• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comforting foods, consoling foods

Ondine

I apologise Rachel, as that is just what I tried to do. I began to make the link directly to Amazon, then remembered that you could support eGullet by making the appropriate links. I searched around without finding that info, and finally clicked on the banner ad on the eGullet homepage, thinking that would do it.

Sorry... I'm all about supporting eGullet!

(the original link has now been fixed)

No biggie, and that's why I started adding the link to instructions instead of only adding the book link. Thanks for the effort!

Ondine -- Get Caller ID and don't answer his calls, or at least start screening with your answering machine. That is, I hope he called you and you didn't call him.

I'm telling you,Ondine, all of us who've posted physical activity know where of we speak. Start out walking around a set block-type course; as you walk, you can mentally cuss out the a**hole, and you'll find you get going that much quicker. I used to fill 2 bottles with frozen water, swing them like weights as I walked, and keep walking till I was able to drink from them. After only about a week, I found that when I was in the house, I'd figure out how to get out and walk. As soon as you're able, move. There's nothing good in a house full of memories. At the very least, redo stuff where it doesn't look the same. And chin up; there's an afterlife, and it rocks once you take care of yourself. Get that makeover, and save the doctor money for sexy lingerie. Much more therapeutic.

He sucks. What a jerk. Has the other partner been the same, or is there more support there? I can imagine losing two at once would be awful.

So, girlfriend, onward. I'm with the crowd that wants you to get moving. How about kick boxing? I took up Tai Chi recently after a completely different kind of disappointment and it really is doing the trick. Something physical that requires a lot of focus was the key for me.

On the food front, I go for creamy stuff. Yogurt and fruit, ice cream with warm chocolate cookie hunks. Milkshakes. Good mac and cheese, chowders. Though, like Mayhaw said. Good breakfast is soothing too.

I also like these Chocolate Toffee Cookies when I get the urge to bake. Very goey and delicious.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Echoing a theme in this thread, I also ate a lot of eggs and noodles. Eggs and noodles is just what it sounds like: cooked, drained noodles (elbows or flat wides preferred), thrown in a pot with some butter. When the butter is melted and the noodles are warm, pour a couple of beaten eggs over it all, stir a couple of times, put a lid on the pot, and let it sit off heat until the eggs are cooked. Salt, pepper, eat. More comfort food from when I was a child.

I like rice and eggs, which is much like the above, only with rice and made back to front: Have some cooked rice on hand, then take a couple of beaten eggs, seasoned with salt and a bit of ground cumin and begin to scramble them in butter. Dump in the rice and stir. If the rice was warm, then just put a lid on the pan or pot and let sit off the heat, if not just go on cooking until it seems done. Eat.

This is also lovely for those recovering from dental work.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Sigh.

Suzilightning: Those brownies look fantastic. I'm wondering if I can substitute another kind of booze? The petty ex took the bourbon when he moved out.

Cusina: The other one I am still living with. Our breakup was more a gentle, sad, fading-away than an abrupt end. We still love each other, but more as once-intimate friends than romantically. He's been wonderful and we've been supporting each other through this. Understandably he's rather steamed at the other guy too.

I'd love to join some kind of fitness class but there have been some obstacles to this:

1) I am a medical scientist (read, lab rat) and my roster changes from day to day depending on who's off sick and needs their shift covered. If I'm not on call my working day can vary from 6am to 2pm starts. Full time. It's rather hard to coordinate any kind of regular class with this almost-shift-work. NOt to mention the weeks when I'm on call.

2) I have longstanding joint problems from the lumbar region on down. I'd love to go for long walks and run, but more than 150 yards (Imperial measures for you folks) and Im in agony. I love my car. :wink: I've been swimming at the local aquatic centre though.

3) I've not had much energy lately. Not eating will do that to you. I"m trying to eat, I surely am. But when your favourite sashimi literally tastes like slightly salty wax (I didn't think that could happen) and you can't keep solid food down, things get a little difficult.

Trying hard here, guys. Even though I dislike sweets I've been drinking strong tea with honey in it to keep up my energy, and thinking lots of ice cream, scrambled eggs and chocolate, just for all of you. :laugh:

You've all been very supportive and I'm terribly grateful. And will be trying to make those brownies, Suzilightning! Anyone else have simple (remember I am baking-challenged), sinful baking treats I can make? I recently bought some silicone muffin trays and haven't used them yet.

The petty ex accidentally left his bottle of (unobtainable here in Australia) Grey Goose vodka here as well as his best pair of dress shoes. I'm going to try to think of ways I can combine the two.

:angry::biggrin:

I love this place, and I love you all!

" ..Is simplicity the best

Or simply the easiest

The narrowest path

Is always the holiest.. "

--Depeche Mode - Judas

I've just seen this thread for the first time, but I'd like to suggest that you keep the dress shoes and Grey Goose SEPARATE!! Unless, of course, you drink the GG while watching the shoes burn... Or bake...

:laugh:

Seriously--don't waste the good stuff on a jerk. And I'll echo what others have said--taking care of you really will empower you and help you heal. And although it sounds really petty, time will help--I promise! We've all been through this at one time or another, and it sucks, but it will also make you stronger in the end. We're sending good vibes your way!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Oh, and speaking of physical activity, orgasm often. Makes you feel alive again. :cool:

This probably ought to have been near the top of this thread .. by the time Ondine gets to this, she'll be completely bloated from the tons of comfort food we have recommended that she stuff herself with!! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'm definitely a non-eater during times of turbulence, and during one very bad time I recall it going on for months and months. I found myself stoically trying to cure myself of the feelings by deprivation. When it was time to open my mind to sensation again, it was Chinese conge that nursed my appetite back to health. I find that conge is a very soothing thing for a stomach that can't handle much.

I really hope you feel better soon. Sorry you have to go through this.

-Lucy

Sigh.

Suzilightning: Those brownies look fantastic. I'm wondering if I can substitute another kind of booze? The petty ex took the bourbon when he moved out.

no, sweetie, not really. just do what i do when i give the recipe as a present - get one of those airline sized bottles. i ususally gove a handwritten copy of the recipe, a tiny bottle of the booze and some really, really good chocolate chipped up and already premeasured - scharfenberger or valhrona.

this is the easiest i can make. i DO NOT do cookies - don't have the patience but will do brownies or bar cookies.

hang in there and remember the purple pony is your friend. :rolleyes:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Ondine, I know exactly how you feel. If tea and honey is working when you can't keep anything down great. If not, or you want something cold, I use Powerade or Gatorade in these instances - seems to work. When I really can't eat anything I make my grandmothers eggnog, always given to us a children when we were ill. Milk, beaten egg, vailla and sugar. Shake and drink. Enough protein to keep you energy level up. Hope things get better soon. Time seems to go so slowly when you are suffering.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Oh, and speaking of physical activity, orgasm often. Makes you feel alive again. :cool:

Heh. Would love to but there's a slight hitch. I currently don't want anyone else, or even a fling.

sigh :rolleyes:

I ate something today!!!

Work has free pizza on fridays and I had two pieces after not ingesting anything but black tea and water for 50 hours. I made myself eat - I'm so proud of my act of will. Still tasted like salty wax though.

It was a very weird sensation, feeling your metabolism start up with a vengeance.

Almost exactly 40 minutes later I had all the symptoms of a major caffeine rush without the caffeine - the increased heart rate, the quickened breathing and sharper thoughts, as well as the almost imperceptible shake to the fingertips. Just goes to show what a calorie infusion can do.

Must try to do that more often. :raz:

" ..Is simplicity the best

Or simply the easiest

The narrowest path

Is always the holiest.. "

--Depeche Mode - Judas

Oh, and speaking of physical activity, orgasm often.  Makes you feel alive again.  :cool:

Heh. Would love to but there's a slight hitch. I currently don't want anyone else, or even a fling.

Ummmm...

You don't need anyone else to have an orgasm!

To paraphrase Glynda, the Good Witch, "He never gave you anything you couldn't have given yourself!"

Good job on the eating. Now do it again! And know that all across the globe there are people thinking of you and rooting for you and wishing you well.

Namaste!

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

You don't need anyone else to have an orgasm! 

To paraphrase Glynda, the Good Witch, "He never gave you anything you couldn't have given yourself!"

Boyfriends have a tendency to come and go (no double entendre here ... or just possibly there is :rolleyes: ) but the Hitachi Magic Wand keeps going and going and going ...

Of course, this is not what it is all about anyway .... there are many guys out there who will make you feel loved and cherished and special in their lives ...

In the interim, take care of yourself .. it is what is left after the dust settles, so to speak ...

and eat when and if you feel like it ... why not? You're worth it!!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

There's something to the starch thing. Mac and cheese, a big ol sloppy sandwich, and anything that makes you have to lick your fingers afterwards. Any extremes -creamy, spicy, salty, whatever, is good for the soul.

But, here's the key. I mentioned this to someone else previously here. Eat naked. I am serious about it. Crank the heat up to a comfortable level, and let it all hang out. There is something rather theraputic about it. It shakes you out of your routine, and is easy to do, costs you no extra money (except for the heating), and requires no skill.

I'd stay away from soup, though...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

The petty ex accidentally left his bottle of (unobtainable here in Australia) Grey Goose vodka here as well as his best pair of dress shoes. I'm going to try to think of ways I can combine the two.

:angry::biggrin:

You didn't give the Grey Goose back did you? :unsure::laugh:

That would make some killer drinks at the party you could have. Yeah! You got rid of his nasty ass! Frankly, this sounds like a time to celebrate if you ask me.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

:angry:  :biggrin:

You didn't give the Grey Goose back did you? :unsure::laugh:

That would make some killer drinks at the party you could have. Yeah! You got rid of his nasty ass! Frankly, this sounds like a time to celebrate if you ask me.

Better yet, throw a "Cinderello" party. They guy who fits the shoes gets the vodka.

The guys who the shoe fits, gets to keep the shoes. Ondine gets to keep the vodka!

I was going to suggest "combining" them in a blender.

But, if the party idea isn't in (I really love that idea), then I'd just get them out of your sight be giving them to Goodwill. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he calls looking for his Bruno Magli's and you tell him that anything he left behind has been given away.

also - i don't recommend cooking your meal naked.  cook first, then take your clothes off.   (personal experience)

I'm sure there is a tale of two hidden away in, "I Will Never Again...".

hee hee yup - i believe one of them is mine.

and i agree with rachel about giving away his stuff. when i broke up with my ex, i pawned all the diamonds he gave me (well except for one tennis bracelet) for the sheer principle of things. matter of fact the less i got for it, the more chuffed i was. hee hee.

during my last move i found some suits of his and gave them to the movers.

definitely get rid of the stuff in whatever way makes you feel better. i burned all his love poetry to me and ripped up his pictures. that was very cleansing.

he was heartbroken that i torched the poems. (of course i told him) serves him right tho.

Edited by tryska (log)