• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Introducing myself

EQuinn

Hi All,

I stumbled upon this site after googling why my low carb homemade ice cream was rock hard. After perusing the site, I can see there’s a wealth of knowledge here. I had to join. 

I am a decent cook, but not formally trained. I want to learn more about food science (right now around ice cream and sugar substitutes). Trying to eat low carb since I’m borderline diabetic. 

Looking forward to chatting with y’all. 

• Like 4

Hello @EQuinn.  Welcome to eG.  I am a constant home ice cream maker for a husband who lives for ice cream.  And guests who always expect it.  I don't eat it myself having now acquired dairy problems.  Yes, I know I can use other liquid bases and have done so, but first of all I am not a fan of cold foods generally speaking.  I could add that my Mother used a freezer plan back in the dark ages with endless really poor quality ice cream and I learned to despise the stuff.   

My basic ice cream recipe is far from the norm.   @paulraphaelwas my first ice cream mentor on the forum, and although he's gone way beyond me in his methods, I have stuck with a very early one using simply corn starch.  Now I've just recently been gifted with one of the newer refrigerated Cuisinart gelato/ice cream makers although I have quite happily used a basic ICE-100 for many years, having bought it second-hand in my home away from home, Moab, Utah, for $5.  

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Welcome from another ice cream aficionado 🍦

There are numerous discussions on ice cream, recipes, equipment, you will certainly find plenty of lively and friendly advice.  Looking forward to hearing about your favourite recipes and techniques. 💐