• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Englishman In New York

Andy Lynes

Figure closer to 7. I think we should bring him to one of our two favorite Mexican dives.  :raz:

Style of cuisine up to Andy. What can't you get at home, dear boy? Highly recommended without having to drive too far would be Chinese, Vietnamese, Mexican, Italian, Barbecue, Thai, Korean, Japanese, Spanish/Portuguese, or great burgers at a diner.

Edit: How could I forget Korean & Japanese?

Vietnamese, Barbecue, Korean, Spanish/Portuguese are difficult to come by in the UK. I am up for any of those.

Personally, I'd choose China 46. In other words, go with the most exceptional rather than choosing by category. But that's just me, and it's not my decision. Whose decision is it? It should be Jason and Rachel's, since they're Andy's guides to the area. We can always get some Korean in Manhattan after the bar crawl anyway -- Kang Suh is open 24/7. Fink's can be visited for a snack some other time. Newark is too far. And C46 will let you BYO, right? That could make for a nice welcome to America.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Rosie, I know you prefer Hunan Cottage, but keep in mind we would have just slugged through rush hour traffic from JFK and its 45 minutes from our house, vs 15 for C46. Plus, Andy's never been there before and I promise not to order anything weird.

Rosie, I know you prefer Hunan Cottage, but keep in mind we would have just slugged through rush hour traffic from JFK and its 45 minutes from our house, vs 15 for C46. Plus, Andy's never been there before and I promise not to order anything weird.

JFK. UGH!!!! I thought you were picking him up in Newark. Between the planes always landing late and the traffic it may be hard for you to plan on an exact time. Make your plans and I'll try to join you. May have to switch some dates.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

OK then people. We are aiming for China 46 at 7 PM* Thursday night. (His plane is scheduled to land at 3:45, that leaves about 3 hours for him to get through customs (please don't check your bag, Andy) and for us to drive home. I know it's rush hour, but that should be more than enough time for us to get home and take a breath before leaving for dinner.) I'm not ordering ahead, but it shouldn't be more than $40 per person (really stretching it since I'm not planning on ordering the weird expensive stuff I did last time, unless someone really wants the Fish Casserole, and I think we should treat Andy being its his inaugural NJ meal), BYOB.

* Someone who knows they will have access to eGullet for the entire late afternoon should PM me their phone number so I can let you all know if we're going to be late.

The only delay in checking a bag is that you have to wait for it to be unloaded at the baggage carrousel. That's going to add anywhere from 10 - 45 minutes. Well maybe not 45 minutes, but it seems as if I've had to wait hours for my baggage to show up. Of course the longer you have to wait for your bag, the longer the line will be when you get to customs and immigration.

However the airlines are stricter about carry ons these days. Not checking bags may not be as easy as it used to be.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

If it's BA, the restriction since 9/11 has been one carry-on bag, max 13 pounds, plus a purse, briefcase, or laptop computer.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hope no one has anything against the small trio i invited: tuba, drums and flute.

Is that a jazz trio?

Yes Pan, I thought it'd be fun to have live music. I've tentatively invited my friends Clark Gayton (tuba or trombone) and Victor Jones, the drummer. Clark played at the the BBQ week tents and I've re-posted his photo on that thread. They won't be loud, but they will be groovy. Protests? I'll gladly lend them an ear and reconsider so don't be shy...

and Tommy: can you still come Friday?

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

The only thing that matters is that I will be there.

Oh, and Andy too.

So are we not going out on Friday?

Thats a separate issue, I think.

Right. My understanding is that we're starting with the party, then, when lissome kicks us out, those who want to can go out for bar crawling, and then if there's a sustained commitment we can stumble into Kang Suh after midnight.

and then if there's a sustained commitment we can stumble into Kang Suh after midnight

for yuke :wub:

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

lissome, i can't make friday

:eyesswollenwithtears:

-Beaumarchais

It seems that the joisey folks have hijacked this 'lets-have-a-pint-or two' for tomorrow.

Andy: It's like going outside the M25 onto A3 or A12 --- You might as well have posted in the Joisey Section --- :biggrin::biggrin:

Edited by anil (log)

anil