• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Irish Coffee

liuzhou

This one, from The Kerryman in Chicago. If we're making just one, instead of brewed coffee we'll use a shot of espresso diluted with very hot water (i.e., a short Americano).

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

33 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

You can hold the nutmeg!

I sometimes do, and substitute a light sprinkling of demerara sugar.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Irish coffee is really no big deal to make. Take one cup of good coffee, put in one or two shots of Irish whiskey, flavor to taste with cream and sugar. If you want to get fancy, you can whip the cream before you put it on but it just goes back to being cream when you stir it in. It all depends on whether you want to admire it or drink it. I never heard of putting nutmeg or cinnamon in it. Save that for your cappuccino.

My Irish Coffee is similar to the recipe that @Alex posted above:

15 hours ago, Alex said:

This one, from The Kerryman in Chicago.

I use about half the amount of sugar syrup but I do prefer using a simple syrup over sugar cubes.  And definitely make the syrup with demerara or brown sugar or jaggery or piloncillo over white sugar.

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

If you want to get fancy, you can whip the cream before you put it on but it just goes back to being cream when you stir it in. It all depends on whether you want to admire it or drink it.

For me, whipping the cream properly, as described in @Alex's recipe, so the hot, spiked coffee can be sipped through the cool cream is key to the charm of the drink and I won't be stirring it in, though do stir away if that's your jam!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

On 12/20/2023 at 2:12 PM, liuzhou said:

To my surprise, I couldn't find a topic for this.

Do you have any favourite recipes? I'm planning to make some for Christmas.

I do, but you'll have to make your way to Dublin. 

P. Duggans

25 Parkgate St, Stoneybatter, Dublin 8, D08 XR94, Ireland

The lovely gent behind the bar came and asked what we'd like and when we said we'd like to try an Irish coffee, he said "ahh, we've a couple of virgins do we?" It was one of the most delicious drinks I've had, so good in fact that we had two each and it was only slightly after noon.

Duggans - 1.jpeg

Edited by MaryIsobel
to add photo (log)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I do, but you'll have to make your way to Dublin. 

I would love to visit Dublin again. Spent a lot of time there in my time, but haven't been since 1994. Funnily enough, I never drank Irish coffee there! Too busy with the Guinness, I guess.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I would love to visit Dublin again. Spent a lot of time there in my time, but haven't been since 1994. Funnily enough, I never drank Irish coffee there! Too busy with the Guinness, I guess.

There is no Guiness like a Guiness in Dublin. The pub I mentioned is not too far from the Library of Trinity College. I still have my raggedy Book of Kells bookmark from my visit there. I accidentally left it in a book that I donated to a local thrift shop - when I realized what I had done, I went and looked for my donated book and lo and behold I found it and my bookmark!

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

There is no Guiness like a Guiness in Dublin. The pub I mentioned is not too far from the Library of Trinity College. I still have my raggedy Book of Kells bookmark from my visit there. I accidentally left it in a book that I donated to a local thrift shop - when I realized what I had done, I went and looked for my donated book and lo and behold I found it and my bookmark!

Yes. I know the pub. Not sure if I ever entered its hallowed halls, though.

On 12/21/2023 at 9:36 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

Take one cup of good coffee, put in one or two shots of Irish whiskey, flavor to taste with cream and sugar.

From what I've been reading, it is essential to put the sugar in before the cream or it doesn't float on top. Right?

Somewhat bizarrely, the best Irish coffee I ever had was in a small village in China! How it got there I have no idea. I should have asked.

• 4 weeks later...

The Dead Rabbit Irish Coffee

Along with the Hot Toddy, the Irish Coffee is one of the most famous and beloved hot cocktails. And while it can be found at bars and pubs across the world, the one at New York City’s famed Irish bar The Dead Rabbit is especially celebrated. We reached out to beverage director Aidan Bowie for his secret to this celebrated classic, so you can make it yourself at home.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why hot cocktails aren't more popular. Why doesn't every bar serve them all winter long?

Irish coffee especially is perfect. It's every food group in a single glass: booze, dessert, caffeine, and hot. 

Notes from the underbelly

21 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I don't understand why hot cocktails aren't more popular. Why doesn't every bar serve them all winter long?

Irish coffee especially is perfect. It's every food group in a single glass: booze, dessert, caffeine, and hot. 

i agree. When it's cold outside, I love to have something hot, although not sweet