• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good (non-diner) breakfast in Northern NJ?

allie

Hi everyone,

I stumbled upon Egullet.com last weekend when running a search for a local restaurant, and I am so ecstatic! This board is so much better than any other I've come across in terms of discussing the merits of food & restaurants.

Anyways, I'll skip the babble & get straight to the point.... where can I find good breakfast in Northern NJ?? Please don't include diners.. I'm looking for breakfast joints that deviate from the norm.. eclectic, fresh ingredients preferred. I've lived in NJ for 3 years now, and to this day I have not found one place that serves what I call a "gourmet breakfast".

For example, a fave breakfast joint of mine in Burlington, VT.. Smokejacks, serves a brown sugar, pecan & cream cheese stuffed sweet potato french toast with fresh whipped cream on top. The Garden Room Cafe in Grand Rapids, MI serves "Garden Blossoms", which are Phyllo Cups filled with Smoked Ham, Chives & Parmesan, topped with Poached Eggs & Hollandaise.

I could go on & on, but I think you get the drift of what I'm looking for. I've been searching high & low for 3 years now, and I still find myself needing to drive into the city anytime I want a good, eclectic breakfast.

Can anybody help??

Nice to meet you all! :biggrin:

Hmm, all the good breakfast places we go to are diner or diner-like: Finks in River Edge, Cinco de Mayo in Begenfield, Baumgarts in Englewood for Sunday brunch, or the Country Pancake House in Ridgewood. Or dim sum at Silver Pond in Fort Lee.

I did a google search to see what else I could some up with. I haven't been to either of these places, but maybe someone else has and could fill us in:

Janice a Bistro, 23 Sheradin Avenue, Ho-ho-kus, 201-445-2666
Verjus Restaurant, 1790 Springfield Avenue, Maplewood, NJ 07040, 973-378-8990 (Sunday brunch)

You know... its funny... but one of the more satisfying breakfasts may be at a place in Oradell called "The Diner", which is a diner run by a guy who also runs Le Jardin in Edgewater. I suppose with that background, he may occasionally break the Diner stereotype and do something interesting.

Do NOT ever eat in "Le Peep Restaurant" in Paramus (does it still even exist?). A breakfast themed place which sucks.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Do NOT ever eat in "Le Peep Restaurant" in Paramus (does it still even exist?).  A breakfast themed place which sucks.

Oh man! I have tried Le Peep actually.. there is one on Rte 10 in Randolph, and I tried it about 2 years ago. Talk about an awful breakfast.. the home fries were straight out of the freezer, and the rest of the food was completely bland.

Thanks to everyone for the recs so far.. it's nice to know I have hope in the breakfast department!

For example, a fave breakfast joint of mine in Burlington, VT.. Smokejacks, serves a brown sugar, pecan & cream cheese stuffed sweet potato french toast with fresh whipped cream on top.

I have no suggestions, but DANG it all, that sounds good.

Actually, there's a place in Bloomfield around the PNC building called Nicole's Cafe. It's a really sweet place, but I don't know if they serve breakfast. Eclectic it is. I sell them my leftover cookies after the farmer's market on Thursdays. Well, I would if I had any left.... :biggrin:

Do NOT ever eat in "Le Peep Restaurant" in Paramus (does it still even exist?).  A breakfast themed place which sucks.

Le Peep moved off of Route 4E in Paramus about 2 years ago and relocated on Route 10E in Randolph as already stated. They have another location on Route 1S in the Brunswicks.

If you are in the Nutley area, The Petite Cafe http://www.thepetitecafe.com has a very nice and unique Sunday Brunch that is relaxing and quaint. The menu is limited but the quality is outstanding. I have two favorite side dishes: Jack Daniels Glazed Ham and the Sweet Breakfast Bruschette which is a sweet ricotta mousse on french toast.

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

Le Peep moved off of Route 4E in Paramus about 2 years ago and relocated on Route 10E in Randolph as already stated.

The people of Randolph should have been out there with pitchforks and torches stopping this. :wink:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

There's a little place in Westwood called Moon that has great breakfasts. The chef Sue comes up with some really inventive omelettes or breakfast wraps.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Allie,

I know what you mean about good breakfast places (& not diners). I am constantly on the search for this. On Watchung Ave in Montclair there is a place called Bluestone. The coffee is great (they roast their own beans on the premises); the breakfast food is good (not great), but at least it's not a diner. It has a nice coffee house-type atmosphere.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend Raymond's on Church St in Montclair. Each time I've been, the food has been mediocre & the service worse, but it's mobbed all the time, so I am probably the only one who has had this experience there.

Had breakfast at Fink's a few wks ago & it was very good.

I went to Smokejack's in Burlington last year & it was really good.

Please post if you try any of the recommendations already posted or if you find any new places. Thanks.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

Allie,

I know what you mean about good breakfast places (& not diners).  I am constantly on the search for this.  On Watchung Ave in Montclair there is a place called Bluestone.  The coffee is great (they roast their own beans on the premises); the breakfast food is good (not great), but at least it's not a diner.  It has a nice coffee house-type atmosphere.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend Raymond's on Church St in Montclair.  Each time I've been, the food has been mediocre & the service worse, but it's mobbed all the time, so I am probably the only one who has had this experience there.

Hi-

Its so nice that you understand what I'm talking about. Honestly, I've lived in about 4 different states plus Canada and I've never lived in an area so lacking in good breakfast! My co-workers think its hysterical that I would want anything for breakfast besides bacon & eggs, and I've asked so many folks in this area for recommendations, and have not received one good one in the almost 3 years I've lived in Northern NJ :angry:

So I actually trekked over to Raymond's this past Saturday with my boyfriend, and was kind of excited when they said they were only open until 3:40 PM (on the phone). Traditionally, most really good breakfast joints aren't open for dinner, so I thought this meant good grubbins were on the way! I was also excited when I saw the crowd sitting outside... well, imagine my dismay when I found out they only served breakfast until 11:15 AM (it was 2:30 PM at this point). For someone like me who doesn't even get up before 11:00 AM on a Saturday, this was a shock...their breakfast menu wasn't very big either, but I will be moving to the Montclair area in December so I will definitely give it a shot at some point.

Neither of us were really in the mood for sandwiches from Raymond's lunch menu, so we decided to try Taro (eclectic Asian cuisine) right next door. Yummy yummy yummy!! I will certainly go back there again- I dug the food, and the restaurant design is awesome.

I'll have to try Bluestone & Moon next.. thanks you guys for more recs! I'm majorly addicted to eGullet already...

For someone like me who doesn't even get up before 11:00 AM on a Saturday, this was a shock

hee hee. i like you. :biggrin:

you know, there's a crepe place across the street from Raymond's called Suzette that i have come to love for late breakfast. i'm so in love with one of their savory crepes that i get it every time i go and i haven't really tried too much else on the menu, but i am pretty sure that they have a buncha interesting omelets and breakfast-y crepes, along with really good fresh juices and good cappucino, muffins, pastries, etc. it's a cool mellow place to hang out on a weekend (late) morning.

there's another crepe place in watchung plaza, i think it's called bonjour or something original like that, but i like suzette better.

Had breakfast today at Jefferson's Cafe, 88 Maple Avenue, Montclair. I had cheese eggs (scrambled eggs with cheese, a bowl of grits and biscuits. My friend had poached eggs, grits, and biscuits. With tea and coffee the bill was $7 with tax for the two of us. They are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and make great southern fried chicken. If you are looking for Southern cooking try this place.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

The Country Pancake House in the center of Ridgewood on Ridgewood Avenue has huge breakfasts in a country-style environment, like you would see in upstate NY or New England. About 100 types of pancakes and waffles, all kinds of eggs and omelettes. Portions too big to finish. Big lines on weekends, go on a weekday if you can.

Country Pancake House

140 East Ridgewood Avenue

Ridgewood, N.J.

For someone like me who doesn't even get up before 11:00 AM on a Saturday, this was a shock

hee hee. i like you. :biggrin:

you know, there's a crepe place across the street from Raymond's called Suzette that i have come to love for late breakfast. i'm so in love with one of their savory crepes that i get it every time i go and i haven't really tried too much else on the menu, but i am pretty sure that they have a buncha interesting omelets and breakfast-y crepes, along with really good fresh juices and good cappucino, muffins, pastries, etc. it's a cool mellow place to hang out on a weekend (late) morning.

Another late breakfast connisseur? Awesome! Hey, so I had some extra time on lunch today & decided to take a drive to Montclair to check out Suzette . This is exactly what I'm looking for! This reminds me of alot of my old faves in San Francisco, such as Squat & Gobble. First of all, the atmosphere is great.... comfy seating, funky colors etc, plus for food they have tons of smoothies, sandwiches, salads, breakfast items and of course crepes crepes crepes!!

I will definitely go back ASAP to try their breakfast, but today some of their sandwiches really caught my eye so I decided to go for a Friz. This was proscuitto, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers, pesto sauce on rosemary ciabatta bread. Plus, you get a nice salad on the side which is always welcome! What a great sandwich.. fresh ingredients and great flavor... I can't wait to try their breakfast now.

I think my next choice will be an Apples & Brie crepe- what is your favorite savory crepe that you mentioned above?

AAWK! I mentioned Moon in Westwood the other day, well, we stopped there for breakfast this past Sun. and it was closed. The guy inside working on renovations said it was going to be a Horn and Hardart!! YUCK!!

• 2 weeks later...
The Country Pancake House in the center of Ridgewood on Ridgewood Avenue has huge breakfasts in a country-style environment, like you would see in upstate NY or New England.  About 100 types of pancakes and waffles, all kinds of eggs and omelettes. Portions too big to finish. Big lines on weekends, go on a weekday if you can. 

Country Pancake House

140 East Ridgewood Avenue

Ridgewood, N.J.

I'll second menton on Country Pancake House. Don't go on weekends unless you like to stand on lines.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We just went to the Country Pancake House in Ridgewood this morning for breakfast and WOW! I had a humongous Montery Jack, asparagus and tomato omelet, that was super. The ingredients were so fresh. I did not have the pancakes and potatoes with it (cause I'm trying to be low carb). One of us had the French toast with strawberries and bananas. Looked so good, and one of us had the eggs benedict, that looked good too.

We only had about a 10 minute wait. We went about 9:30.

Has anyone been there for dinner or lunch?

Edited by shugga (log)