brownie crumbs?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I forgot how much I miss mom cooking!!! Will you send me the brownie crumbs?

brownie crumbs? :unsure:

Marlene

Care to share the recipe on that one? I'm often the cupcake baker for my Ryan's preschool class :biggrin:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Here are tonight's dinner pics.

i3788.jpg

cupcakes before frosting

i3790.jpg

cupcakes after frosting

i3789.jpg

French Onion Soup simmering

i3795.jpg

french onion soup with Gruyere Cheese

Unfortunately, all my cheese melted and went straight to the bottom :angry:

i3793.jpg

Pork tenderloin

i3794.jpg

sliced pork tenderloin and Garlic Whipped Potatoes and butter lava :biggrin:

If it had been just Don and I for dinner, I would have added some chopped green onions in the potatoes as well, but Ryan hates them.

I want you to know that I managed to burn my finger twice while basting the tenderloin. The first time, I didn't pull the rack our far enough and the top of my first finger touched the rack again. The second time? The same damn thing. You'd think I'd have learned the first time :hmmm:

i3791.jpg

giant butter tart square

i3792.jpg

Finally, the finished product :blink:

Stay tuned folks. Even though we are going out to dinner tomorrow night, (and I do hope you will all be our guests - remotely speaking of course :biggrin: ), I've lots of prep work to do to prepare for Saturday's dinner, which involves not only company for us, but a friend for Ryan to sleep over.

pssst. My husband is up to something. He asked to me check with Ryan's dad to see if he could take him from us on a few dates. He's planning something for our anniversary, but he won't tell me what :hmmm:

i3796.jpg

The Perfect Martini. I really needed this today :biggrin:

And the Martini ingredients? I do hope it's Gin since that's a Martini

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

It just occured to me in the shower, that I haven't made butter tart squares for a while.  Hmmmmmmm,  I think I might have all the ingredients here.  Perhaps squares for dessert tonight. :smile:

add some maple syrup, and/or pecans/walnuts, and you've got the perfect accompaniment for Haagen-Dasz vanilla-almond. i speak from experience. :laugh:

edit to add: thanks for the work you've done/do on the Recipe Archive. :smile:

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

And you're just chilling the glass with those ice cubes, right?

Say Marlene, I just want to let you know how much I'm enjoying your blog. I'm envious of your organizational skills! Thanks also for your effort at eGullet... I know I'm not the only one who appreciates it.

Plus what the heck kind of counter surface is that? It's beautiful! Quarried Canadian stone? Did you cover it elsewhere in the forum? If not, let's hear about it!

Cheers,

Squeat

Care to share the recipe on that one? I'm often the cupcake baker for my Ryan's preschool class :biggrin:

I'd be happy to pm that one to you. I got the recipes from a cookbook :smile:

Marlene

Not a chance :biggrin: It's Belvedere Vodka

(are you MatthewB in disguise? :biggrin: )

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

edit to add: thanks for the work you've done/do on the Recipe Archive. :smile:

Thanks! :smile:

Marlene

Tenderloin! Tenderloin! What a fabulous idea!

Hey. :sad: Where's the olive?

I just love love love your kitchen. The butter tart squares look like they would be a huge success over here. :cool:

No olive this time. Twist. Butter tarts and Butter tart squares seem to be distinctly Canadian for some reason. And the square are one of the easiest treats to make :smile:

Marlene

Does Don read eGullet? heheheh Maybehe could clue US in. LOL :biggrin:

Soba

He read the blog over my shoulder last night and just smirked. I've been encouraging him to register though :biggrin:

Marlene