• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary School

GastriqueGangster

In a little over a year after I graduate, I will have to make a big decision, should I go to a culinary school? Cooking is one hundred percent what I want to do as my career and purpose, without a doubt. But there is a big decision I need to make on whether or not I should attend culinary school. It's a big debate in the culinary world as a lot of great chefs have said that culinary school is a waste of time and money and you can get the same education just by going to France or New York and working in a high-quality kitchen. While other chefs think it's a necessary step in a young chef's career. I already attend a high school where I am in a culinary program so I do have some sort of culinary education already. I also work in a restaurant where I learn too. And in my free time, all I do is cook or read about cooking. So I already have built some skills and knowledge. It would be a shame for me to go to a culinary school just to find I already know most of what they're teaching and then end up wasting a whole lot of money. 

On the other hand, a culinary school might open new doors for me and allow me to meet new people in the culinary world. Some restaurants might look at an application and choose the guy with a culinary school degree over the guy who just says he's worked in the business for a while. I've been listing the pros and cons of both and right now I think it's best for me to enroll in a culinary school. But does anyone else have opinions on the matter? Also which culinary school is best to go to as well?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GastriqueGangster said:

In a little over a year after I graduate, I will have to make a big decision, should I go to a culinary school?

I would say "most definitely". You may get some information from employers, but to make informed choices and the most of that (and reject the bad advice), you need to learn the basics in detail.

I can't recommend any particular school as you don't say where you are.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

You should go and tour the schools that you are most interested in attending.  You will get different opinions from everyone you ask about the quality of the school/education; look carefully at their placement numbers and where the graduates are going.  If you are on social media, ask the student groups (if you are able to join the group, that is, some are restricted to current students/graduates) what they think, where they have been placed.

Your technical school is giving  you the basics, going to a culinary school will teach you the "why" behind the  methods.  there is a difference between a school like JWU and CIA and the culinary programs at community colleges, programs that teach recreational and semi-pro classes.   You want a serious education, you go to a school serious about their program, that has longevity in the field and lifelong placement opportunities.

Use this time to research scholarships - one of my voke students got enough scholarships so that she paid only $10k for her CIA education.

As someone in a position to hire, I know that a culinary education is no guarantee of skills/proficiency - but I know the curriculum at CIA and JWU and know that JWU grads have an edge in the pastry program, while CIA grads have an edge in baking.  I also know that those students know how to make a pastry cream, they know how to make choux, they know how to assemble an entremet - by working for me, they will hone those skills, learn new tips and trucs and be able to take the next step in building a career.

• Like 1

From what I read ( I have no experience), the jury is still out on Q school. Many in the industry say its valuable but some say it costs too much for a low paying job and you can learn on the job as you go.  There are many examples of successful chefs on both sides.

Lots to read on the internet if you troll around.  If you can afford it without going deep in debt seems to be a big issue.

Edited by gfweb (log)

I'd say no, or not immediately.  Work full time for a few years then see what you still need to learn.

I don't know how much culinary school teaches about the business side, but business is another set of skills and college can also be useful. 

• Like 1

You don't have to go to culinary school if you don't want too but if you don't just remember that you will have to be more choosy and only work at top restaurants to build your skills and resume make sure to stay a good 2 years if possible early on.

I went to a trade school myself and recommend it while also working and doing team and individual culinary competitions. Also there are still many high paying jobs that require degrees even in Culinary. My mentor used to call it 'the law of the lid' that by not getting that degree or degrees you are taking yourself out of certain jobs but do you HAVE to? No certainly not. 

• Like 2

As others have said here, we don't know where you're located, but if there's a good community college culinary/hospitality program within a reasonable distance from you, I'd recommend that route. It's less expensive than a top culinary school (afaik), you'll make contacts, you always can pursue further training, you can hone your skills in English and Business, and if for some reason you find the culinary world isn't for you, you'll already have an Associate's degree. Here in Michigan, the best programs are at  Schoolcraft College, near Detroit, and Grand Rapids CC (I've cooked in their kitchens).

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

You didn't ask, and I realize that many cooks smoke, but if I were hiring and had a choice of candidates, I would not pick the one with a cigarette in his photo.   I can't tell you the improvement in my tasting ability since I quit smoking.    FWIW.

One list showing some comparables. mostly from the business perspective.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

39 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You didn't ask, and I realize that many cooks smoke, but if I were hiring and had a choice of candidates, I would not pick the one with a cigarette in his photo.   I can't tell you the improvement in my tasting ability since I quit smoking.    FWIW.

One list showing some comparables. mostly from the business perspective.

I think you're looking at @GastriqueGangster's avatar - my question is why choose White's pic as an avatar? Is he really someone to aspire to?  School or no?

In any case, one of the advantages of going to a well-known cooking school is the almost certainty of being able to be placed in a good job, be that as a cook in a restaurant or in some other food related position...and there are plenty. 

My school's (Institute of Culinary Education, nee Peter Kump's NY Cooking School) list of alumni shows the breadth of careers various graduates achieved. (Others, like me, realized that restaurant cooking sucks, and moved on).  That's what good about school.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

48 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

For some reason, I don't think the guy with the cigarette in his photo is looking for cooking jobs these days!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Alex said:

but if there's a good community college culinary/hospitality program within a reasonable distance from you, I'd recommend that route.

That's probably about the best advice I've seen here. I've worked with all kinds of chefs, ones that have come through the European style Apprentice programs ones with degrees coming out of their ---, and ones that have come up through the ranks. The ones that I have enjoyed working with most have come up through the ranks but it's a long hard Road and most don't make it that far. If you get a good education to go along with the culinary training, there are a lot of good fields pertaining to food that you can go into.

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

(Others, like me, realized that restaurant cooking sucks, and moved on).

I couldn't have said it better. Burnout is so common in the restaurant business. If I try to list the reasons I could fill the rest of this page. Get yourself a good education along with the training so that you're not a one trick pony and you have something to fall back on when it happens.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3