• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods--sushi/sashimi

BON

Sake traditionally is not served with dishes containing rice (including sushi) because it's made from rice. It is served with sashimi and sakana (small dishes, the Japanese equivalent of tapas). Bowing to American custom, most sushi bars in the USA do serve sake, however.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I think it's not so much American custom as it is that American "sushi bars" are usually nandemo-ya that serve everything vaguely Japanese. In Japan this only seems to occur at family restaurants; I rarely saw sushi, tempura, donburimono, soba, udon, hiyayakko, chawanmushi and so on at the same restaurant; in the US it seems commonplace.

I don't think the "not having sake with sushi" is a hard and fast rule though. I was brought to a sushi place kind of hidden off Ginza mostly filled with salarimen, and sake, shochu, and so on was served, and consumed, in the restaurant. Shochu can be made with rice or other grains. The shochu included a sweet potato option (imo-jochu) though. That sushi place was the favorite haunt of the salesperson we were meeting.

I like stuffed grape leaves, and grapes for that matter, when consuming wine. I doubt that a German would turn down a beer when having barley soup or avoid drinking wheat beer and bread together.

If there's a case for avoiding sake and sushi together, it might be the sweet-vinegar taste might obscure the taste of the light dry-sweet sake, rather than the other way around :smile:

Some of my Japanese friends feel sake and sushi are matching, perhaps even because both are made with rice. But maybe they are younger than the people making these rules :raz:

But again, since I'm vegetarian, I don't spend a lot of time in sushi places.

Sake traditionally is not served with dishes containing rice (including sushi) because it's made from rice. It is served with sashimi and sakana (small dishes, the Japanese equivalent of tapas). Bowing to American custom, most sushi bars in the USA do serve sake, however.

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Sushi is the exception to the no-sake-with rice rule. (In fact, the no-sake rule is often extended to all kinds of alcohol, not just sake. Many purists don't drink anything other than tea when rice is served. Sushi being the exception.)

At higher-class sushi restaurants, sake seems to be preferred but beer is perfectly acceptable. At kaitenzushi places, beer is far more popular (often the only choice).

Me, I like both, and I agree with KatieLoeb that sparkling wine is wonderful with sushi. Strictly for at-home sushi though, as I've never seen it offered at a sushi bar here (and as for sparkling riesling I've never seen it anywhere in Japan).

Sigh.

Edited by smallworld (log)

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

I'm so glad you asked this question! I have no expertise in sushi or Japanese food customs, but through my sushi bar travels I've heard that traditionalists look with disfavor on sake with sushi because they're both rice based. I've always wondered if that's really true. Anybody have the definitive word on this?

As opposed to most of the beer you'd be hypothetically drinking at the sushi bar? :raz: Your Sapporos and Kirins and Asahis aren't called "Japanese Rice Lager" for no good reason, to say nothing of American macrobrews! Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Sushi/Sashimi has become one of my favorite things to eat and explore, but I am becoming a bit tired of ordering the same-old fish...tuna, salmon, etc. I know that in Los Angeles and elsewhere nearby my, there are some great sushi bars that I need to try, but before I go, I want some feedback. Are there any "exotic" or "lesser-known" fish or sushi ingredients that you can reccomend?

Some 'new' fish that I haven't tried , but heard of, include sayori (halfbeak), katsuo (bonito), shako (mantis prawns) shima-aji (??), aji (jackfish), and these funky looking orange colored things called 'orange clams' (are they really a clam?)

I'd greatly appreciate some info about these fish, esp about their taste.

Thanks alot!

-Robert

Hmmmn....

Get someone to go with you and just try them! Sushi is (usually) served just two pieces per portion, anyway!

I've never tasted sayori or shako. Katsuo is usually flash-grilled (so it's cooked on the outside but still raw inside) before slicing, and served topped with a bit of ginger and scallions instead of wasabi. Think of it as the "roast beef" of tuna! And yes, those orange clams really are clams.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I can't think of any neta (topping) that is exotic (to me)... Maybe ikura (salmon roe) and uni (sea urchin) are exotic to you.

If you want to go for something weird, how about natto (fermented soybean) rolls?

As for me, I'm an all-time lover of akami (lean tuna). Most people go for toro (fatty tuna), and I think it quite absurd. I'm also a fan of buri (yellowtail) sashimi!

Have you checked out this thread?

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=52518&st=30

See post #36; you can see some great photos of sushi.

Sushi is all about seasons (shun in Japanese), everything in Japan has a season. If you want to eat a food at its best you should eat it during its season.

So the next time you go into a sushi restaurant ask what is in season.

Currently we are in aji (horse mackeral) and katsuo (bonito) season but in another month it will be a good time to ask for suzuki (sea bass) or uni (sea urchin)or shako (mantis shrimp).

Sayori (halfbeak) is a wonderful fish, but it won't taste as good now as it would have tasted a couple months ago. I recommend waiting until next spring.

Don't forget summer is also the best tme to enjoy unagi (eel) and anago (conger eel), also see if you can get some hamo (pike eel).

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

If you can find some in LA, try these sushi

Awabi (Abalone) either steamed or fresh versions depending on the place.

Ama ebi (sweet shrimp)

Shime saba or saba (pickled mackerel) I have yet to see raw saba in sushi in the states.

Tai (Japanese red snapper)

Any fish roe like people have suggested, Ikura (salmon), Tobiko(flying fish roe), Masago (smelt roe).

I also concurr with others on Uni (sea urchin roe).

I have yet to find any sushi bars or restaurants in Southern California with Kampyo maki (stewed gourd roll) even though its usually the cheapest. :sad:

Currently in southern california waters, albacore/white tuna (bin naga or bincho), yellowtail( buri/hamchi) are in season so those would be good for "shun" and Bonito (katsuo) should be making their runs as well.

Now I'm craving some sushi.

• 3 weeks later...

I normally like to sake just by itself and pairing yakitori or other grilled food with shochu. I am against folks pairing sushi with sake. And it really depends what kind of sake??? I think junmai goes well with sushi and sashimi and as for daiginjo, I will drink it by itself.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Last week, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

I decided to throw caution to the wind and let the sushi chef at the Melbourne stalwart establishment, Kenzan, do his magic. A friend of mine is now working there too, as second sushi chef, and i thought it would be good to show some support.

In an after-work beer induced stupor, we ordered some more beer, some sake, and then asked for the omakase experience. I was skeptical, as the sushi platters at Kenzan have always been fresh, good, but never exciting or new.

After 3 hours of non-stop sushi, piece by piece placed in front of us as they came off the chef's hands... I was converted. It was a religious experience to have cuts of fish never usually seen, sushi matched to sake, and condiments not usually present.

The question is, how frequently do Japanese people do this, as in rock up and leave themselves at the mercy of the chef?

Does one always get something new? Like uni and roe? Or amaebi mixed with cod roe?

Why? How? Doesn't matter, it's all good!!

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

The question is, how frequently do Japanese people do this, as in rock up and leave themselves at the mercy of the chef?

The omakase is popular in Japan and not just at sushi restaurants, but at any kind of smallish restaurant where you pretty much have direct contact with the chef.

Some of the small top end sushi places don't even have menus, it is omakase or nothing. On a recent trip (with eGullet member Robin) to Kozasa Sushi we were given a choice of the sushi omakase or sashimi omakase.

In larger restaurants they often have course menus and I find this is essentially the same as the omakase, the menu will list just appetizer, soup, meat dish, fish dish, etc without being specific. Depending on the place the food served will change daily, weekly or even monthly.

How often do the Japanese do it?

Depends on how much money you have..... :biggrin:

Does one always get something new? Like uni and roe? Or amaebi mixed with cod roe?

In Japn it is all about seasonality when it comes to an omakase, you will usually be served on what was the best on that partiular day. :biggrin: So the omakase you had today could have completely different foods a month from now.

Domo arigato Kris!

Now this is freaky, because I posted this yesterday and where did I find myself for dinner?? Back at the sushi bar, staring down the edge of the knife slicing through fish.

The selection was fairly similar to last week, but like you said, seasonality!!

Highlights:

Big eye tuna, a variant of the venerable blue fin, marinated for 10 mins in a thick soy/sesame mix. Secret recipe of the chef's.

Lightly grilled cod roe... "Good with sake"

Amaebi rolled in roe... "Also good with sake"

Salmon belly with spring onion and ginger... lightly seared

Swordfish... scored and brushed with Unagi sauce...

Marinated baby squid... "Very good with sake"

Amaebi sushi... love this, totally absolutely love it... Only the Tuscans come close with their raw scampi, still twitching...

And, i did go off the omakase to order some agedashi tofu and gyu tan shioyaki as well... i love those two dishes, and being the Chinaman that I am, I need something hot to go with the sushi/sashimi and no, the sake doesn't count :biggrin:

But to add another question to the mix:

Does anyone know why some garnishes don't turn up on regular sushi/sashimi orders and only seem to turn up in omakasa?

Like, the spring onion clump on some fishes... the use of sauce and marinades, like with the tuna, which was OISHI!...

why why why?

I don't think I can do regular sushi again after two very successful omakase's. The result of this will be that I won't do it very often, because, yes, it costs!!! For the record, I had 20 pieces of handcrafted gems last night.

I have never ordered omakase in Japan but I think it would be a good way to splurg/celebrate. I have a style question: is it okay to ask the chef for a $100 omakase by saying something like "omakase please, i would like to spend about $100" 万円ぐらいおまかせ下さい ? Or is it one of those things where price is not an issue and even asking/suggesting goes against the spirit of the meal? What is the average price of a sashimi omakase in Japan?

But to add another question to the mix:

Does anyone know why some garnishes don't turn up on regular sushi/sashimi orders and only seem to turn up in omakasa?

Like, the spring onion clump on some fishes... the use of sauce and marinades, like with the tuna, which was OISHI!...

why why why?

Why why why? Why not ask the chef or that friend of yours? :biggrin:

It's easy to imagine that the restaurant wants to impress you with something extra simply because you ordered an omakase course.

I have never ordered omakase in Japan but I think it would be a good way to splurg/celebrate. I have a style question: is it okay to ask the chef for a $100 omakase by saying something like "omakase please, i would like to spend about $100" 万円ぐらいおまかせ下さい ? Or is it one of those things where price is not an issue and even asking/suggesting goes against the spirit of the meal? What is the average price of a sashimi omakase in Japan?

You know that some restaurants already have some omakase courses listed on their menus, which may range from 3,000 to 5,000 or even higher. I think it's perfectly alright to tell the restaurant your budget and ask them if they can serve an omakase course with that budget.

For instance, you could say something like

Hitori xx yen de omakase dekimasuka (Could you do an omakase for xx yen per person?)

Average price of a sashimi omakase? Sashimi only? I don't know. As I mentioned above, omakase courses usually range from 3,000 to 5,000 yen or even higher, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

This list (in English) covers some of the fish currently in season. Some other fish to be on the look out for soon are katsuo (bonito), aji (jack/horse mackeral) and suzuki (sea bass).

Beside seaonality, location is also important. To get the freshest fish sometimes it is best to live close to the source. While anago pulled out of Tokyo Bay can make it to my house quite quickly they may not taste just as fresh after being shipped to the US.

Also remember that just because it is in seaon doesn't mean it is good at ever sushi bar every day. The best thing to do is to ask what the chef recommends. :biggrin:

Eating sushi/sashimi of fish that is in season is always recommended. What is in season right now?  I am not very good with this type of info, so your help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Robert

Since you are in the US Southwest, chances are that any Sushi bar and Sushi Chef you encounter will not be Japanese and will not only not know what is in season but have no idea where the fish he/she is serving came from or when caught.

You need to find a clasically Japanese trained Sushi Chef, not one of the chef's trained for a couple of weeks or months without classical apprentesship(sp?).

Then you stand a chance of asking the Chef what is in season and what is the best. He will then be glad to tell you. -Dick