• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Food Network may botch next

mstillman

I think I could POSSIBLY enjoy Iron Chef US, if a few things happened:

1. The chairman actually has a believable appreciation for food. (I think Shatner's more a quantity guy than a quality guy! :laugh: )

2. They have the budget to use really cool ingredients (Kobe beef, Otoro, etc). Doubtful with Food Network.

3. The judges have eaten at restaurants other than Olive Garden or Red Lobster.

4. The chefs are either believable as top chefs or so over the top as to develop a great hate following. (I might tune in to see Flay just to see how big of an asshole he'll be.)

5. I think the hardest part of gaining an audience here will be the overall lack of knowledge by the public that each of these differences would make. I don't think a lot of people would know the difference between Kobe and what's at the grocery...I guess the general problem of America being a less food quality aware culture.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

5.  I think the hardest part of gaining an audience here will be the overall lack of knowledge by the public that each of these differences would make.  I don't think a lot of people would know the difference between Kobe and what's at the grocery...I guess the general problem of America being a less food quality aware culture.

[JINMYO] Gah! [/JINMYO]

The show itself can become a conduit to educate the American audience. Have faith in the medium and in the viewers.

But then I'm an optimist, or least, I hope I am.

edited to add s p a c i n g

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Some good points sml311.

I think more important than where the people have eaten is the ability to explain why they like something. As humorous as it can be to hear some lady giggle about the explosions in her mouth, at least it's descriptive. Better than 20 variations of "good". We have so many words in English, yet we often use so few. They should have a class for judges an hour before each show where they work on describing what they like about foods.

I think a smart producer would take the opportunity, as the JIC did, to educate the audience a little. "If memory serves, the pig from X prefecture..." translates fine into "The autumn harvest of Washington's X pears...." Or, "The summer run of Copper Salmon...", etc. You know the temptation to market mail order beef would be everpresent, though. But they could take the opportunity to teach us about the wonderful regional ingredients available in North America, plus some more exotic ingredients. The local/organic/slow food people need to hijack these types of things.

I don't think people have to come into the show with knowledge or care if the people on the show have knowledge and care. Their love and intensity will win an audience. The first version of IC USA had no respect for their own endeavor.

I never thought about interior design. Had no interest whatsoever. But Trading Spaces changed that by providing an interesting show where people truly did care about what they did. Same with Queer Eye. A show with some flaming homosexuals making fun of slobs would not have caught on. It's that the guys actually do care about the results that makes people come back. They're invested in the outcome and that care translates to an audience that cares as well.

Definitely good points ExtraMSG and Toliver. I probably am a little cynical about the American dining public. Too many friend and family members who serious can't taste the difference between quality/good preparation and crap/bad preparation.

Definitely a humorous/educational approach would be in line with the Japanese version. It will take a very good producer to pull this off, and I hope they do. Most people I know who watched it, watched it because the translation/commentary was funny without being too obvious, plus I think it definitely introduced people to ingredients and techniques they hadn't seen before.

SML

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Good points all of you, which made me remember another huge fatal flaw of IC USA... the venue... take it outta Vegas! The japanese setting... a faux gourmet uberdungeon... was tight and controlled... the Vegas thingie with an audience of thousands whooping and cheering was too much.... Scale the audience waaaaay back and give it a serious faux setting dammit! :cool:

Personally, I think they should do Iron Grandmother. Every week somebody's grandnmother comes to do battle with the most skilled domestic goddesses of all time.

You have Iron Jewish Grandmother, specializing in Ashkenaze Jewish fare like briskets and matzo ball soup. She has the unbeleivable skill of being able to do anything with nothing. Schmaltz is her secret weapon.

You have Iron Italian Grandmother, specializing in fresh manicotti and bracciole. And her ricotta pie recipe is killer. Piss her off and she'll whip that shoe at you upside your head like an aborigine hunter flinging a boomerang.

You have Iron Chinese Grandmother, who knows all kinds of herbalist stuff and can make the ultimate stir fry. Her dumplings will satisfy even the heartiest appetite.

And then you can have the fourth position in rotation occupied by Iron Greek Grandmother, Iron Southern Grandmother, Iron Cajun Grandmother, Iron Korean Grandmother, Iron Caribbean Grandmother, etc.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Personally, I think they should do Iron Grandmother. Every week somebody's grandnmother comes to do battle with the most skilled domestic goddesses of all time.

You have Iron Jewish Grandmother, specializing in Ashkenaze Jewish fare like briskets and matzo ball soup. She has the unbeleivable skill of being able to do anything with nothing. Schmaltz is her secret weapon.

You have Iron Italian Grandmother, specializing in fresh manicotti and bracciole. An her ricotta pie recipe is killer.

You have Iron Chinese Grandmother, who knows all kinds of herbalist stuff and can make the ultimate stir fry. Her dumplings will satisfy even the heartiest appetite.

And then you can have the fourth position in rotation occupied by Iron Greek Grandmother, Iron Southern Grandmother, Iron Cajun Grandmother, Iron Korean Grandmother, Iron Caribbean Grandmother, etc.

but stereotypes aren't funny. :angry:

Maybe so, but I guarantee you, it would be more entertaining than the crap FN is going to come up with instead!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My mother may actually be Iron Southern Grandmother (although it would be very highly polished, tasteful iron :wink: ). If Food Network set up a battle between her and Bobby Flay there would be some serious stomping going on. By the time she got finished with him Bobby would be saying yes ma'am and no ma'am and behaving like a gentleman. It would be a great match.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Hmmm... But what the Iron Grandmothers could do with sous chefs and pot cleaners and such could be awesome. I don't think they would be shy of... um... giving direction. :blink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Oh, I'm not doubting their skills. It's more an issue of the food they make. Maybe the Chinese grandmothers would be different, I don't know, but the foods I think of when I think of Grandmothers are slow cooking to the extreme, comfort foods and the like. It's one thing to whip up filet seared rare and salmon tartare in under an hour. It's another to do brisket or collard greens in that amount of time. Maybe lasagna and baked ziti...

Maybe it could be like that 24 hour IC episode where they went all over France to get the ingredients?

SML

I nominate Robin Leech as The Chairman. He's naturally cocky, where Shatner was over the top acting, and he knows exotic and gourmet food.

Ooooo, good one! I still nominate Alton Brown for the role of 'Doc'.

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

Thanks for the post Matthew. It's very sad what has happened over there and, as a totally disillusioned (former) viewer I'm still not over it. Each time I hear news like this, it reminds me of what FTV used to be and I get sad all over again. :sad:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I think it would really help them to do a transition in the very first show, introduce the original Japanese Iron Chefs with the original raised platforms, and then follow with the new Iron Chefs. Maybe something along the lines of Kaga's ghost appearing before the new Chairman, with him saying "My nephew sucks, take over", or something like that...

Any bets on Morimoto being one of the new Iron Chefs?

At the very least, I'd love to see him challenge Flay one more time.

Edited by Singapore (log)

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

It just gets worse and worse, doesn't it?

I just saw a promo on FoodTV for a new series debuting next week hosted by....wait for it....Bobby Flay's newest girlfirend!! Ta-Da! Yes folks, she's fresh off of her exit from NBC's "Law & Order: SVU" and moving right into hosting a week of shows called "What America Eats" on the Food Network. That'll look interesting on the ole resume, won't it?

As if that isn't enough, the show will also feature some Parade Magazine reports, too, on what America is eating and when they're eating it. It just oozes "riveting TV", doesn't it? Yes, it just oozes.

At this rate, FoodTV will eventually have a Ratings Sweeps month filled with shows featuring all of Bobby Flay's ex's (she's not a girlfriend, folks, she's a future ex). Maybe they can call it "Flay's Lays Month".

I would normally hurl a torrent of invectives at this point (or just hurl), but I think I passed the point of "What's the point?" a few Sandra Lee/Dweezil & Lisa shows ago.

Here I thought things would get better when their VP, who said something to the effect of, "It's entertainment. People aren't supposed to learn anything from TV" left the network. Guess I was wrong. :hmmm:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I think it would really help them to do a transition in the very first show, introduce the original Japanese Iron Chefs with the original raised platforms, and then follow with the new Iron Chefs. Maybe something along the lines of Kaga's ghost appearing before the new Chairman, with him saying "My nephew sucks, take over", or something like that...

Any bets on Morimoto being one of the new Iron Chefs?

At the very least, I'd love to see him challenge Flay one more time.

I cant believe flay was given the W for that last battle. Perhaps if Flay hadnt given the judges there first taste of corn, the battle would have gone differently.. That was pretty funny to see judges completely in awe of this new found vegetable. It was like watching a hawaiian see snow for the first time. If i were flay i would be more then happy with an even record against Morimoto. I would also then go chill out in my phatty backyard and fire up my grill.. hehe.

It just gets worse and worse, doesn't it?

I just saw a promo on FoodTV for a new series debuting next week hosted by....wait for it....Bobby Flay's newest girlfirend!!  Ta-Da!  Yes folks, she's fresh off of her exit from NBC's "Law & Order: SVU" and moving right into hosting a week of shows called "What America Eats" on the Food Network.  That'll look interesting on the ole resume, won't it? 

As if that isn't enough, the show will also feature some Parade Magazine reports, too, on what America is eating and when they're eating it.  It just oozes "riveting TV", doesn't it?  Yes, it just oozes.

At this rate, FoodTV will eventually have a Ratings Sweeps month filled with shows featuring all of Bobby Flay's ex's (she's not a girlfriend, folks, she's a future ex).  Maybe they can call it "Flay's Lays Month".

I would normally hurl a torrent of invectives at this point (or just hurl), but I think I passed the point of "What's the point?" a few Sandra Lee/Dweezil & Lisa shows ago.

Here I thought things would get better when their VP, who said something to the effect of, "It's entertainment.  People aren't supposed to learn anything from TV" left the network.  Guess I was wrong. :hmmm:

I can't believe that!!! :laugh: (Well, actually I can :sad: )

It's kind of like VH1. I mean when's the last time that network actually played a music video. 1997?? Now they're the "I love the 80s" network. Oh yeah, and sucky movies...that too.

Edit: Maybe the food network can pick up food-related movies. It really couldn't get any worse, so what the hell do they have to lose? Certainly not that last shred of dignity or credibility. :hmmm:

SML

Edited by sml311 (log)

More details... Iron Chef America (Triage Entertainment, makers of Home for the Holidays and Scariest Places on Earth) is set to launch with an original series of four special episodes on April 23-25, 9-11p each evening.  The American Iron Chefs are Bobby Flay Mario Batali and Wolfgang Puck (Wolfgang Puck being American and all)

In these special eps, the American Iron Chefs do kitchen battle with the Japanese Iron Chefs Masaharu Morimoto and Hiroyuki Sakai.   There is also a set of judges and for the American version  will include Paige Davis (Trading Spaces), Dennis Franz (NYPD Blue), Barbara Fairchild (editor of Bon Appetit), Vincent Pastore (Sopranos), among others.  And in the role of play-by-ingredient commentator, chef/scientist Alton Brown.

sit tight.

Edited by mstillman (log)