• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wanted: Red Food

indiagirl

Now you've got me utterly distracted from my job. Here's a list of other stuff I thought of:

Radishes

Red Leaf Lettuce salad

Red Onions, roasted

Red Snapper

Red peppers, stuffed

Red skinned Potato salad

Red Grapes

Radicchio

Thai Red Curry sauce

Anything with cranberries

Red Currants

:smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Not to be anal - but Lillet is made from white wine, and is a LOVELY thing to keep in the refrigerator.

Actually there are two Lillets: one white (Blond) and one red (Rouge).

Getting back to red food . . .

Are beets a red food or would you call that color purple? I think it could pass as red. They're delicious roasted and then marinated in vinegar, oil and garlic or made into a nice borscht. When added to risotto they make a dramatic presentation as they do when they're used to make pasta.

Also, is cranberry juice red or would you call that color pink? (Mixed with vodka, of course.)

the tiniest smidge of grated beets will turn anything impossibly red

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Getting back to red food . . .

Are beets a red food or would you call that color purple?  I think it could pass as red.  They're delicious roasted and then marinated in vinegar, oil and garlic or made into a nice borscht.  When added to risotto they make a dramatic presentation as they do when they're used to make pasta.

Also, is cranberry juice red or would you call that color pink?  (Mixed with vodka, of course.)

I'd call beets purple, but cranberies, red. Usually.

Hmm, a Flaming Red Gully - made with Blood Orange or Red Grapefruit Juice?

rachel, what on earth is a flaming red gully? i googled it and got a bunch of literature references to women with flaming red hair. doesn't the world revolve around food?

thanks all, for the education and food suggestions.

beet of some kind will definitely be in the menu. the roasted one sounds delicious. i'm thinking a salad with the roasted beets and pomegranate and lemon juice, perhaps? i'll have to actually start cooking to know if that will work.

or a pomegranate soup

i'm steeping some saffron in milk as we speak so i can add it to the risotto. i'll go shop for lobster tails but am too inexperienced to know for sure that the local fishmonger will have some.

perhaps a delicate tomato chutney to go with the risotto.

the thread has given me so many options.

btw, i think of neither beets nor cranberries as being red but i think they're both in the family.

Not to be anal - but Lillet is made from white wine, and is a LOVELY thing to keep in the refrigerator.

there are both red and white but i prefer the red which also resided in the fridge

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites