• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Englishman In New York

Andy Lynes

Yesterday was an extremely memorable day for me for a number of reasons, not least Lissome's wonderful bit of a do. I was very flattered and humbled by the whole thing. It was quite an extraordinary experience to meet everyone, and I had a great time. I failed to do justice in any manner to the wonderful food on offer, and could hardly manage a mouthful of Korean BBQ later on, so I apologise for my poor English appetite. I'm not feeling particularly articulate at the moment, so will try and compose something more interesting when I get back to the UK on Monday.

Thank you Lissome it was very gracious of you to have offered your place. It is unfortunate that you hardly sat down to enjoy the wonderful party you were giving. We all enjoyed it. :biggrin: Sorry everybody dissappeared so quickly and left you to do all the cleanup :sad:

WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

Who's going to dinner tomorrow?

Andy, you're going to the museum alone? :sad: If you're still online, whattime are you getting out and heading over to dinner? I'm in the neighborhood.

you are too kind. especially not to mention the twin pissaladiere disasters :laugh: first was from Johnston's Cuisine of Sun; the second one i think was from Patricia Wells. I wanted to 'make' the Eric Ripert third (no yeast, butter) but the night before i ran out of flour and the next day was too darn hot to try a third time :sad: they looked pretty though; told you we shouldn't have cut them :smile: the ceviche, which i thought kinda sucked, tastes better today you'll be happy to hear. Wasn't someone supposed to invite Nobu?

eXtra thanks to jhlurie for getting ice! and Buxie for the cava! and Rachel and Ellen and everyone for lugging all their bottles too, in such heat. Thanks to Mrs. B for her ineluctable grace. That was Japanese poet Ochiisi with her Swimming Noodles. She very much enjoyed the delicious smoked fishies (sable, salmon and what was the third?) lxt brought. And omigod SF: your hummus was transcendental.

thank you all for coming. it was fun to meet.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

you are too kind. especially not to mention the twin pissaladiere disasters

And omigod SF: your hummus was transcendental.

I would have taken the pissaladieres if I knew they were going to be chucked! And you made a fabulous tappenade! Yum.

And yes, Suzanne's hummus was lovely.

Actually we brought bottles of Cava and Prosecco which we had never tried before, but I dont think I had any because it was so hot that day. I hope they were good!

I really, really liked the Drunken Somen Noodles that one of Elissa's friends brought along. Would it be possible to get the precise recipe of the broth? We were told it was Japanese Fish Sauce combined with Kikkoman soy sauce, with scallions and chopped ginger for garnish, but I thought there might be something else to it!

And yes, Suzanne's choumous was very good indeed.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Everyone who wasn't there...what happened???

I've been having severe allergies. I don't think someone having hard coughing fits would have been fun at a party. I was sorry I couldn't make it, and I'm glad you all had a good time!

Michael aka "Pan"

I really, really liked the Drunken Somen Noodles that one of Elissa's friends brought along. Would it be possible to get the precise recipe of the broth? We were told it was Japanese Fish Sauce combined with Kikkoman soy sauce, with scallions and chopped ginger for garnish, but I thought there might be something else to it!

"Japanese fish sauce" drew a blank when I heard it and it made me focus in the wrong direction. I will bet that was dashi -- Japanese all purpose stock traditionally made from shaved dried bonito and kelp, although frequently made from an instant mix.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

"Japanese fish sauce" drew a blank when I heard it and it made me focus in the wrong direction. I will bet that was dashi -- Japanese all purpose stock traditionally made from shaved dried bonito and kelp, although frequently made from an instant mix.

Okay, yes, this would certainly be the correct taste, dashi broth.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Well I was having dizzy spells so it would have been fine.  And that was BEFORE I got knocked in the head by the door.  You were missed.

Elyse, I hope you're feeling much better today!

Michael aka "Pan"

Belated thanks to Lissome for her warm and generous hospitality. I had a fantastic time - what wonderful company! Thanks also to Andy for precipitating the evening. Enjoy the rest of your holiday :biggrin:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Well I was having dizzy spells so it would have been fine. And that was BEFORE I got knocked in the head by the door.  You were missed.

Elyse, I hope you're feeling much better today!

I have incredibly low blood pressure. I guess that's why I crave things like brine. :blink:

Today, I was a bit shaky (I'm SUCH a lightweight!), but by 3 or so, I was feeling tops. By 8, I was racing downtown to deliver the crab chips to Andy. Actually, 8:15. I made amazing time.

eXtra thanks to jhlurie for getting ice! and Buxie for the cava! and Rachel and Ellen and everyone for lugging all their bottles too, in such heat. Thanks to Mrs. B for her ineluctable grace. That was Japanese poet Ochiisi with her Swimming Noodles.

I'm having flashes about something having to do with marshmallows, but I'm not sure I remember the ice. :rolleyes:

Buxie?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

So, is anyone joining us in da Bronx?

(Sunday) the plan is ... an early dinner in the Bronx. Andy expressed an interest in exploring Arthur Avenue. Unfortunately, most of the shops are closed on Sundays, with the exception of Madonia Bakery & Mt. Carmel Wines. So, it'll probably be just a quick window gazing tour then dinner at Robertos Restaurant. To see Fat Guy's post about Roberto's, Click Here. They are open from 4 -10 PM on Sundays and do not take reservations. Therefore, we are planning on being there when they open. That way we have plenty of time for a leisurely dinner before getting him to JFK for his flight home. If you would like to join us, please RSVP here so we know how big a table to ask for when we arrive.

Edit: So, we're leaving the house in a few minutes. If anyone decides last minute to join us, just meet us there at 4.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Thank you lissome for being a wonderful hostess who invested more time into making her guests happy than into enjoying the evening herself. Your sacrifice has not gone unnoticed. :smile:

Lissome, we brought smoked sable, salmon and sturgeon with bagels and cream cheese so that our Englishman would have a taste of real NY ethnic food. Andy wasn’t quick enough, however. The fish was gone in about 10 minutes.

Suzanne’s humus was spectacular. What can be better than a dish full of fresh and roasted garlic!

I enjoyed meeting those I’d never met, and seeing all my old friends.

It sounds like I missed a fun party, I hope I'll make it to the next gathering.

I got knocked on my butt by a bout of food poisoning. UGGGHHH! I can't even warn you away from a particular place, I just have no idea what happened.

So I missed the Lissome-Andy Lynes do, I missed the Fancy Food Show, I missed a weekend of long-overdue and glorious sunshine.

Pity party over. A brand new week of (more careful) eating begins!

Oh dear, alacarte, hope you're on the mend. What with the hot weather and all, that sort of thing is unfortunately more likely to happen, I fear.

But remember, there's still the Second NYC eGullet Pot Luck Dinnercoming up on Saturday, July 12th. We can't promise any visiting British celebrities, but there should be a great bunch of people. And of food!

Just a holding message to say I'll be reporting on my NY trip in full and fascinating detail, just as soon as I get the 10 important/urgent things completed at work that I should have done last week when I was swanning around Manhatten and New Jersey.