• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Mills

gfweb

I had a ton of tomatoes that I was going to make sauce out of and grabbed the food mill (which I had never used).

The product was a homogenized sauce, which I guess is the point, but what a lot of work and a bit of wastage too.  It did filter out the seeds.

Any tips from food mill pros?  Other than the seed extraction I'd rather use a stick blender.

I love my food mill.   Case in point: I make "whole fruit applesauce, simply quartering apples and cooking them down, skin, cores and all.  Then I put the resulting sludge through a food mill, resulting in velvety sauce.    It is amazing how little compostable residue there is.    All the goodness is in the sauce. 

Regarding tomatoes, it depends on one's tolerance for micro bits of skin.    No skin with a food mill.

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.