• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried cheesecake

KateW

Has anyone ever had this? I saw it advertised at the Ground Round recently. It made me think about how they're made...Are they actually breaded frozen bits of cheesecake that you dunk in the fryolater? (shudder)

I was tempted to try it but would really only want a sample...

It was on an episode of A Cook's Tour this season when he went to the Mall of America. Bourdain thought it was gross.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

There used to be a small Japanese place down the street from us that fried cheesecake in tempura batter. Cold and creamy on the inside, warm and melty on the outside.

Best. Thing. Ever. Well, almost.

Unfortunately, that place shut down and tho I have tried it elsewhere, it has never been as good as that place.

I had a few bites of the fried Key Lime Cheesecake at Indigo in Denver last week.

They had taken a cylinder of cake, about 1/2 inch by 4 inches, rolled it in breadcrumbs (and maybe egg first?), then fried it. It was lighter and creamier than the unfried cake, of which I also had a sample, and the crunchy crumbs were a nice counterpoint. If memory serves, there were three of these pieces, served with a Malibu Rum dipping sauce. I thought it was a successful dish.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I had a few bites of the fried Key Lime Cheesecake at Indigo in Denver last week...

served with a Malibu Rum dipping sauce. I thought it was a successful dish.

I want this.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I had it at a restaurant once. A long piece of cheesecake was wrapped in a spring roll wrapper, deep-fried, and served with fruit and chocolate sauce. It was really, really good. I suspect the cheesecake was frozen, because it was still properly cold in the middle.

These are dropped into the fryer for just such a sort period of time -- I think they are from Sysco. The shape and look like egg rolls. They are much like a cannoli in many respects and yummy too. Garnish was either chocolate or caramel sauce with strawberries and banana slices.

These are dropped into the fryer for just such a sort period of time -- I think they are from Sysco.  The shape and look like egg rolls.  They are much like a cannoli in many respects and yummy too.  Garnish was either chocolate or caramel sauce with strawberries and banana slices.

So what you're saying is that I can buy them by the case from my wholesaler, right?

A local pan-asian restaurant does a rice pudding spring roll with bittersweet chocolate dipping sauce. Really really good. One of these days I won't burn myself.

I see frozen cheesecake on a stick at the various street fairs but not deep-fried.

Does it make me a bad person if I think that fried cheesecake sounds abso-freakin-lutely delicious? I'm going to have food dreams all night...fried cheesecake...fried twinkies...better yet, fried chocodiles! :blink:

I think Applebee's serves fried cheesecake. It's one of my dad's favorite post-performance (he's a doctor who acts in his spare time, or an actor who doctors in his spare time, whichever) hangouts (also one of the only places in West Phoenix open after 11 pm on a weeknight), so next time I go visit I'll join him and try some.

K

Edited to correct stupid spelling error. D'OH!

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Now, see - that takes two of my very favorite things, cheesecake and fried anything, and puts them together. I'd guess it would be sheer heaven.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Martini Beach in Cape May, NJ has this on the dessert menu. It's called "encrusted cheesecake", so as not to scare folks off. I suggested we wrap it in bacon and just call it "Heart Attack on a Plate" ! :laugh:

All kidding aside, it's surprisingly delicious. Lethal actually, on the decadence scale. For all of you who think this would be your food fantasy come true, you're probably right. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Heh....it's on the menu at Shoney's Big Boy down the street from my house, too.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I liked the idea of the one I saw at the Ground Round. It was bite sized pieces of cheesecake, individually coated and fried. And served with ice cream, hot fudge and I think strawberry sauce.

Hmmm, there's a Ground Round right across from Ruby Tuesday... :biggrin:

Martini Beach in Cape May, NJ has this on the dessert menu.  It's called "encrusted cheesecake", so as not to scare folks off.  I suggested we wrap it in bacon and just call it "Heart Attack on a Plate" !  :laugh:

Katie, you're killing me! :wub:

I make this on occasion and most enjoy it.

I simply make a cheesecake batter and chill,then I make lemon curd and chill,then I fill a pastry bag with the cheesecake filling and pipe it into a soft flour tortilla,then I pipe a bit of the lemon curd over the batter and egg wash the interior and wrap it like an eggroll.I then freeze it for an hour,Then I fry it in virgin vegetable oil,remove,pat dry and roll it in cinnamen/sugar and serve it with Anglaise.

Really quite nice.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

I simply make a cheesecake batter and chill,then I make lemon curd and chill,then I fill a pastry bag with the cheesecake filling and pipe it into a soft flour tortilla,then I pipe a bit of the lemon curd over the batter and egg wash the interior and wrap it like an eggroll.I then freeze it for an hour,Then I fry it in virgin vegetable oil,remove,pat dry and roll it in cinnamen/sugar and serve it with Anglaise.

Really quite nice.

I'd love to say something clever, but all I can say is:

Damn!

That sounds amazing... :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Martini Beach in Cape May, NJ has this on the dessert menu.  It's called "encrusted cheesecake", so as not to scare folks off.  I suggested we wrap it in bacon and just call it "Heart Attack on a Plate" !  :laugh:

All kidding aside, it's surprisingly delicious.  Lethal actually, on the decadence scale.  For all of you who think this would be your food fantasy come true, you're probably right. :biggrin:

Hmm, what would happen if you tried this with a slice of Dave the Cook's pork cake?

Really quite nice.

I'd love to say something clever, but all I can say is:

Damn!

That sounds amazing... :wub:

Ditto.

That sounds amazing. I might have to try that.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs