• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

11 seasoning fried chicken tenders

laddx005

11 seasoning fried chicken tenders

Serves 3 as Main Dish.

Chicken tenders or nuggets are among my favorite foods. Ever since my first church potluck I've been fascinated with fried chicken seasonings. Including trying to figure out the KFC version. I don't really recall purposefully looking at fried chicken seasonings, but I am sure that's had an influence. But rather I've always intuitively tried to find the best savory mix of flavor. Below is what I came up with a couple of years ago and it has performed pretty consistently for me.

30-45 prep time, 1-1/2 hour cooking time depending on pan size.

Pre-prepare each step before you get started.

Step 1

Into 1 mixing bowel

4 skinless, cut up boneless chicken breasts

1/4 cup honey

2-cups milk

1Tablespoon kosher salt or 1 tsp salt

[Cut up chicken breasts into whatever size strips you wish. I like 2-3" pieces. Soak thawed chicken in milk, honey and salt for 1/2 hour. Make sure the milk covers the chicken pieces completly.]

Step 2

Prepare:

1 cup of flour in 1 plastic freezer bag

With your fingers, collect a handful of tenders at a time, and put into the bag, zip it up and shake.

Then take the chicken out and put on a clean work surface.

Step 3

Into 1 mixing bowel beat

2 large eggs

1/8 -1/4 cup water

Now take the previously floured chicken, a handful at a time, and dip tenders into egg mixture and toss into the next bag and shake (See step 3.5). Then lay out pieces on work surface with pieces not touching each other. Try not to shake the flour off the chiken.

During this process you will want to wash your hands so the flour doesn't stick to you so much. Don't worry about a time frame the chicken will sit fine.

NEXT BAG (2 nd coating)

Step 3.5

Prepare:

1 plastic freezer bag with,

2-cups flour

1-cup of cornmeal

and spice mix.

[spice mix (dried spices)(try to grind up if too big)

-1/2 to 1 Teaspoon (depends on your taste) of:

sage, oragano, pepper, paprika, tyme, salt, mustard powder, garlic powder, parsely, basil]

Step 4

In a frying pan of about 12-14 inches, with at least 2" sides, fill the pan 1/2 full of the following oil mixture. 1/2 canola or vegtable oil, 1/2 peanut oil, and several drops of seasame oil.

Cook the tenders in the oil on med high heat for 6 min. per side until golden in batchs of 6 tenders at a time. You don't want the tenders to touch one another in the cooking process.

After they are done cooking, place paper towels on a big plate and put the chicken on that. I then put a paper towel and foil over that, so that the chicken stays warm while the rest of the batches are cooking.

I like to have dipping sauces for my tenders too.

Keywords: Appetizer, Dinner, Main Dish, Lunch, Intermediate, American, Chicken

( RG2133 )