• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ok! I need to ask, did I ruin these cookies?

Matthew.Taylor

Today I made chocolate chip cookie dough for my mom’s big church meeting next Sunday. I had just added the flour mixture to the butter/sugar, and I noticed that it was a lot dryer than it used to be.

I had forgotten to add the eggs! I quickly added them in as the recipe said to. It looked a lot more like it was supposed to then. I added the chips and put it in the fridge for the next few days. 

But is it ruined? Did adding the eggs at that stage just ruin it?

Bake some off and see. I left out the brown sugar while I was on the phone, so I just mixed it in. The dough was fine. I don’t think it will affect it that much. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RWood said:

Bake some off and see.

I agree. In my limited cookie-baking experience (a good third of it chocolate chip, though), I'd say that creaming the butter and sugar together to start is the most crucial part. I suspect you'll be fine.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I agree. In my limited cookie-baking experience (a good third of it chocolate chip, though), I'd say that creaming the butter and sugar together to start is the most crucial part. I suspect you'll be fine.

That’s the problem. These are Jacque Torres 72 hour cookies. They’re supposed to sit in the fridge for three days before baking, and I always do that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

That’s the problem. These are Jacque Torres 72 hour cookies. They’re supposed to sit in the fridge for three days before baking, and I always do that.

I make this recipe all the time and they can be baked whenever you want. The longer wait time allows for the flour to hydrate more, but there won’t be that much difference and you’ll be able to tell if they are ok to use for your event.

• Like 2