• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Blog!

Marlene

Good show, Marlene.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Marlene;

I've been lurking as this unfolded. Super job, and thanks for the details. And what a lovely home. Some of the prettiest granite counters I've ever seen. Thanks again for a job very, very well done.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Thanks everyone! I'll get tonight's pics posted as soon as I can :smile:

So who's next? :unsure:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

GREAT blog, Marlene! I want to cry, because I want your kitchen and sunroom so much.

Sometime I'd like to do a blog now that we have the nifty-poo cool digital cam, but would that be just the same as slkinsey doing one? We don't ALWAYS eat lunch together, and I usually eat something for breakfast, which he doesn't...

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

GREAT blog, Marlene!  I want to cry, because I want your kitchen and sunroom so much.

Sometime I'd like to do a blog now that we have the nifty-poo cool digital cam, but would that be just the same as slkinsey doing one?  We don't ALWAYS eat lunch together, and I usually eat something for breakfast, which he doesn't...

K

Ok, tag you're it! You just have to see to it that it's different from Sam's and he can't play :raz: You start tomorrow morning!

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Wow. The french bread just came out of the oven (I did have time to shape the loaf and bake it by hand), and it even looks like French Bread :biggrin:

I think I'm gonna have to make some bread dipping sauces to go with it now :smile:

Marlene

This has been a lot of fun!

I'm curious what the draw of tableside cooking of everything is, though, and do you give a much higher tip than you would to someone who just serves you?

You live in a different world from me, so different that I have no way to be envious of your beautiful house and so forth. It's just not part of the East Village experience. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

This has been a lot of fun!

I'm curious what the draw of tableside cooking of everything is, though, and do you give a much higher tip than you would to someone who just serves you?

You live in a different world from me, so different that I have no way to be envious of your beautiful house and so forth. It's just not part of the East Village experience. :laugh:

Tableside cooking is just a fun way to dine. You can watch your dinner being made before your eyes (and adjust accordingly of course - as we always ask for more garlic in the salad for example :biggrin: )

If the waiter is good, it's a show all by itself.

Yes we tip more for table side cooking. After all, the waiter is doing a lot more work, and there's an extra element of skill as well.

Marlene

I love your counter-tops. And being an apartment dweller, I'm jealous of your sunroom.

And since I'm addicted to hockey....Go Leafs Go

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Whew! It's all over. Everyone has gone home, the kids (and Don have gone to bed). It was a good food day today.

Don and ryan picked up the RV, and when they came home, I made them scrambled egg sandwiches. Ryan's friend arrived at 2:00 for a sleepover, so he was occupied nicely.

At 5:30, Don took the kids to pick up McDonalds (yeah yeah, I know :blink: ), and to get me more cheddar cheese as I needed it for the nacho dip.

So here was dinner tonight:

i3900.jpg

Setting the table

i3901.jpg

making the bread

i3902.jpg

The finished bread. I was really, really pleased with how this turned out.

i3903.jpg

peparing the roast pork

Nibbles

i3904.jpg

Shrimp

i3905.jpg

Layered Nacho Dip

i3907.jpg

Bacon Cheddar Toast Points

i3906.jpg

Frozen Margarita for one of our guests.

i3908.jpg

Parmesan, roasted garlic and balsamic vinigrette bread dipping sauce

i3909.jpg

The finished roast

i3910.jpg

Sliced Roast Pork

i3911.jpg

Cheese Potato Puff

i3912.jpg

Honey Glazed Carrots. My recipe calls for either Maple Syrup or Honey. In this instance, I opted for the honey.

i3913.jpg

Gravy. What's a roast dinner without gravy? :biggrin:

i3899.jpg

Strawberries in Grand Marnier Cream

i3898.jpg

i3914.jpg

The wines.

The kids spent most of the night out in the RV, playing their game boys ans watching TV, I drew the line at sleeping out there though. It's supposed to snow tonight :blink: .

Dinner was successful, and everyone went home stuffed. I'll make that French toast in the morning, and then Ryan will return to his dad, but only for a few days as we hit the road on Thursday.

And so, this blog comes to it's end. When I first agreed to do this, I admit I was a little nervous. There are lots of people here who are better cooks than I am, and after viewing the wonderful presentations gsquared did with his blog, I knew I wasn't going to be able to even come close.

I have to tell you though, I had a wonderful time. Doing this really did make me think about presentation more although I'm still way outclassed in this area. At least I'm thinking about it :biggrin:

I want to thank everyone for joining us at our table this week. We've enjoyed having you as guests at our table and in our home. And if ya'll are ever up this way, feel free to drop in for some home cookin.

Thanks a lot everyone. It's been great.

Take it away bergerka :smile:

Marlene

Thanks, Marlene! It was wonderful. Cheese potato puff? Mashed mixed with cheese, egg etc. or something else?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

That dinner was quite a production! How many people?

Very enjoyable blog!

Um.....4? I told you I cook for the multitudes :biggrin:

Marlene

You also set the table fancily.

I always do when we have company :biggrin:

I loved your blog Marlene. Thank you for sharing

Thanks Beans! It was my pleasure!

Marlene

Thanks, Marlene. Huge time commitment, huge letting-us-in-on-your-life commitment.

And, I move to a house with a sunroom (not as grand as yours) in just 14 short days.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"