• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charles Shaw 'Two Buck Chuck'

Pickles

When I tasted 2 Buck Chuck I thought two things:

1) Well it's a little better than what they serve on airplanes.

2.) I'd definitely drink this at a party if I was already drunk.

The remedy for any crappy wine you are served at a party is ice cubes and 7-Up or club soda.

Mark

When I tasted 2 Buck Chuck I thought two things:

1) Well it's a little better than what they serve on airplanes.

2.) I'd definitely drink this at a party if I was already drunk.

The remedy for any crappy wine you are served at a party is ice cubes and 7-Up or club soda.

:laugh:

...or the nearest planter.

whoopsie, ludja, you're right! Essensia is from Quady... it's a bit richer than a Beaumes de Venise, and that orange flavor is great with any mild dessert (sponge cakes, etc.), or berries.

but the Vin de Glaciere from Bonny Doon is terrific, too!

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

It's unlikely that I'll ever sample Two Buck Chuck, and I can appreciate that it is probably both variable in quality and never really very good.

But I do wonder whether the wide availability of a low-priced table wine might actually be a good thing for the wine industry in that it could encourage more people to drink wine regularly.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

the SB was surprisingly inoffensive. a bit of acidity. no finish to speak of. did i detect a note of banana? i'm probably nuts.

didn't even stand up well to non-spicy sushi. a quaffing wine for sure. perhaps good for a "two buck chuck" party, just for the novelty. otherwise, hardly worth the calories or liver damage.

it's "3 buck chuck" in NJ.

looking forward to the reds.

Haven't tried 2 Buck Chuck yet, but the publicity is piquing my curiosity... Currently my fave low priced wine is Yellow Tail Shiraz ($3.99 a bottle on sale, $4.99 regular priced).

Ever since that report about the expert wine testing where white wine with food coloring beat out distinguished red wines...I don't judge a wine by price or prestige... Subjective good taste, drinkability AND lack of headache is what counts to me.

OK,

In spite of anything I said in defense of Three Buck Chuck in the past. I have to admit that I opened a bottle of merlot last night and poured it right down the sink. It tasted like cheap grape juice and nothing like the first few bottles that I have sampled. I had noticed a slight variation of taste in the past, but nothing like this. This was just plain awful. :sad:

Edited by HungryChris (log)

OK,

In spite of anything I said in defense of Three Buck Chuck in the past. I have to admit that I opened a bottle of merlot last night and poured it right down the sink. It tasted like cheap grape juice and nothing like the first few bottles that I have sampled. I had noticed a slight variation of taste in the past, but nothing like this. This was just palin awful. :sad:

Now that's what I call a tasting note! :laugh:

• 4 months later...

2 buck chuck is one of 53 finalists out of 2300 at New York tasting http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews.../8940207.htm?1c

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Whats the general consensus about using Charles Shaw as a cooking wine?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The Merlot and Chardonnay are undrinkable and "uncookable" and at price at any time. The 2002 Sauvignon Blanc is quite pleasant but simple, the 2000 Cabernet is a good value and the 2002 Gamay Beaujolais and Shiraz are worth the price for an informal party or bar-b-que.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

• 11 months later...

My uncle who lives where there are no Trader Joe's likes the 2 Buck Chuck (okay, now $3.29 in Alexandria, Va) and I bought several bottles for him.

Does anyone know why the wine is so cheap? I've heard it has to do with a divorce, and that it's the winery nose-thumbing wine snobs.

My uncle likes it and has some wine knowledge, but I've read that the wine stinks. Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

by way of explanation to your question ...

What's "Two Buck Chuck?"

The affectionate nickname, "Two Buck Chuck," is inspired by its price ($1.99) in Trader Joe's stores in California.  Our guess is someone thought that since the wine is so inexpensive, it deserves a less formal nickname.  "Charles" is so $8.99.

:rolleyes:

even better: from CBS News :huh:

Even the New York Times wine critic sees it as a sort of blessing.

"It's okay. It certainly rates as well as any other $2 bottles of wine. Of which there are almost none," said wine critic Frank Prial.  And now, between toasts, "Two Buck Chuck" has become the stuff of urban legend, including the story that an airline that had gone out of business by over-purchasing the wine for its first class passengers.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

No need at all to cry for Charles F. Shaw who thought up the idea of the wines known affectionately (or with passionate hatred) these days as "Two Buck Chuck".

Shaw, taking advantage of the wine glut in California, started buying up grapes and bulk wines in (if memory serves) 2001 and dealing them largely through the chain "Trader Joe's". Everyone is making good money on these wines and to the surprise of quite a few the wines compete nicely with many in the $5-8 dollar range and people continue to buy them by multiple cases. No loss-leaders these! In fact, considering the millions of cases that have been bought - some good profit here.

I have tasted the Cabernet, Chardonnay, Merlot and Sauvignon Blanc wines in the series. All earned acceptable scores of 80-84. At that price, unbeatable and that seems to be what a good many people want to drink.

Anticipating a question - Nope! Not wines that I would buy for my personal drinking pleasure.

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

it's always our second or third round when our old friends are in town (thanksgiving is a drunken event at our house). we start with the yummiest but then scoot over the the less expensive, easy-to-drink-frivolously two buck chuck.

actually, the Wine Enthusiast broke down the numbers on how you could more or less make the economics of TBC work, even at $2 or $3 a bottle. needless to say, all getting-what-pay-for rules apply.