• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garlic Presses

insalata_pazza

26 minutes ago, weinoo said:

that when driving past Gilroy at harvest time (be it heading north or south), the air was perfumed mightily.

That's putting it mildly and as I remember, it's practically all year long.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I might have a never-used garlic press somewhere. I either chop up fresh garlic with a knife, or smash it up in a granite mortar. We go through several heads of garlic most weeks.

Local organic market often has very good garlic. Grocery store garlic is usually decent. Interrnational market garlic is hit or miss.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 1

I used to have an OXO garlic press and gave it away. That thing was super annoying to clean and it would clog after a clove or two, which would defeat the purpose (ease of use / speed). I find it much faster to process with a knife (trim the root end, smash gently on a cutting board with the flat of a knife to release the clove (and any frustrations I may have), collect all the peeled cloves and then mince as desired). You are going to need a knife to remove the peel anyway, so why not also use it to mince the garlic... that way you can also control the size of the mince (the press tends to transform everything into mush).

Speaking of Gilroy, my local Northgate market sells Gilroy garlic. Nice stuff, just bought some the other day. $1.29 for 3 (small) heads.

Gilroy garlic

• Like 1

10 hours ago, weinoo said:

I'm pretty sure I have that book somewhere...I do remember, and this is quite some time ago, that when driving past Gilroy at harvest time (be it heading north or south), the air was perfumed mightily.

As far as garlic presses go, just a waste of space in a drawer.  Nothing that a sharp knife or a microplane can't handle.

I keep mine out on the kitchen island.  I never thought to put it in a drawer.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

You are all giving  my husband too much credit 😉 I don't let him touch my knives and I welcome the help in the  kitchen, especially when it's a dish I'm pretty sure he'll be able to manage on his own (he would eat this three times a week!!)  so my stealth plan is that he learns how to do more and more of this recipe on his own.  THEN I can come home and have him hand ME a plate of dinner! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I keep mine out on the kitchen island.  I never thought to put it in a drawer.

See - I don't have to worry about that, as I don't own one. And if something is left out, it just attracts vermin Rosie.

23 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

THEN I can come home and have him hand ME a plate of dinner! 

That's been happening for Significant Eater for decades.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Posted (edited)

I usually just whack garlic with the side of my cleaver but when I want it very fine sometimes use this.

IMG_20240507_065455.thumb.jpg.1b14b55df0f4b763a214b4bf66e93dc0.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto