• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Food Network may botch next

mstillman

Vincent Pastore (Sopranos), among others. 

For those of you who are not "Sopranos" fans, Vincente Pastore is Big Pussy Bonpensiero.. He got rubbed out a few seasons ago for being an FBI "ear."

He has since showed up with his own show on one of the cable channels (TLC?)where he rides around with a bunch of Repo Men.

Unfortunately, he was one of my major problems with the 1st IC-USA.

As a judge he showed a knowledge of food that ran from pizza to mom's spaghetti.

His constant jokes making fun of the food and teasing the chefs was to me the icon of how nobody (except for maybe the chefs) took the thing seriously.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I think all signs point to TFN *trying* to do right. If you remember, the Shatner version was on USA, whose target demographic is more into monster trucks than food. They had as a celebrity judge one of the Baywatch babes who was scared of almost all the food.

I agree they shouldn't try to do a Kaga-like MC, it just won't work. It can't be any worse than the two Flay-Morimoto Iron Chefs. Can it? Apart from Flay's grandstanding, they were serious about the food, as were the judges.

I think if the show is serious about the food, celebrities will come out of the woodwork to be a judge. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see Stanley Tucci among the first. He used to be on Cooking Live Primetime all the time. (Really miss that show -- the guests tended to booze it up, which made things entertaining.)

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Why not be a judge on Iron Chef?

So many good reasons.

But principally, I'm not ready for the "Jamie Farr on the Gong Show" period of my career just yet.

And let's be honest: the best thing about Iron Chef was the dubbing.

Golly... Sexiest chef in NY....and smart as well!! :smile:

Wonder who they will get for the play-by-play (Fukui san's part)...

Perhaps they'll nab Tim McCarver for that...I really can't stand his knowitallness. He'd be perfect for this titanic endeavor.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

Sissy Biggers?

(i just like saying her name)

I always called her "Bitchy Scissors." What a snerky little creature. Ugh. icon8.gif

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Edit: Stephanie Marsh is that "blond Texan from Boy Meets Grill"

Oh good! I liked her that time she showed up on Flay's show. I remember thinking, "Hey, she'd be a better host than BF...."

Back to topic: Anyone know why Chen Kenichi isn't coming back?

And any bets as to Wolfgang Puck being the next Chairman? :smile:

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

I think you mean Mark Dacascos, the martial arts guy. He certainly is the last person I would see as the chairman. This is shaping up to be the strangest FTV show.

EDIT: and Mathew the show was called The crow not The Raven :smile:

Elie

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I ain't gonna watch it. It's already jumped the shark. Give us back the Clutch Cargo dubbing, the sweet and nervous Japanese laughter. And would someone PLEASE put Bobby Flay's feet in a separate pair of cement shoes if he dares to desecrate the cutting board again.

Hey, we were in Las Vegas last year and went to the Guggenheim at the Venetian. Lovely. About two paintings into the guided audio tour, I told Bob, "Hey, this guy is the one who always says Fukui-san." (An unmistakeable, enunciated, vanilla voice.)

I want that job (doing dubs). Surely they'd like a Lily Tomlin or Flip Wilson impersonaitrix.

I want Judy Tanuta (is that her name?) on the panel with Alton,like the little cute girls on IC. You know, the accordion playing goddess.

Judy Tenuta, Goddess of the Galaxy, Petite Fleur, and Blesser of Bunions.

She better watch it with that Geisha Girl stuff, though.

Ahem.

The Web Geisha™© ®

Edited by tanabutler (log)

Haven't had time to review the wholet hread but here is some info....

Filming starts this week in LA and continues for 8 days...

Alton Brown is definately the host...

AB left Atlanta yesterday for LA...

AB Goes to South Beach Food Festival straight from there, starts filming next season of Good Eats in about three weeks...

Adam

Chef - Food / Wine / Travel Consultant - Writer

Why not be a judge on Iron Chef?

So many good reasons.

But principally, I'm not ready for the "Jamie Farr on the Gong Show" period of my career just yet.

And let's be honest: the best thing about Iron Chef was the dubbing.

Yeah, you'd have to get truly famous first. :wink:

Maybe you could get a part playing Reese's Miyagi on Malcolm in the Middle (insert catchphrase here), be seen by 10s of millions each week, then do a stint as the lower-middle Hollywood square, and then be a judge 10 years from now on the New Iron Chef.

Filming starts this week in LA and continues for 8 days...

Alton Brown is definately the host...

AB left Atlanta yesterday for LA...

The Chairman is going to be Eric Drasascos. He was in "The Raven: Stairway to Heaven"

They tape next week.

I think you mean Mark Dacascos, the martial arts guy. He certainly is the last person I would see as the chairman. This is shaping up to be the strangest FTV show.

EDIT: and Mathew the show was called The crow not The Raven

A little more specific info:

Marietta foodie Alton Brown has an "Iron" clad new gig at Food Network. "The Good Eats" host will be the commentator for his network's new "Iron Chef America" series of specials. The shows are slated to feature original "Iron Chefs" Masaharu Morimoto and Hiroyuki Sakai facing off against Food Network faves Bobby Flay, Mario Batali and Buckhead eatery namesake Wolfgang Puck.

Our fave food historian/scientist/TV host/author (Oh, OK: Brown's also the only one we know. . .) will fill the role of Dr. Hatori in the original Japanese version of the hit show, providing play-by-play and insights on the ingredients being utilized.

Taste-test judges for the shows will include "NYPD Blue" actor Dennis Franz, "Trading Spaces" host Paige Davis, actor Vincent Pastore (formerly of "The Sopranos") and Bon Appetit editor Barbara Fairchild.

The specials will tape next week in Los Angeles and will begin airing on the Food Network on April 23.

Quoting AccessAtlanta.com at: http://www.ironfans.com/cgi-bin/news/viewn...i?id=1077719677

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

I want Judy Tanuta (is that her name?) on the panel with Alton,like the little cute girls on IC. You know, the accordion playing goddess.

Ya notice how you never see Judy Tenuta and Weird Al Yankovic in the same place at the same time.... ?? Just somethin' to chew on... :cool:

They should dub into Japanese and then run English sub-titles.

Mel Gibson for the Kaga part. In Aramaic.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I haven't and won't seen the film but I think Mel staged the last supper as a food fight.

FN needs someone like this to carry off the Kaga part or shouldn't bother.

Alton as colour commentator is a good choice.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

OK so they are filming in L.A...I need to get an interview with someone..Dude if I could only take the Iron Chefs from Japan to Lennox (bad area, but great mexican food) for burritos and eat while dodging bullets, that would be a story..Does anyone know where abouts they are filming?

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I haven't and won't seen the film

Why am I not surprised? And, thanks for mentioning it.

I agree with you 100% about the Kaga part though. The only person I can think of who could pull it off is Jesse Ventura.

SB (former constituent)