• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried cheesecake

KateW

throbbing%20heart.gif I sort of did. I have lemon curd. My mother stopped by with a slice of her cheesecake.

I cheated and used melted Newman's Obscene Vanilla Bean ice cream. Rich, crispy, gooey. I think next time I'll follow Brad's route for better results (if there *can* be better results!)

What a lunch! smilie%20with%20hearts.gif

Does it make me a bad person if I think that fried cheesecake sounds abso-freakin-lutely delicious?  I'm going to have food dreams all night...fried cheesecake...fried twinkies...better yet, fried chocodiles!

What's a chocodile?

What's a chocodile?

I suppose I just dated myself. :wacko:

A chocodile is essentially a chocolate-covered twinkie. They're made by Hostess--tend to be a bit bigger than twinkies, and only come one to a package, but the principle is the same. Golden sponge cake, probably carcinogenic cream filling, dipped in chocolate.

And none of it exists in nature, with the possible exception of the chocolate.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

the first thing I thought when I saw this topic was

"good god, cheesecake fried in a deep fat fryer full of oil used to deep fry fish cakes'

lord knows why I thought that but it seemed like another case of deep fried snickers bars gone awry.

thank goodness the reality has no bearing whatsoever on the fantasy. :blink:

Soba

It get's a bit nerve racking when you start seeing things pop up that should never be fried in the first place, cheesecake and snickers bars. I think this trend started in the mid-west, in fact I am almost sure of it. They can take anything including broccoli and find a reason to fry it.

Welcome carbless!

Ever eat a cannoli? When I make cannoli shells they are deepfried and then piped full of a delightful cheese mixture.... Similar, but not quite the same.

Give it a try! You may find a sinfully secret pleasure.... At least I won't tell anyone.....

:biggrin:

• 1 month later...
What is "virgin vegetable oil"?

Oil pressed from vegetables that have not been pollinated.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

QUOTE (beans @ Jul 25 2003, 04:33 PM)

These are dropped into the fryer for just such a sort period of time -- I think they are from Sysco. The shape and look like egg rolls. They are much like a cannoli in many respects and yummy too. Garnish was either chocolate or caramel sauce with strawberries and banana slices.

So what you're saying is that I can buy them by the case from my wholesaler, right?

the wack idea becomes even more wack when you suggest buying them from Sysco...

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

yeah, but....

is it cost control or laziness?

not trying to condescend, I just believe that good food can be perpared no matter the kitchen, no matter the price range, no matter the ingredient.

I was just kitchen manager at a bar (yuck) and ran food that had the appearance of being high-end without the high end price tag and it was because instead of relying on Sysco to do the cooking for me, I formulated what I wanted and did it for cheaper using raw materials. But, then again I am kind of a snob...

Apparently! :biggrin:

Work with a kitchen of an assorted crew that cannot make Chicken Marsala the same way twice and it has been off an on the Fall/Winter menu several times throughout the last 14 years. Some of the same fellas since the beginning of time too (grand opening)! Where I work, extensive prep work has been eliminated for cost purposes. This is a high volume machine that cranks out six figures in sales on any given weekend night. From scratch is not possible. (And we don't use SYSCO).

Good presentation, good tasting food at an accessible and attractive price for the patron while maintaining a reasonable food cost in tow, that's what where I work is all about. Oh, yeah, and cranking out the cocktails.

Welcome to eG. I seem to miss the opinionated chefs discussions. :biggrin::wink:

Try one of these little devil tempting fried cheesecakes. They are frighteningly good. :blink: (And BTW, it was a finer dining establishment that I first ordered one of these. They couldn't afford nor had any interest for a pastry chef. They spent all of them salaried $$$ on a decent CEC that could produce pastry, if the demand for same was present).

Your volley. :laugh:

Touche, Frijoles!

I understand your stance. Uber-high volume kitchens with standard kitchen workers probably are better suited to buy premade items. Being that the largest kitchen I have worked in only featured four line cooks during service, I guess I do not have quite the grasp of a culinary machine like the one you describe.

And I am not meaning to bag on those items...I'm sure they are very good. My only gripe is when a restaurant will talk up certain items when they didn't produce them....like, "Try OUR wonderful fried cheesecake!" it isn't THEIRS...it's Sysco's (or whoever's)

Like this "pizza" joint that just opened next door to my practice studio: They bought a very nice and very expensive pizza oven but only use prepackaged crusts with the sauce and cheese already on them....I just think that's tacky...

but then again, like I said, I am a snob :cool:

truce?

Edited by Bicycle Lee (log)

No truce! We're not at war! :cool:

I sincerely meant I missed the straight from the hip, tell it like it is chef discussions.

I agree, something needs to be created with two hands from whole ingredients *somewhere* in a commercial kitchen. That's what is reserved for our changed daily, featured entrees showcasing the talents of our esteemed and fearless kitchen leader. The man loves commanding a small kitchen army, but also totes in his own personal stash of saffron, which sometimes has a way of sneaking into one of his beautiful dinners. :wub:

Maybe this should be continued into a new thread Bicycle Lee?

Good discussion. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...
These are dropped into the fryer for just such a sort period of time -- I think they are from Sysco. The shape and look like egg rolls. They are much like a cannoli in many respects and yummy too. Garnish was either chocolate or caramel sauce with strawberries and banana slices.

So what you're saying is that I can buy them by the case from my wholesaler, right?

the wack idea becomes even more wack when you suggest buying them from Sysco...

I bought these from my wholesaler about 3 years ago when they first came out. Only the caramel/banana flavor was available at the time. I was doubtful, but when I tasted the sample, I was sold. It wasn't fake banana flavor. It came frozen, looked just like a spring roll. I fried them in a small stove top fryer, which I reserved for them only, so as not to transfer any weird flavors. After they came out of the oil, i rolled them in cinnamon sugar and served in a puddle of warm dark chocolate sauce. MMMMMM It wasn't an easy sell, but the staff loved them. They were called xango (pronounced chang-go). Its no shame in buying the occasion premade item from Sysco. Sometimes, only synthetics will do. Its junkfood.

ps. Frying temperature is crucial. Too hot, and the dessert will still be frozen in the middle. Not hot enough, the filling will melt before the outside is crisp, so you turn up the fryer, and it explodes. Only happened once. Thank god I was on the other side of the kitchen, but what a mess. 350-365 is prime.