• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with an Air Fryer

mgaretz

On 6/6/2022 at 6:45 AM, ElsieD said:

The sweet potatoes I tried were Alexia straight cut.  I have a few left, barely enough to cover the bottom of the tray.  I'll do those up to see if part of my problem was quantity.

I cooked some of those yesterday, not many more than it took to cover the tray.  I cooked them just to the edge of being over-browned, and they crisped well enough.  I like the flavor of those better than the Alexia crinkle cut.

• Like 1

I did up chicken wings last night with nothing more than salt, pepper and a touch of oil.  I did these at 400F for 20 minutes with a couple of turns.  We thought they were just about perfect.  Nice and brown and crispy.  I had made some Buffalo sauce and even after I sauced them they stayed crispy.  That is a definite winner.  I have tried chicken wings in the BSOA and they never came out crispy, plus they stuck to the basket.  I am now trying to decide what I can air fry for dinner.

I spent a lot of time Thursday looking at air fryer videos.  Those videos are time gobblers but I did enjoy looking at them.  I came across a couple of bloggers who blog about them.  That needs further investigation.:)

Edited by ElsieD (log)

Just cooked a hard "boiled" egg in the air fryer.  I was going to use @Anna N's setting which is 275F for 15 minutes but the fryer I'm using only adjusts the temperature in 10 degree increments.  I set it for 280F for the same 15 minutes which was a couple of minutes too long as the yolk had that band of blue around it.  Sure is a handy way to get a hard "boiled" egg.

52 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Just cooked a hard "boiled" egg in the air fryer.  I was going to use @Anna N's setting which is 275F for 15 minutes but the fryer I'm using only adjusts the temperature in 10 degree increments.  I set it for 280F for the same 15 minutes which was a couple of minutes too long as the yolk had that band of blue around it.  Sure is a handy way to get a hard "boiled" egg.

That is too bad. I have never come across that doing eggs in the air fryer. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

That is too bad. I have never come across that doing eggs in the air fryer. 

It could also be that the problem lies with the egg.  I am lucky enough to get eggs directly from a farmer.  Since they are not sorted by size, I  get a variety of same.  My eggs range from 45 grams to over 80.  I had one that was 93 grams.  A bruiser, that one was.  Once I get my own air fryer (tomorrow Amazon tells me) I will experiment by size.  I am glad you mentioned doing them this way, it is just such a no-brainer.  I really like hard boiled eggs so it's no hardship.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

It could also be that the problem lies with the egg.  I am lucky enough to get eggs directly from a farmer.  Since they are not sorted by size, I  get a variety of same.  My eggs range from 45 grams to over 80.  I had one that was 93 grams.  A bruiser, that one was.  Once I get my own air fryer (tomorrow Amazon tells me) I will experiment by size.  I am glad you mentioned doing them this way, it is just such a no-brainer.  I really like hard boiled eggs so it's no hardship.

To me this is the "when you have a hammer, everything is a nail" syndrome.  

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

I have to politely disagree. If you can hard boil half a dozen eggs without dirtying a single pan I think that’s a win-win!  YMMV. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

If you can hard boil half a dozen eggs without dirtying a single pan I think that’s a win-win!  YMMV. 

While I totally agree with your general concept, I have never dirtied a pan boiling eggs; simply removed eggs, emptied boiling water into the sink and upturned the pan to air dry.    No washing involved.    How does your method vary?

eGullet member #80.

4 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

While I totally agree with your general concept, I have never dirtied a pan boiling eggs; simply removed eggs, emptied boiling water into the sink and upturned the pan to air dry.    No washing involved.    How does your method vary?

No water. 

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Maybe, but I'll have fun doing it.  I need some of that in my life right now.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Lucky you. Our water has become high enough in lime/calcium that we have to put a slug of vinegar in the pan after boiling water. I buy white vinegar by the gallon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Lucky you. Our water has become high enough in lime/calcium that we have to put a slug of vinegar in the pan after boiling water. I buy white vinegar by the gallon.

I don't know if it would work in your case but I had a filter (Culligan)  put on the main water line in my house to remove chlorine and other bits.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

The other thing is that I do not have to deal with boiling water and the dangers it poses. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/10/2022 at 4:20 PM, Anna N said:

I spent my afternoon watching videos about the ninja air fryer oven that @Dejahjust bought. I was astounded to note that the one thing it did not do well was frozen french fries! This is a very different appliance. I was quite fascinated.

Will be interested to see how your chicken wings turn out.  

I didn't have frozen fries but I did have frozen tater tots for supper last night. Spread a layer onto the fry basket and air-fry @400F for 15 minutes with a stir half way thru.
They were crispy. If I wanted them darker, I would spritz with oil.
I will have to pick up some fries and try them out.

Have been looking thru' the cookbook I got and may try a dessert sometime soon.
Kind of nice not heating up the kitchen, and there was no smoke when I did the lamb chops on air fry! The chops were brushed with oil oil and rubbed with salt, chopped fresh rosemary and thyme. First time having lamb with pesto: parsley, mint, garlic, Parmesan cheese, pistachios, lemon juice. Quite good for a change from mint sauce.

829562044_PestoLambChops7543.jpg.c2ca21530a7f9584819fa14752761483.jpg

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

4 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Hoping you will share all your adventures with us.
I just told someone that while I do not wish to own the air fryer you recently acquired I would love to play with it for a bit!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Dejah  at what temperature did you cook your lamb chops and for how lomg?  Also, what cookbook do you have and would you recommend it?

I just wonder if you have looked at the type of air fryer that Dejah got?  It is very different! 

https://www.costco.com/ninja-foodi-9-in-1-digital-air-fry-toaster-oven.product.100735741.html

I think this one or similar. 

Edited by Anna N
To add link. (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Dejah  at what temperature did you cook your lamb chops and for how lomg?  Also, what cookbook do you have and would you recommend it?

I did six 1.5" thick chops @400F for 5 minutes, flipped then another 5 minutes. They weren't quite "done to our specs" with what the recipe suggested: 2 more minutes after the flip.
I ordered THIS book only because it is for the Ninja Foodi Digital Air Fryer Oven. No pretty pictures but lots of recipes from appetizers to desserts to dehydrating. I got it mainly because I was craving rhubarb pie and my oven had died. N o new replacement built in until possibly end of June!

799876117_51GBBTaGr9L._SX384_BO1204203200_.jpg.938c28a2c52dec913149b7f98d00e376.jpg
Apparently there is a newer version available - both my oven and book are from Amazon.ca.
I liked the oven so much after my success with the pie that I had one sent out to my son and family, who just moved to NFLD from Manitoba!

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Lately I have been buying the McCain's fries.  Only take 5 minutes and are quite good.  Not sure if you can find them in Canada.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Lately I have been buying the McCain's fries.  Only take 5 minutes and are quite good.  Not sure if you can find them in Canada.

Yes, but Cavendish fries have been on sale 🙂

• Haha 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

7 hours ago, mgaretz said:

I've been buying McCain products since they've shown up in my local Safeway recently.  I've had the Quick Cook Crinkle Cut fries, Quick Cook Straight Cut fries, Quick Cook Waffle fries, Crinkle Cut Sweet Potato fries, Craft Beer Battered Onion Rings, and Baby Cakes.  That's everything my supermarket carries.  I'd rate each at or near the top of its type except the Baby Cakes. Those are mini-hashbrowns. I put those in the tater tots category and don't like the texture or flavor of them much.  They're not bad. I just prefer other products for that type of  thing.  I'm not a big fan of waffle fries, but I'd still rate McCain the best of those that I've had.