• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Blog: Squeat Mungry

You would be wise to do that, although Arinell's is in the same block and is actually quite good, if not the real thing! Plus, I could steer you towards a few places that beat out El Cumbre for certain things, but not for carnitas burritos!

The only thing I ate there! No beans, no rice, guacamole, and salsa. I'd KILL for one right now. And the little white caramel sandwich cookies. They still have them?

Does Hong Kong still exist? Church, was it?

You obviously know the drill at El Cumbre! Also, their nachos rule, even though they're not even slightly Mexican. (The rest of their stuff is the real thing, though.) Plus, they sell Dos Equis, which is the perfect thing to wash down the nachos and beanless riceless carnitas burrito with guac and salsa!

Hong Kong is still there on Church, I believe, but I've never tried it. It looks kind of scary to me!

(By the way: Right now I'm desperately running around my apartment trying to find a menu for my favorite Chinese delivery! I'm so addlepated from overwork I can't even remember the name! If I don't find that menu I'm sunk!)

If Hong Kong is great, I might be tempted to put my shoes back on...

Squeat

Edited to add they still have the cookies. I'm not much of a sweet-tooth guy, so I've never had them. They seem to be popular, though.

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

I'll have to check over the weekend, but I always thought the name was La Cumbre! I can't even pretend to speak Spanish, however.

Dinner was decided when I discovered three more slices of the Nueske's Applewood Smoked Bacon in the fridge. I know I'm surpassing recommended dates for storing meats, but it smelled fine. I'm roasting it now and plan to eat it with some arugula and Point Reyes Blue cheese on toasted Acme ciabatta.

Then one tired Squeat is going to bed.

PS I'm trying to think of whom I should tag next. It's a bit of a challenge to seek someone out who hasn't already blogged! For instance, it's awfully tempting to tag maggiethecat again, because I'm sure she could entertain with double dactyls or perhaps, my favorite, terza rima!

Will ponder...

Squeat

You obviously know the drill at El Cumbre! Also, their nachos rule, even though they're not even slightly Mexican. (The rest of their stuff is the real thing, though.) Plus, they sell Dos Equis, which is the perfect thing to wash down the nachos and beanless riceless carnitas burrito with guac and salsa!

Never had the nachos. Too focused on the burrito. Can I call it that without all the filler? You know, I thought it was La Cumbre too! People over the years have browbeaten me into thinking it was El. Sheesh!

Hong Kong is still there on Church, I believe, but I've never tried it. It looks kind of scary to me!

(By the way: Right now I'm desperately running around my apartment trying to find a menu for my favorite Chinese delivery! I'm so addlepated from overwork I can't even remember the name! If I don't find that menu I'm sunk!)

If Hong Kong is great, I might be tempted to put my shoes back on...

Hong Kong is most definitely scary looking. But I never saw a bug there, or any disgusting habits of the staff. Maybe I ate there because it was incredibly cheap and pretty darned good too. I used to take a quart of the beef wonton soup to the movies. The Galaxy? Probably not what it was called. I think it was their first six-plex. Sexplex? (Grammar police help me out). A new concept, anyway. They actually used to tell me to go to the Japanese place down the street if I didn't want popcorn. It was very cool to eat steak terriaki with chopsticks at the movies. Or a big quart of soup from Hong Kong.

Edited to add they still have the cookies. I'm not much of a sweet-tooth guy, so I've never had them. They seem to be popular, though.

I only had the cookies once, right before I left, and if I knew I'd still be dreaming about them, I'd have paid more attention to how they might be made. They were totally dreamy.

Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market Part VI

Lulu Petite: (This is also an outpost of a restaurant.)

Marmalades

Honeys

Grilling Sauces

("All kinds of sauces. All kinds of honey.")

Fig Balsamic Vinegar ("Doesn't that sound delicious!")

Cherry Balsamic Vinegar

Currant Balsamic Vinegar

Fig and Meyer Lemon Balsamic Vinegar (Me: "Now, won't we have to buy some of that?")

(Me: "Well, I have five bucks left and I wanna get some apples... so I'm going to continue walking through the marketplace.")

(Me" "I'm still carrying the ciabatta in my left hand, but it's squishing! It's still too hot to put in the bag."

Capay Organics: (A few of the stalls outside also have permanent stores inside the hall.)

(Me: "They have some tomatoes left.")

Pomegranates

Meyer Lemons (Me: "I don't know if those are Meyer lemons; maybe they are.")

Potatoes

Onions

Garlic

(Me: "They've got apples here, but I wanna look at the apples outside.")

Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant: ("All kinds of wine.And a wine bar.")

The Gardener:

(Me: "Looks like they sell gardening... things! They have... what do they have? They have mostly bags and baskets, it looks like. They have some candles. They have some potted... onions? ...leeks? I don't know what those are.")

Stone House Olive Oil: (Me: "Which I have yet to try.")

Recchiutti Confections: (Me: "Which I've heard excellent things about!")

San Francisco Fish Company:

Cooked Prawns

Salmon Salad

Tuna Salad

Bay Shrimp

Shrimp Salad

Wild Salmon Fillet

Blue-Nosed Sea Bass

Local Halibut

Specials Today:

Boston Clam Chowder

Manhattan Clam Chowder $2.95, $5.50, $9.00

Lobster Pot Pie (Me: "Lobster Pot Pie! Who'da thought?")

Sauces:

Cocktail

Tartar (I say "TAR-TAR", again. Spaz!)

Remoulade

Honey Mustard

Fresh Smoked Salmon $6.50, $13.00

Salmon Wellington

Shrimp Enchiladas

Stuffed Striped Bass

Culinaire: (Me: "The sign says, 'Antiques for and about Food'. That should be interesting, but it's not open!"

Marin Sun Farms: (Back outside, now in the front part of the outside market. More weekly farmers' stalls.)

Fresh Eggs (Sign: "Delicious. Fresh, Natural, Truly Free-Range Eggs!")

Fresh Sausages:

Hearty Bratwurst

Lean Ground Chuck

(For some reason, here I seem to say, 'Boned, Narrowneck Miscellaneous'! No idea what I meant.)

New York Rib-Eye

Top Sirloin Steak

Cross Ribs

Sirloin Tip

Chuck Roast

Liver

Kidney

Tongue

Ox-Tail

Bones (Sign: "For the Doggies!")

(Here I talk about an interview that was going on with a chef, hosted by Sur la Table. They had big signs announcing, "Celebrity Chef Interview", but nowhere did it say who he was! He looked familiar to me from television, but I couldn't figure out who he was.)

Bulldog Cactus Ranch:

(Me: "All kinds of beautiful cacti in pots.")

A stand selling Reed avocadoes.

???: (Me: "Here's a sign claiming he's got 'The Sweetest, Most Flavorful Fruit!'")

Valencia Oranges

Lemons

Lagier Ranches:

Pies

Almond Butter

Organic Golden Cherry Spreadable Fruit:

Boisenberry

Bing Cherry

Spiced Almonds:

Chocolate-Covered Almonds

Cinnamon Almonds

Mandarin Almonds

Garlic Almonds

Roasted Almonds

Raw Almonds

Almond Slices

???:

Pineapple Oranic Tomatoes

Organic Peppers

Early Girls

San Marzanos

Cowgirl Creamery: (A separate stand in the outside market.)

Bellwether San Andreas

Carmody

St. George

Red Hawk

Mt. Tam

Sir Francis Drake

Piercepoint

Clabbered Cottage Cheese

Fromage Blanc

Creme Fraiche

Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company:

Blue Cheese (Me: "Oh, I'm gonna have to get some of this!")

??? (No sign.):

Orchids

Flowers:

Sunflowers

Dahlias

??? (Couldn't see a sign here, either.)

Mushrooms:

White Buttons (These were huge!)

Brown Buttons

Portabellas

Miatake

King Trumpet

Shiitake

Tree Oysters

Chanterelles

Oregon White Truffles

Organic Shiitake

Capricious Cheese Company: (Eureka, CA)

(Me: It's starting to get really crowded, now, folks! [i go back inside to GG Meats to get the ribs and bacon.] "And it's crazy in here, so I'm gettin' out!!")

-- The End --

Okay, back from the FM, where I had a cup of coffee and an apple turnover from Frog Hollow Farms. I looked for the Downtown Bakery stand (I love their pastries) but they had moved it again! I didn't find it until later.

I bought:

A butternut squash which I'll roast in the toaster oven.

Bates & Schmitt homemade Seville Orange Marmalade and B&S homemade Apricot Jam for making my spread mix, which I had run out of.

Major Farms Vermont Shepherd Cheese (Thanks GG Mora for the suggestion -- this stuff is awesome!).

An Acme ciabatta.

A 3-pound veal roast from Golden Gate meats for $15.04.

Now I'm watching cooking shows on television (for some reason the America's Test Kitchen guy is playing the banjo!), and flipping through cookbooks looking for ideas for the roast.

In case anyone was wondering, still no oven! We're aiming for delivery next weekend. I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Squeat

PS elyse, I checked and we were right! "La Cumbre"!

Edited to add that the veal is free-range veal, the only kind I buy.

PS elyse, I checked and we were right! "La Cumbre"!

Now I wish I could find every asshole who thought I was an idiot for calling it it's proper name. :angry:

Edited to add that the veal is free-range veal, the only kind I buy.

Thank God. Someone with some compassion.

Yay - Squeat gets to use the magic-whatever-toaster-bag-thingies. Can't wait to see the combos you come up with.

If you had a digital camera you could post pics like Jason and Rachel do!!! (and make us all hungry).

The cheese sounds like it is nice and mmmmmmmm butternut squash (pumpkin) :wub: Have you tried it roasted with cummin on it (and olive oil) really good.

So - waiting on these toasted things............

Okay, these Magic Bags are going to change my life. I made smoked ham and swiss on a Kaiser roll with mayo and dijon, and they came out great! It's like it turns a (cheapo) toaster into a fancy sandwich press!

Many thanks to Jason and Rachel Perlow for turning me on to these!

Folks, this blog has been one of the most fun experiences I have had in a long time, and thanks to all for playing along! I've been trying to line up the next blog, but have met with one outright rejection so far, and have heard nothing from the next person I tried. Hopefully we'll all have a blog to entertain us this coming week!

Cheers,

Squeat

Just ignore the objections and tag! (That is what happened to me. I came into it kicking and screaming and then had a good time.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Just ignore the objections and tag! (That is what happened to me. I came into it kicking and screaming and then had a good time.)

Exactly. Squeat, you are too much the gentleman. Tag someone in public.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Well, the first person flatly refused, and mentioned they had been tagged before to no avail, so I thought I would give up on them and try again. I am hopeful that the next person to whom I have tried to pass the baton will step up to the plate (to mix sports metaphors), because I am truly interested in hearing from him or her.

If I have completely stalled the food blog, I do apologize. Time will tell. I stepped up in a sense of fair play, and I didn't even have a stove, so come on, people!

Squeat

Okay, then.

I'm outing everybody! I have officially tagged all of the following:

elyse (she or he won't play)

GG Mora (haven't heard... lives in Vermont and could really be interesting)

Cusina (just tagged, so am willing to give a break, but very curious.)

There. I have tagged. I was tagged. I did my duty and had a hell of a lot of fun. If I have engendered three blogs, all the better!

Squeat

Okay, then.

NOT IT!

And exactly how many guys do you know named elyse?

Okay, then.

NOT IT!

And exactly how many guys do you know named elyse?

Well, not everyone in this forum uses his or her real name. (My own dear mother -- rest her soul -- for example, would never have been so cruel as to saddle me with 'Squeat'.) And, not to perpetuate any Jeb-Bush-style stereotypes, but I DO live in San Francisco -- and you used to -- so it was entirely possible!

The honest answer, though, is none, party-pooper! :angry::hmmm::blink::raz::biggrin:

Squeat

PS I have been informed by misgabi at the 11th hour that I am expected to blog through today as well, so I will post later about further adventures with magic bags and free-range veal.

Edited to add: After that it is up to someone else to pick up the ball!

:blush:

Wow, well, ummm ... o.k.

But I'm a newbie housefrau in Wisconsin who is feeding two kids and it's going on winter here, so not much in the really fresh produce dept. I'll try though.

I'm kind of excited. Squeat seemed to have alot of fun with it so, here goes.

Wish me luck!

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Good luck, Cusina, and thanks for taking up the challenge!

You'll I have a blast, really. I did! And don't worry, I'm sure many folks, as well as myself, will want to hear about coping with Wisconsin late fall/early winter! (I spent part of my childhood in northern Michigan; 'twill bring back memories, I'm sure!)

Cheers,

Squeat