• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Englishman In New York

Andy Lynes

If you can get the price of a beer low enough, I might even buy one for Andy. If worse comes to worse, we can all chip in and buy him a glass of Bud lite so he doesn't leave thinking we're cheap.  :raz:

I WON'T contribute to that. Andy, if they buy you a Bud lite, I'll buy you a Bass.

I thought you were in for a brewski, not Bass. At least make it a new world beer if you're going to go all serious on us.

I'm a girl of tradition.

For what it's worth, I'm on the dive side rather than frou frou.

If you want a serious dive bar go to Subway on 60th across from the Bloomingdale's loading dock.

We walked by this amazing place the other day, and were once again reminded of its existence; it appeared particularly dive-ish against the backdrop of a rainstorm. I think our group might be tough enough to handle it. If Andy meant what he wrote this could be ideal.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

To recap FF style - So far for Thursday evening the following are strong maybes

Andy Lynes

Fat Guy

Elyse

Bux

Jason P

Lissome

Bond Girl

&

anil

if it is n Friday, SobaAddict70 might join.  Did I miss ot anyone else ?

Wasn't Andy also meant to bring Heston? :pout:

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

If it turns out to be Friday, I'm in.

Taking post-drink munchies into consideration, what about the Horseshoe Bar (aka 7B) on 7th and B? Dawgs on Park is next door, Crif Dogs, Habib's and Pommes Frites are a short walk away.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

To recap FF style - So far for Thursday evening the following are strong maybes

Andy Lynes

Fat Guy

Elyse

Bux

Jason P

Lissome

Bond Girl

&

anil

if it is n Friday, SobaAddict70 might join.  Did I miss ot anyone else ?

Wasn't Andy also meant to bring Heston? :pout:

Heston is busy next week, sorry!

Please also invite the Brothers M and Mr. Balic :biggrin: if Heston can't make it, maybe lml would come?

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Why not meet at my place then? I live in China, but can have the cava shipped :biggrin:

-Beaumarchais

So like late afternoon/early evening meet-and-greet/cocktails/snacks/hanging-out at lissome's followed by hardcore dive-bar crawling later for anyone who wants to persist?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

If you want a serious dive bar go to Subway on 60th across from the Bloomingdale's loading dock.

We walked by this amazing place the other day, and were once again reminded of its existence; it appeared particularly dive-ish against the backdrop of a rainstorm. I think our group might be tough enough to handle it. If Andy meant what he wrote this could be ideal.

If it's the place I'm thinking of, we caught the end of a Knicks' playoff game some years back there. It seemed like a friendly place then. I don't recall a great choice in beer though -- maybe just Heinekin and the usual bar beers. We had just finished a meal at a nice restaurant in the area (now closed) and I wasn't having more than one beer anyway.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Here, we have various bbqs, sour cream and onion, ketchup, sour cream and chives, salt and vinegar, salt and pepper, kosher dill pickle (which is giving me migraines), cheddar and sour cream (apparantly, sour cream is popular with us), and I'm drawing a blank. Old Bay. I'll bring you some of that. Pringles has some foul flavors.

No smoky bacon.

No tomato sauce.

No prawn cocktail.

No Worcester sauce.

NO roast chicken. Mmmmmm.

Subway on 60th is a great place! I used to hang out there with my sous chef from Match (he told everybody I was his mother). Not much selection in beers, though.

Other possibilities: Zum Schneider, Avenue C and 7th, for German beers & food (I've not been, but some of the others have, right?); Liquor Store Bar (aka Rat Bar) West Broadway and White (up the street from Montrachet; maybe we could do takeout :laugh: ). If we actually get some good weather, both have outdoors. Puffy's Tavern, across the street from Chanterelle (ditto on the takeout??)

Wherever, I'll try to be in. My deadline is Thursday.

Here, we have various bbqs, sour cream and onion, ketchup, sour cream and chives, salt and vinegar, salt and pepper, kosher dill pickle (which is giving me migraines), cheddar and sour cream (apparantly, sour cream is popular with us), and I'm drawing a blank.  Old Bay.  I'll bring you some of that.  Pringles has some foul flavors.

No smoky bacon.

No tomato sauce.

No prawn cocktail.

No Worcester sauce.

NO roast chicken.  Mmmmmm.

No to all of the above. Except for steak. :smile:

Soba

Here, we have various bbqs, sour cream and onion, ketchup, sour cream and chives, salt and vinegar, salt and pepper, kosher dill pickle (which is giving me migraines), cheddar and sour cream (apparantly, sour cream is popular with us), and I'm drawing a blank.  Old Bay.  I'll bring you some of that.  Pringles has some foul flavors.

No smoky bacon.

No tomato sauce.

No prawn cocktail.

No Worcester sauce.

NO roast chicken.  Mmmmmm.

No to all of the above. Except for steak. :smile:

Soba

No we don't have them, or no you don't want them?

Andy:

Have a great trip!

Thursday is touch and go for me because a friend of mine is coming in from San Francisco and I presume I may be hanging out with him. But especially if you all are going to be in the East Village at some point, I'd be happy to join you if I am free when you're around here.

Michael aka "Pan"

So like late afternoon/early evening meet-and-greet/cocktails/snacks/hanging-out at lissome's followed by hardcore dive-bar crawling later for anyone who wants to persist?

looks as though a case of champagne may be too much? :unsure:

-Beaumarchais