• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with an Air Fryer

mgaretz

Scrapple cooks up easily in there AF :

IMG_4067.thumb.jpg.26a67a34a90840cbec647893651bb9de.jpg

IMG_3895.thumb.jpg.bbafe75f56a1aae44c1693bc880dd988.jpg

IMG_3897.thumb.jpg.767d2530f3a8a43e3a2aed0a45734e7a.jpg

IMG_3900.thumb.jpg.c9254c3ff19c990c43dcad4bd1a779c6.jpg

Ive used the parchment paper as its easier removing the scrapple this way.

its true the underside is not ss crisp as the top

but still very tasty this way , and Low Fuss.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to bake or roast a swede (what I used to call a turnip), whole, in an air fryer.  Any advice as I don't want to have a go (not used it before) and have it go wrong.

Google has some interesting ideas , for a starter :

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=turups+in+an+air+fryer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

ddd.thumb.jpg.d88d37cdafad3a553d94fb40e1c1a912.jpg

any particular reason you want them whole ?

set the temp for 325 F  and you will get a more ' baked 'effect.

if you are looking for Turnip fryer , AKA french fries , slice them accoundingly

for more surface area and and crisper result.

• 1 month later...

So -- Someone locally (well, a half-hour drive from me) is selling a "rarely used" Instant Vortex Plus, the one with the rotisserie. They're asking $50, so I probably could offer $40. We sort of have the counter space for it, and I hate passing up a bargain, but I'm trying to figure out whether we'd actually use it enough to justify getting it. We usually don't eat frozen convenience foods, except for Amy's pizza. We might occasionally use the rotisserie for a small chicken. We roast vegetables regularly. Our friend who has the same model said she uses hers to toast bagels. (!) Our GE gas stove has an air fryer setting, although of course it's a much bigger space. We also have a full-sized Breville toaster oven but w/o a separate air fryer setting.

Thoughts? Questions?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer