• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian

dinetogo

Olive Garden and Macaroni Grill have branches in all 3 counties, that should hold you for a while.  :smile:

Welcome to egullet. Why don't you tell us some of your favorite Italian places and we'll go from there.

Ooooohhh, David, never realized you had a mean steak. Good job welcoming the virgin. :laugh:

Tommy, congrats on 10,000.

Edited by Lreda (log)

Dinetogo

Your post does not give much detail as to what you like and the those three counties provide a lot of miles to drive

Passaic Cty Lu Nello -- 973-790-1410 (totowa)

Essex Cty Bruschetta -- 973-227- 6164 ( Fairfield)

others that I don't like but plenty of my friends do

Passaic Cty Bertas Chateau -- 973-835-0992 (Wanaque)

Essex Cty Bareli's -- 201-865-0473 (Secaucus)

Essex Cty Il Tulipano -- 973-256-9300 (Cedar Grove)

Bergan Cty Radicchio -- 201-670-7311 (Ridgewood)

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Scalini Fedeli, Chatham got some text here a couple of weeks ago.. some high praise..

Rosie has always raved about Corso 98 in Montclair..

Since traveling on vacations to Italy, we have sworn off Italian-American restaurants, they are always disappointing now, the bar has been set very high.

I think Tommy's talking about this place, but I could be wrong:

Caruso's Tuscan Steak House, 65 Rt 4 W, Paramus (201-556-9111)

There's a thread on it here somewhere...

Couldn't be Caruso's; an example of a non-chain restaurant trying to emulate the chains!!(About as "Tuscan" as Sbarro) Something like a place called Stancato, that finally bit the dust in Tenafly....

Edited by menton1 (log)

I didn't even know that Stancato had closed. I called and indeed their number has been disconnected.

We drive by on Dean Drive regularly and saw it had closed; Went to Stancato about 5 years ago and it was awful-- can't explain how it lasted so long-- A mom & pop resto trying to imitate the chains-- like Caruso's in Paramus, or Cassie's in Englewood. For middle of the road "Red Sauce" Italian, you're better off at Big Red Tomato in Fort Lee, at least it looks lika a Mom & Pop, and they try hard;

The best choice is New American or Ethnic restaurants-- much more reliable in this area.

One of the best Italian restaurants in NJ (or anywhere for that matter) is L'Allegria in Madison. My boss (from Milan Italy) was visiting here a few months ago and he had the gnoochi. He said it tasted like his mother's cooking. I had an excellent veal saltinbocca (sp?). How much better can you get than home cooked taste, moderately sophisticated food in an elegant setting with top notch service. A bit pricey ($75.00 or so per person with wine and no cocktails) so it is a great special occasion place (Of course, it is depending upon on your budget and pocketbook if you think this is expensive).

Going to Bruschetta in Fairfield tonight for dinner because it is consistantly very good and it is close to my office. Service can sometimes be spotty depending on the server but the food is good enough to overcome some of the minor service lapses.

GoodEater!

GoodEater

Vivo per mangiare!

Ooooohhh, David, never realized you had a mean steak.

Lou, I have a mean streak. You serve a mean steak. See the difference? :cool:

Forget Italian. Forget Essex, Bergen, Passaic counties. Just go to Lou's restaurant, An American Grill, and you'll have a great meal.

Lou, how many more posts like this before I get a free meal?

Edited by dbrociner (log)

Went to Bruschetta in Fairfield last night. Coincidentaly, it was reviewed in the Record today and it got three stars (Excellent). IMO this restaurant truly deserves this rating. The food is consistently delicious and approachable. I had a Mediterranean Salad and one of their evening specials- grilled Ahi tuna cook rare. Tuna was definitely sashimi grade and was seared on the outside perfectly-served over seasoned lentils. This was my fifth or six visit and I will be going back.

In my last post about this restaurant I said that the service could be off sometimes; however last night the service was very efficient and very welcoming.

GoodEater

Vivo per mangiare!

Went to Bruschetta in Fairfield last night.  Coincidentaly, it was reviewed in the Record today and it got three stars (Excellent).

Unfortunately, EVERY restaurant reviewed by the Record gets 3 stars, good, bad, or indifferent. Not reliable, but YOUR review was helpful

Lou, how many more posts like this before I get a free meal?

David, The choice is yours: free meal or Giants football with a man who brings a griddle for the top of his grill for breakfast in the parking lot at 8 am, then switches to steaks at 10am with a good meritage.

Think about it.

Lou

Went to Bruschetta in Fairfield last night.  Coincidentaly, it was reviewed in the Record today and it got three stars (Excellent).  IMO this restaurant truly deserves this rating.  The food is consistently delicious and approachable. I had a Mediterranean Salad and one of their evening specials- grilled Ahi tuna cook rare.  Tuna was definitely sashimi grade and was seared on the outside perfectly-served over seasoned  lentils.  This was my fifth or six visit and I will be going back.

In my last post about this restaurant I said that the service could be off sometimes; however last night the service was very efficient and very welcoming.

Bruschetta in Fairfield is good, we get there every few months. It's a very finely tuned place with nice touches (bill is delivered in an old music box, etc). The menu changes frequently and usually has at least one fish on special.

Two doors down, Bacchus Chop House is owned by the same team, it's been discussed here from time to time. I like it. Big steaks and chops, good, deep Italian wine list

Another nice place is Aria on Fairfield Road. It's a BYO, generally available at night (lunch can be a problem on availability). Well chosen menu, watchful service. I usually let them order for me.

Nearby, La Vigna and Bellissimo are in the Signac section of Little Falls, about 5 minutes away. Both are high end Italian / Continental, I prefer Bellissimo.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo