• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upside-down cake

torakris

So, I've been thinking more about this upside down cake thing.  I have a deep 14 inch pan that I was planning on using, but it still doesn't offer much height.  I have considered stacking two upside down cakes and drizzling caramel sauce around the edges to draw attention away from the middle where the two cakes will meet.  That will provide a higher fruit to cake ratio, and add a tasty sauce.  What do you guys think of this idea?  Stick with the traditional single layer, or try out the two layer version?  Can anyone forsee any problems with the two layer version?

-------------------------------------------------

They might get rather soggy in the center and it may compress some causing a dip in the middle.

Have you considered still making two but "integrating" them. For instance think of the MasterCard logo. Cut an arc out of one cake so the other cake will fit into it and stack the now boat-shaped cut out piece on top of the center so it is two layers in the center of the composition, however the weight of the second layer would be at the edge of the uncut cake and less likely to compress the bottom layer.

Decorate the sides of the layers with slices of kiwi, strawberries, etc., fruit that will not discolor.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Can I freeze an upside down cake?  Will it affect the taste at all?

:raz: This happened to me a few years back... accidentally tho', when the refrigerator control went on the blink. Everything in the refrigerator froze rock hard, including a beautiful upside-down cake to be served at an office party.

When thawed, the entire cake tasted fresh as new... no one suspected that it had been frozen; in fact, most thought it was fresh from the oven. :rolleyes:

Di

Edited by DiH (log)

• 1 year later...

Another upside down cake question...

How much damage would be caused by inverting the cake a day after it's made? I need to transport my cake from my home to work in the basket of my bicycle. It would be much safer for the cake if I could leave it in the pan (rectangular Pyrex pan), at least until I could get to work. But would the cake stick to the pan if I did that?

There is a microwave at work, so I might be able to heat it a bit, if that might help with unsticking.

What say you all? Wait till tomorrow to invert, or invert now, and find some other way to transport it? (I could cut it up today and serve it in pieces, but it's so beautiful whole, I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.)

I'd line my pan with parchement paper before placing my fruit and caramel in the pan (spray the pan well with pan release before placing the parchment in it). That gives your some assurance that they won't stick too badly to the bottom of the pan. You can almost always apply dirrect heat (with a blow torch or a hot waterbath, etc....) to re-melt/warm the butter/fats in your item in a non-warm pan, so it will release cleanly from your pan. I often put items away in my freezer with-out unmolding them from my pan. When I want to release them, I warm the bottom of the pan with my blow torch.

BUT............there's another issue for you to consider with an upside down cake. That is: the flavor moisture is dependent upon you inverting the cake while warm so the caramel/syrup from the fruit gets absorbed back into the cake. If you don't invert your cake while it's warm you'll loose that factor/benefit to your over all taste.

You could invert the cake while it is warm and let it cool or even freeze it, place a clean parchment in your clean pan and put it back in, wrap well and carry it to your destination. It should come right out and be in perfect shape.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Thanks for the advice!

I inverted it onto parchment paper, then cleaned out the pan as pastrymama suggested, and put the cake back in after it cooled. This morning I wrapped the whole pan with foil, and cycled away! It arrived intact, and was devoured by 12 teenaged girls in a matter of minutes.

Thanks for the offer for the recipe, Randi! I actually saw your pictures before I posted (I did a search to see if my question had already been asked) and I looked up the CI recipe. The recipe I used was similar, but with no cornmeal (which I don't have, and don't have easy access to). I think sponge-cake-like pineapple upside down cakes are the best!

• 3 months later...

I've made two upside down "cakes" recently - am using inverted commas here, as one was sweet and one savoury. Both were Nigella Lawson's recipes and both were delicious.

Here's the sweet one:

CRANBERRY%20TATIN%209.jpg

Cranberry upside down cake

and here is the savoury one:

SIBULAPIRUKAS%20PAHUPIDI%205.jpg

Upside down red onion pie

Thanks for the advice!

I inverted it onto parchment paper, then cleaned out the pan as pastrymama suggested, and put the cake back in after it cooled.  This morning I wrapped the whole pan with foil, and cycled away!  It arrived intact, and was devoured by 12 teenaged girls in a matter of minutes. 

Thanks for the offer for the recipe, Randi!  I actually saw your pictures before I posted (I did a search to see if my question had already been asked) and I looked up the CI recipe.  The recipe I used was similar, but with no cornmeal (which I don't have, and don't have easy access to).  I think sponge-cake-like pineapple upside down cakes are the best!

The recipe's I used were from Cook's Illustrated and did not use any cornmeal.

Rhubarb upside down cake is the bestest ever

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

• 16 years later...