• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Cheap Eats in New Orleans!

ExCentriX

Hi! I am from Montreal, Canada, and will be coming down to New Orleans September for a Cruise trip. I will only have one full day to explore New Orleans good cheap eats! :biggrin: It can be anywhere from a street stand to a sit down restaurant, to something greasy and unhealthy! I only live once right! :raz: I find there is nothing more satisfying than to find something that give you the best value for the buck! Any suggestions! Thanks in Advance!

Not sure Breakfast at Brennan's would qualify as "cheap eats" --

I would think more along the lines of Camellia Grill, Port of Call (burgers), Clancy's, Mandina's, Uglesich's, Domilise's, Mother's, etc...

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Oysters, a poboy and beer at Acme Oyster House.

I also second Mother's for either breakfast or lunch.

Brennans will run over $30 for breakfast.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Parasols on Constance St. off of St. Charles has my favorite huge soft shell crab poboy. They put like 3 crabs on that thing for like $7.

For a great reasonable lunch, go to Mr. B's Bistro in the quarter. You get a fine dining atmosphere, and good New Orleans fare at a very resonable price.

And I second the Cafe Du Monde idea. Great beignets and chicory coffee or rich hot chocolate for less than $3. Can't go wrong.

Not sure Breakfast at Brennan's would qualify as "cheap eats" --

Yeah, you're right, but it is an experience. However, Praline Connection is pretty reasonable and Cafe Du Monde is cheap.

Thanks for the all the suggestions! So many places, such little time! :hmmm:

I believe I will be staying in the french quarter. Besides mister B's Bistro, are all these location far from that area? Or any more suggestions that I should not miss out in that area? Thanks again.

Here's my suggestion: go to Three Sisters. It's not cheap in terms of face value, but they have an AMAZING, gut-busting buffet that will allow you to sample virtually every regional delicacy your heart desires. So in the end, you will save $$ in terms of not having to dine at a half-dozen places to sample all the good stuff, and certainly it will economize on time -- more time to spend in the jazz clubs!

Here's what I remember trying at Three Sisters: crawfish, gumbo, jumbalaya, corn bread, all kinds of fishes and stews and cheeses and desserts....YUM!

If all else fails, find a deli that appeals to you and get a Muffaletta sandwich.

And I'll fall into line & agree, Cafe du Monde for coffee & beignets.

Enjoy!

There is a Praline Connection in the quarter at 542 Frenchmen Street. I went to the one out of the quarter that's a gospel jazz hall and has a Sunday brunch from 11-2 with jazz. Check out the site at www.pralineconnection.com where they list their menu and have some pictures.

Cafe Du Monde is in the French Market on Decatur street. That's the original site; there are now other sites. See the cafedumonde web site.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to go where the locals go, try Elizabeth's in the Bywater neighborhood for breakfast, lunch or Sunday brunch. It's cheap, the portions huge, and the quality superior. Boudin balls, praline bacon, fried oysters with jalapeno jelly, and daily specials. We ate there 3 times the 5 days we were in New Orleans. Also, the owner/chef Heidi is a doll. They have a website.

Poppy's Grill -- it's not regional food, but it's an essential stop. Open late, so if you come in on a late flight it's good to know. It's on St. Peter's in the French Quarter.

I used to travel to NOLA all the time on business -- work for a French company so the dinners out are always first-rate. After a week of foie gras, turtle soup, quail, oysters, and bread pudding from Commander's Palace et al, there's nothing better than a smashed burger steamed under a hubcap. Bear in mind that it comes with mayo automatically. The cook will never let you forget it if you ask for a replacement top for your burger, and when you get it, it won't be toasted. I always forget to ask, but the last time I went back the cook knew me on sight and held the mayo. Purple-haired waitress said "Wow. He never does that for anyone." Don't you love those moments?

Remoulade -- it's the casual sister of Arnaud's and right next door on Bourbon St. Can't miss the Shrimp Arnaud -- I've had it both places and Arnaud's had slightly better shrimp served on a bed of watercress & frisee -- Remoulade plops them down on I think Romaine, but the sauce is the same. They're both awesome. And if I remember correctly, Arnaud's will not automatically serve French bread on the side, but Remoulade does. Use it to scoop up the shrimp, and you'll be in heaven. Perfect stop if you want to feel like you've gotten your money's worth.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

• 2 weeks later...

As a student, I like to think I've got a decent handle on the cheap part - as for good, well, that's awfully relative.

I'd recommend Dunbar's on Freret, though. Fried chicken, red beans and rice, big poboys, fried seafood. The cornbread is a little sweet for my taste, but good. Their lemonade's great. I usually get that and a shrimp poboy. I haven't tried their bread pudding yet, but I hear it's also good.

For "regional", very cheap, and tasty, that's where I go.

The neighborhood is... not the nicest. But it's not horrible. It's very close to the university area. The address is 4927 Freret Street, and they're NOT open on Sundays, at all.

It might be a bit tricky to get to from the quarter, though, unless you don't mind walking ~10 blocks from Saint Charles (the streetcar line.) I'd get off the streetcar at Jefferson Avenue, then walk ~7 blocks up to Freret, then hang a right and go ~3 blocks down Freret to Dunbar's. That walk isn't too sketchy, I believe.

Uptown-

Camellia Grill

Jaucqes Imo's (not entirely cheap and takes reservations)

Frankie and Johnnies

Mid CIty

Katies

Liuzza's

Rock n Bowl (fun and the foods not bad for late night fare)

Mandina's (not so cheap but really good and real New Orleans(drunk local socialites))

Quarter

Johnnies Po Boys

Central Grocery

Verdi Mart (premier late night dining and killer people watching)

Mona's

Any Lucky Dog Cart

I am not listing stuff others have listed and this list is not comprehensive. New Orleans is one of the best cheap eating cities in the country. As my friend Fred Flames puts it "New Orleans is a city with a very low standard of living and a very high quality of life"

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Metairie, if you get a respite from the quarter, has a great dive called Gennaro's. Po boys, beans and rice, and whatever blue plate special should feed you and a loved one for about $15. The waitress there looks formidable (taller than my husband and broader shoulders, too), but she is sweet as pie and puttin' herself through school, so overtip if you go.

I second, third, and fourth the Elizabeth's recommendation. If I could only eat at one N.O. restaurant over and over again, for cheap, it'd be Elizabeth's. I've been craving that place nearly everyday since returning home to Philly. Take a cab--GO!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

We'll THIRD the Elizabeth's vote!! (And they just reopened, after being shut for a month due to Chartres St. construction.) Elizabeth's We stay in the Bywater every other month, as I show at an art market there, and pleased as punch to be just a 2 block walk from Elizabeth's. PLUS, they do a booth at the Art Market, so my husband gets to stuff himself with Heidi's ham biscuits, first thing Sat. morning! Friday mid-mornings, we head down to start off the day with her lunch menu. (I wish they were open for dinner!) If you're staying on the Mr. B's side of the Quarter, it's about a $5 cab ride over to Bywater, and well worth it. But make it early, so you can eat their 'real food done real good'. You could then wander fully prepared!

But, if you wanted to stay in the Quarter, I'd recommend Maspero's for cheap, wonderful po'boys and muffaleta's. (They don't take credit cards, tho.) Brennan's requires a trip out to the garden district AND doesn't allow shorts, etc., so that might not be an option if you're looking to eat in your tourist togs.

I can't imagine having only a day in such an incredible place, but you will have the best time in that day you could have anywhere on earth, that's for sure! :biggrin:

Beege {:^)

The neighborhood is... not the nicest. But it's not horrible. It's very close to the university area. The address is 4927 Freret Street, and they're NOT open on Sundays, at all.

It might be a bit tricky to get to from the quarter, though, unless you don't mind walking ~10 blocks from Saint Charles (the streetcar line.) I'd get off the streetcar at Jefferson Avenue, then walk ~7 blocks up to Freret, then hang a right and go ~3 blocks down Freret to Dunbar's. That walk isn't too sketchy, I believe.

can you still take the Feret Flyer muni bus? just do not try to take it late. the run stops fairly early or used to.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Brennan's requires a trip out to the garden district AND doesn't allow shorts, etc., so that might not be an option if you're looking to eat in your tourist togs. 

I believe you are referring to Commander's Palace (owned by the Brennan's) rather than to Brennan's itself, which is in the Quarter...

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.