• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Shopping (with kids in tow)

SobaAddict70

My daughter was this really precious child. She was also devious. At about 1 1/2 to 2 years old she had this trick of leaning from the basket seat toward the rows of baby food, cookies or whatever and moaning as though she was terribly deprived. She always did this if there was a grandmotherly type near. They would coo and cluck and open bags of cookies, dig out some grapes or whatever from their baskets and give her stuff to nosh on. She had this technique down to a fine science. I would have a hard time suppressing an outbreak of the giggles.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I was fortunate to live near Ancona's Supermarket in Ridgefield, CT, Route 7, when my (2) kids were little and I took them grocery shopping all the time. Ancona's has a policy of no lines at their cash registers. If more than one person is in line they open another register lickety split. And their baggers offer to take the groceries to the car and unload for you. They are NOT allowed to accept tips for this, it's just part of their service.

The courtesy at this store is amazing. It's worth a stop if you find yourself driving by. Enjoy their wonderful fried chicken.

Taking the kids shopping also proved to be educational.... The first thing they recognized of course was cereals.... They would recognize the kind they liked... But they also started reading words on labels and boxes at an early age.

I love shopping with my son. We goof on each other all the time, and also have time to catch up with what's going on at school , with friends, etc.

It's amazing what you can get them to talk about when you're not just sitting down and talking. Get them involved in something (grocery shopping, baking cookies, fishing, etc) and just casually bring things up and they will just talk the day away. You can learn so much during those times.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

It's amazing what you can get them to talk about when you're not just sitting down and talking.  Get them involved in something (grocery shopping, baking cookies, fishing, etc) and just casually bring things up and they will just talk the day away.  You can learn so much during those times.

Yep...amazing what one can learn during a simple game of catch on the front yard. :smile:

It can and does happen while we're shopping too, but it's not as contiguous because I'm more distracted.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I really think the joys of shopping depends alot on the age of the kid, the # of kids you have to drag along, and the # of times you need to go shopping a week with them and then of course there is the kids personality........ :biggrin:

I am hoping someday shopping with my 2 year old son will become fun, almost every time I get up to the register the person handling the checkout inevitably says "genki desu ne..." which translates something like "what a healthy child you have" but is basically a cover-up phrase for saying "I have never seen such a wild child!"

I enjoy shopping with my older daughters but th problem is since the 2 year old is also with us it is never as enjoyable as I would like it to be.

My second daughter (age 5) is very interested in food and we talk a lot about different things, my older daughter (age 7) on the other hand would rather be looking at clothes or hair accessories.......... :wacko:

someday, someday.........

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"