• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Introducing ancient me

Yulsam

Bonjour à tous et toutes,

Born (1950) and raised in Beirut, got my engineering master’s from Stanford in ‘73, lived the first half of my life in Europe and the Middle East, and the second half in Montreal.

I am a curious person who likes to try and learn new things. I started taking apart stuff at a very young age, and always got in trouble because I could not put them back together. Mother bought us a 1960 Encyclopedia Britannica, and it was my favorite reading for many years. Whenever I got interested in something, I would start reading about it, and the next step would be to take courses and pass exams. Over the years I have taken flying lessons, boating lessons, a welding course, several cooking courses, and my last venture was a three day chocolate course last month. Playing with chocolate is my favorite pastime now, and I found the Eztemper topic and learned a lot from it.

I hope i will be able to post and ask questions soon. I am amazed by the amount of knowledge available here.

• Like 9

Welcome to eGullet from a fellow Canadian!  Do you visit the Patisserie au Kouign Amann?  We try to get to the Jean Talon Market several times a year, especially for the vendor who sells Scotch Bonnet peppers.  Impossible to find around here.

Welcome indeed, Yulsam.  Lovely to live in Montreal...I am Montreal born and raised.

However, young man, as to being ancient...you have quite a way to go yet.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, Yulsam said:

Bonjour à tous et toutes,

Born (1950) and raised in Beirut, got my engineering master’s from Stanford in ‘73, lived the first half of my life in Europe and the Middle East, and the second half in Montreal.

I am a curious person who likes to try and learn new things. I started taking apart stuff at a very young age, and always got in trouble because I could not put them back together. Mother bought us a 1960 Encyclopedia Britannica, and it was my favorite reading for many years. Whenever I got interested in something, I would start reading about it, and the next step would be to take courses and pass exams. Over the years I have taken flying lessons, boating lessons, a welding course, several cooking courses, and my last venture was a three day chocolate course last month. Playing with chocolate is my favorite pastime now, and I found the Eztemper topic and learned a lot from it.

I hope i will be able to post and ask questions soon. I am amazed by the amount of knowledge available here.

Out of curiosity - where did you take the 3 day chocolate course?

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. 
@elsied: I’m afraid I’ve never been to that patisserie. It looks interesting, definitely worth a visit. 
@kerry: That was at the Barry Callebaut academy. Btw I learned a lot from your Eztemper topic, more than what I learned there 😏

Is the topic closed now?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yulsam said:

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. 
@elsied: I’m afraid I’ve never been to that patisserie. It looks interesting, definitely worth a visit. 
@kerry: That was at the Barry Callebaut academy. Btw I learned a lot from your Eztemper topic, more than what I learned there 😏

Is the topic closed now?

The EZtemper topic? I don't believe so. You can always PM me if you have questions. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 2:33 PM, Darienne said:

However, young man, as to being ancient...you have quite a way to go yet.  

Compared to some of us, you are a baby. I even have Darienne beat when it comes to age. Welcome to eGullet. I hope that you are ready to jump right in. You will find a really friendly group when you do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2