• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Ratings Up

Chad

As much as we bitch about Food Network and the dumbing down of its progamming, their approach seems to be working.

Indeed, last month, exactly 10 years to the week after the network launched on Nov. 23, 1993, Food Network boasted its highest weekly ratings in prime time with a 0.8 household rating, placing 16th among basic-cable networks. Overall, Food Network had its highest-rated third quarter to date. It drew a household rating of .62 in prime time, a 15% increase over last year at the same time.

USA Today story

So what do y'all think? Is FTV bringing food to the masses?

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I think the Food Network has achieved the status of a real "Network", in that they have a large stable of programming, and therefore a mix of good and not so good.

For all the Emeril-bashing (and I'm not a fan of him myself), he opviously gets the ratings. Kind of like "Everyone Likes Raymond" (except me :laugh: )

I'd be interested of there are analogies others have for Food Network shows, and what a comparable program on one of the major networks might be.

Here's another one: "The Best of" = "America's Funniest Home videos".

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

People who are unhappy about Food Network are unhappy precisely because their ratings are high, I think.

I caught about five minutes of Rachael Ray today, BTW, and have to say that she has dropped many of her "mannerisms" and is not half bad.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

The PROBLEM with the Food Network is that instead of trying to produce a product that has superior programming that entices people to watch implying revenue, after obtaining a stable base market and assuming inelastic demand, they are now only concerned with maximizing profit. This means entertainment shows versas real information shows. An entertainment show with one or two people costs a lot less than Tony's shows. Don't worry, Food Court is next or maybe there already is one. I don't watch the Food Network anymore. -Dick

This means entertainment shows versas real information shows. An entertainment show with one or two people costs a lot less than Tony's shows. Don't worry, Food Court is next or maybe there already is one. I don't watch the Food Network anymore. -Dick

Good point! Then again, I turn the TV on for entertainment rather than information. For me, the boob tube is mindless relaxation and I enjoy having it on for background noise -- glancing at it occassionally while I'm doing something else or letting my mind go numb with shows like Unwrapped. Rachel Ray and Alton Brown are somewhere in the middle. I can glean a few helpful tips from their shows, but for the most part, it's just relaxing watching someone else do all the cooking in an immaculate kitchen. Brainrest.

I have plenty of books to turn to for information, and have never been one to turn on the TV to learn. I guess when my eyes go bad or I don't have access to a plethora of books, I'll rely on TV rather than newspapers, internet, or books. For now, I'm pretty happy with the sometimes mindless but usually entertaining shows offered by FTV.

I was watching Rachel Ray the other night and was terrified by the way she was chopping an onion. I can't believe she hasn't lost a finger yet.

Hopefully, the viewers have their eyes on her other parts and don't use her chopping technique as a learning tool.

Edited by sammy (log)

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Check out Food TV's latest:

Dweezil and Lisa

"Rock musicians and food lovers Dweezil Zappa and Lisa Loeb are hitting the road in search of musical and culinary adventures. "

I was just about to start one of those "the Food Network isn't SO Bad" posts, when I saw that...it clearly IS that bad.

[edited for spilling]

Edited by malcolmjolley (log)

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

Regarding the Dweezil & Lisa Loeb show, having just seen the promos for it, I would hazard a guess that this show is FoodTV's blatant attempt to draw in their (Dweezil's & Lisa's) demographic. Most cooking shows (on PBS, for example) tend to aim towards the "foodie" and aren't age specific. This show, however, looks like it's aimed to draw in a specific age group. This will impact how FoodTV can sell themselves to sponsors...the prize demographic being 18 to 35.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

cool.  more young people will no doubt be drawn into food and travel.

tommy, you are definitely a (martini) glass half-full kind of guy :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I just want to know has anyone made one of Rachel Ray's meals? How did it turn out? Did it take 30 minutes or longer?

Does anyone watch Rachel Ray for the recipes?

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

I just want to know has anyone made one of Rachel Ray's meals? How did it turn out? Did it take 30 minutes or longer?

I've made a couple of her recipes, but not a whole meal. It only takes 30 minutes or less if you wash everything beforehand, which isn't such a bad idea.

I don't remember what it was, only that it was better than frozen stuff, which is the whole point of her show, right?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Alright, I must be completely brainwashed by the television, but I'm in that 18 to 35 demographic and find myself a) wanting Lisa's haircut and b) kind of curious to see what their show is like. Might be fun or might be complete drivel, but I am at least on a base level, interested.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Does anyone watch Rachel Ray for the recipes?

:laugh:

I've actually tried one of her entrees from one of her shows and made it in less than 15 minutes. Pretty good, not gourmet, but a good, solid hot dish.

I wonder if she's been reading about herself on egullet? Might explain why she appears a bit grumpy in some recent shows.

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....