• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover Lobster

mrbigjas

OK so we had three cooked chicks left over from lunch in new hampshire today. We threw them on ice and brought them home here to Philadelphia. I shelled them, keeping the shells and bodies for stockmaking tomorrow evening (they're in the freezer now). But the meat is waiting for me to do something with it tomorrow for dinner.

Thoughts? How to heat it up without making it totally chewy? Is that even possible? What to do with cooked lobster meat?

cold lobster salad?  avacado usually goes well.

lobster roll sandwich?

I just may do that.

I do have issues with cold dinners, though, for some reason--like, I need to cook something. I've been out of town for the last four weekends, and a homecooked meal is my goal; I mean, homecooked by me. So anyways, are you saying that I can't reheat it?

i wouldn't reheat it only because i like cold lobster. cold dinners are fine. i mean, look at larb!

although this could be good stuff for a different thread: is composing something like a salad "cooking." i've had some amazing things that were created without heat.

Edited by tommy (log)

I grew up on lobster salad, so that would be my vote (I am originally from Maine, raised in NH.) Although I am sure others have good lobster salad recipes, I would recommend two approaches:

1. With just mayo (make your own mayo... it is worth it). No celery. A little lettuce if you must. Cut the meat into small pieces and toss.

2. Melt some butter and toss it with the meat and finely chopped chervil and chives.

Either way, a toasted hotdog bun (ideally the rectangular, rather than round) would be my recommended roll.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Lobster Club Sandwich

Yum on crusty sourdough with gruyere and hickory smoked bacon, maybe a little tarragon aioli.

or....

Lobster tacos......repoach lobster meat in a little melted butter and serve into warmed tortillas with avocade, some cilantro, maybe a little pico de gallo.

:laugh:

Bacon tastes good, porkchops taste good...

IMHO, that's a little too much extra stuff on a lobster roll. I would worry that all that mustard, scallions, celery, and basil would take away from the lobster taste.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Here on the coast of Maine we generally use cold lobster for lobster sandwiches or lobster stew. The sandwiches consist of two slices of bread liberally spread with mayo and the lobster meat laid in between. For the stew, melt some good butter in a saucepan and then cook the meat until it starts changing color a little. Then add some whole milk (and maybe a little cream) and simmer.

Well, I made a lobster salad. Homemade mayonnaise, a couple scallions, a little lemon juice, a little parsley. Very little to mess with the lobster. buttered toasted baguette. lettuce. avocado slices on the side. mmmmmmmm

How long can I keep the shells in the freezer before I make stock? I was going to do it this weekend--I rinsed them OK, they can hang for a little while, right?

P.S. Edited to say thanks for all your suggestions. Next time I have lobster I'm gonna try that quiche, I think.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

How long can I keep the shells in the freezer before I make stock?  I was going to do it this weekend--I rinsed them OK, they can hang for a little while, right?

They should certainly keep until the weekend. I just try to remove as much air as possible from the bag. I have certainly kept them longer and they have been fine.

~ Fernand Point

Jasper White (Lobster at Home -- great book) lists a lobster melt (w/lobster salad, tomato and cheddar or colby cheese on an English muffin) that sounds great. Interestingly, his lobster salad does not contain celery, but rather cucumber, as well as scallions and a mayonnaise with or without tarragon (depending on your taste.)

~ Fernand Point

you could have dropped the claws off at my house(just off rt 80 and nj rt 15) :wub::wub::wub:

since it was hot a cold lobster plate would have been divine. toasted, buttered pepperidge farm top split rolls for the claw meat with a drizzle of chipotle mayo, some good slaw and potato salad, the cold tails with drawn butter and lemon........

sorry ... we finally had a rain out so i could get my egullet fix :shock:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites