• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

egullety dinner at Rutt's Hutt

tommy

A bunch of us showed up. We ate lots of hot dogs, fries & onion rings; drank lots of beer & soda. One person had a grilled cheese sandwich, as they were not eating meat. In addition a couple BBQ Pork & Beef sandwiches were ordered and laughed at -- but were eaten anyway. Someone knocked over a table and helped the waitress clean up the mess! :raz: Pictures were taken, I'll deal with posting them tomorrow.

I thought the dogs were OK, but kind of bland. I now know for sure that I prefer the kosher-style all beef garlicky kind of hot dog rather than the mostly pork, bland kind. The relish is very good. I should have bought a jar of that for home.

Urp. :blush:

.....  i'm wearing a blue shirt with a white collar, for what it's worth.
Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

I've got to agree with Tommy (huh?).I was kind of disappointed, but the company was excellent.This had to be the cheapest Eg dinner of all time. $15 including beer.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

A group of us gathered at Rutt's Hutt in Clifron NJ on a rainy Wednesday evening. Those who wish to do so will surely identify themselves in due course.

After introductions, it was agreed waves of food would be brought to the table of 10. Bottles of beer, diet coke, Perrier (!) and a pink lemonade were visible, and a pitcher of Molson beer showed up immediately. The place used juice glasses (5 oz?) for the beer.

First out were plates of french fries. Crisp exterior, slightly moist interiors. VGood, not exceptional. Plates of exceptionally greasy deep fried onion rings followed. I was disappointed, as the rings were nowhere near as crisp as I remembered. Left a memorable pool of grease on the china This was the only food service which was on other than paper.

The Rutt's deal is deep fried hot dogs. Cooked briefly, they crack open (rippers). Cooked a long time, they incinerate and turn a very deep, very dark, color. 'inanouts' are cooked only briefly.

First out were the cremators, deep fried, almost cindery dogs. That's the way they were supposed to be, although the sample of 10 had wide variations from mahogany finish to crimson. Centers were generally pink. The Hot Dog Expert (Good name and it is open) will opine on the exact content, I'm sure. I didn't especially like this dog. Crunchy skin, not much taste inside, no spices or garlic were especially evident.

The rippers came next, along with more fries, onion rings and more beer. Rippers were good. Long hot dog, with various rips stretching about 3/4 of the length of a dog. More of a spice taste, although I'm sure these were the same dogs used in the cremators.

Table condiments included a dusseldorf style mustard with much horseradish. Very sinus clearing. I tasted each dog naked (which delighted the other diners but embarassed the eGulleteeers) and then added mustard. The table relish was exceptional. The mustard, mixed with picle relish and a touch of pineapple, perhaps. Sweet tasting, very fragrant in a tropical sort of way. Rolls were very pedestrian.

Inanouts were not memorable.

My overall verdict was acceptable, but not memorable. Another eGulleteer, who has also visited Rutt's over many years agreed that this was not one of their finer offerings. Damage per member was about $15-20.

Rutt's is a 1940s, early 1950s time warp. I'd argue presentation as two dogs on an Italian or Portuguese roll could be superb. Of course, it wouldn't be Rutt's!

For folks interested in a hot dog caravan, the following could be accomplished in an afternoon.

---Rutt's for a ripper

---Royal Grill in Clifton (2 exits up NJ 21) for a tasting

---Johnny & Hange's in Fairlawn for a Texas weiner (continue up 21, right on Fair Lawn Avenue to 208, west on 208 two exits to J&H)

---Goffle Grill, two exits west on 208 and south on Goffle Road

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Ah - I seem to be hearing echos from my original posts last summer at the start of the thread re: Rutts that inspired the trip - hot dogs not crisp nor bursting with garlicky flavor but the relish is great....I am not alone in my dementia (Glad you all had a good time!)

Ah - I seem to be hearing echos from my original posts last summer at the start of the thread re: Rutts that inspired the trip - hot dogs not crisp nor bursting with garlicky flavor but the relish is great....I am not alone in my dementia (Glad you all had a good time!)

but they weren't mushy. :wink:

i'm seriously baffled by the whole thing. granted, i haven't been to the "dining" area in years. i usually go to the walkup counter. and there is usually a big difference. maybe it was just an off night.

for clarity, the 15-20 a head included a very generous tip, and a silly amount of bud bottles. i think the buds were 2.25 each or something ridiculous. stopping in for lunch at the walkup counter you can expect to drop about 6 bucks for 2 dogs, fries, and a "pepsi large, no ice."

ngatti needs a haircut.

I was there in spirit and thinking of you guys eatin' those mushy dogs. I stopped off at Steve's kosher style deli and had 2 excellent dogs (and a chopped liver sandwich). But... $15 with no tip and no Bud.

I got there late after spending 45 minutes stuck between exits 15 and 16 of the turnpike. :sad:

The dogs were OK, helped by the added mustard and relish. Was not thrilled at one of the managers that grumped at me and told me I couldn't drink a bottle of water I brought in.

I think I still prefer the griddled dogs at the Windmill in Long Branch (Some of the other outlets are less than satisfactory).

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Was not thrilled at one of the managers that grumped at me and told me I couldn't drink a bottle of water I brought in.

you're joking, right? no one said anything about my water. i would have been pissed as well, as they don't even sell bottled water.

A real fun night out! It was great to finally see the faces behind the names. I don't eat out (with the exception of hot dogs) much at all; but I think it's pretty damned cool that people who know about and appreciate great food, including people who are in the restaurant business and some who write about food can get together to enjoy the humble hot dog.

A lot of the enjoyment for me is hearing the different opinions about the same product. Especially one that I haven't tried. I've taken people to Rutt's before. Some hated it. Others now go more than me; they enjoy it so much. I think the main reason that the dogs weren't as good as usual (the general consensus of those that have had them before) is that they weren't as hot or fresh as those that are served right out of the oil at the counter, or handed to the bartender at the bar. Sometimes a pile of dogs sit there waiting for the waitress who may be occupied. I've seen this a few times.

I love the rippers and wellers. But sometimes a weller may be too well done and a ripper may not be done enough. It must be hard to judge them exactly when you are trying to keep up when it's busy. For those trying them for the first time, I would say that they are not as spicy as the all beef. But they are just as flavorfull, even more so, than other dogs of this type. And some people just like their dogs grilled rather than deep fried. Whatever. To each his own.

To Rail Paul, I would also suggest a trip to 3 places in and around Union that are within minutes of each other.

1) Syd's. A long charbroiled beef dog that is one of the best dogs you will ever taste. If you like a grilled beef dog. If I had 2 only have 2 hot dog places I could eat at, it would be this place and Rutt's.

2) The Galloping Hill Inn. A great beef/pork dog cooked on a griddle. Similar to the Windmill, but with much more flavor. Don't get their chili on it. I think that this may account for the low ranking on Holly's site. This dog is considered one of the best in the tri state area. Unique football shaped buns. I prefer this dog to Max's and the Windmill.

3) Charlies Famous. This is an Italian Hot Dog restaurant about a mile down the road from the Galloping Hill Inn. One of the 2 or 3 best in Jersey; hence the world.

Sheri-FB,

Have you tried Boulevard Drinks or Father & Son yet?

John the hot dog guy

First out were the cremators, deep fried, almost cindery dogs. That's the way they were supposed to be, although the sample of 10 had wide variations from mahogany finish to crimson. Centers were generally pink.

Actually, Paul, there was only one cremator ordered the whole evening (unless you ordered some and I didn't notice). 201 ordered one and a few of us shared it. The first order out was just rippers. The cremator was pretty much as described by others above, a hot dog flavored crouton.

Rolls were very pedestrian.

I totally agree with you there, I left about half my bread on the plate.

I got there late after spending 45 minutes stuck between exits 15 and 16 of the turnpike.  :sad:

The dogs were OK, helped by the added mustard and relish.  Was not thrilled at one of the managers that grumped at me and told me I couldn't drink a bottle of water I brought in.

I thought that's what happened to you. There was an overturned truck at exit 16W, coming northbound on the Tpke. Traveling south was smooth sailing.

Funny, tommy managed to keep his bottle of water. :hmmm:

Sometimes a pile of dogs sit there waiting for the waitress who may be occupied. I've seen this a few times.

Yeah, but ours seemed to bring them pretty gosh darn quick, and they were hot, so I don't think that's it. I think she deserved her ridiculous tip for putting up with our bunch. I'm sure she rarely gets more than 15%.

The total seemed about 10 folks. I think I had about 3 rippers. The fries were quite good (Even more so when slathered with the relish) but the onion rings were a tangle of too thin greasy overcooked till the batter started peeling off frazzles. We ate them anyway, no excuse for not having bright eyes and a shiny coat... :wink:

Went to the rest room a little before 9pm, and when I came out it was as if the whole group had bolted in different directions. Taking that as a cue I took my untouched bottle of water and headed back to Exit109, was smooth sailing and I was home 1 minute before the ETA calculated by my GPS unit...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Went to the rest room a little before 9pm, and when I came out it was as if the whole group had bolted in different directions.  Taking that as a cue I took my untouched bottle of water and headed back to Exit109, was smooth sailing and I was home 1 minute before the ETA calculated by my GPS unit...

I figured you'd join us when you were done. We went around to the take-out window (other side of the kitchen) to have our pictures taken. (NOTE to Rachel - pictures?)

The counter manager, another HOT DOG JOHN, joined in the picture. A coupla guys in lots of leather, biker jackets, tatoos, and lots of chain link eyed up our group with interest as they demolished platters of dogs and onion rings.

The take out area is done up in a tasteful yellow tile and linoleum look, with fluorescent lighting to create the proper mood. Drains in the floor allow them to hose down the place and remove food waste, human blood, or stray chain links...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Went to the rest room a little before 9pm, and when I came out it was as if the whole group had bolted in different directions.  Taking that as a cue I took my untouched bottle of water and headed back to Exit109, was smooth sailing and I was home 1 minute before the ETA calculated by my GPS unit...

dude, another egulleter and i went out to the parking lot to round you up for the final pic. but we couldn't find you. i thought you knew to come around to the other side.

i know, i know, you just wanted your water bottley.

Edited by tommy (log)