• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beetroot

liuzhou

On 5/17/2021 at 6:05 PM, kayb said:

God help me. I have TRIED to like beets. I've pickled 'em. I've boiled 'em. I've steamed 'em. I've eaten them in salads, in terrines, in all sorts of preparations with meat and sides.

They taste like dirt.

I will note I have not tried to make borscht. I'll give that one good try, then I'm writing beets off.

BTW, I have a child who won't eat purple hulled peas because they taste like dirt. So, I guess we're all different.

I was at check out at our country store when some locals ahead of me started a conversation about beets.   "Taste like dirt!" was the repeated response.    The checker, a possibly 20 year old black woman interjected, "That's not dirt, it's terroir."    I grinned like a jack-o-lantern, thinking to myself there's hope for us yet!   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

I think it is like "bitter" which I enjoy. Yes they taste of the earth.  So many options in the vegetable kingdom.. If you don't like it don't eat it unless you are Scarlett O'Hara

Who knew this about beets (my sister let me know, as I'm having a few issues with my bp meds)...

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/288229

Beetroot contains high levels of dietary nitrate (NO3), which the body converts into biologically active nitrite (NO2) and nitric oxide (NO). In the human body, NO relaxes and dilates blood vessels.

• Thanks 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Who knew this about beets (my sister let me know, as I'm having a few issues with my bp meds)...

Apparently it did not shake the medical profession to its roots. It was published back in 2013. I’d much prefer beetroots to BP meds. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

Apparently it did not shake the medical profession to its roots.

I often find "remedies" which don't offer pharmaceuticals, cause the medical professionals to roll their eyes. With good reason, I suppose.

I'm a week into adding beet powder to daily smoothies; other than the fact the beet flavor is detectable (but not detestable), I'm interested to see if beets, in any form, actually do something to help with blood pressure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

45 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I'm a week into adding beet powder to daily smoothies;

Almost certainly it can do no harm. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Almost certainly it can do no harm. 

Well hopefully his skin won't go pink. When Weight Watchers had carrots as a "free" food I remember the jaundiced effect some ladies sported. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, weinoo said:

My sister (pain in the that she is 😉 ) won't let it go...

Beet Juice Was Better Than a Drug for Lowering Blood Pressure

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

My sister (pain in the that she is 😉 ) won't let it go...

Beet Juice Was Better Than a Drug for Lowering Blood Pressure

I am not your sister. I’m sure she loves you dearly. I’m not even a doctor. I don’t even play one on eG. But I do prefer to consult accredited sources. When I find them I like to bold the weasel words. This paper was published in 2018 but my doctor has not yet suggested beetroot to replace my medications. But I am quite sure the press jumped on it. I remain grateful that unlike grapefruit, beets continue to show up on my menu. 

“This review was able to demonstrate that BRJ supplementation is a cost-effective strategy that might reduce blood pressure in different populations, probably through the nitrate/nitrite/nitric oxide (NO3−/NO2−/NO) pathway and secondary metabolites found in Beta vulgaris. This easily found and cheap dietary intervention could significantly decrease the risk of suffering cardiovascular events and, in doing so, would help to diminish the mortality rate associated to this pathology. Hence, BRJ supplementation should be promoted as a key component of a healthy lifestyle to control blood pressure in healthy and hypertensive individuals. However, several factors related to BRJ intake (e.g., gender, secondary metabolites present in B. vulgaris, etc.) should be studied more deeply.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316347/pdf/biomolecules-08-00134.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am not your sister. I’m sure she loves you dearly. I’m not even a doctor. I don’t even play one on eG. But I do prefer to consult accredited sources.

My sister (and I do love her (and my little sister) dearly), is/was a nurse/midwife, occupational therapist, and a general good egg. Like her kids (my nephews) are really good guys, fairly normal, etc. etc. 

I will be seeing my cardiologist ( a real doctor, though he went to school in Rome, so there's that).

I am interested to hear his take on beets and beet juice and beet powder.  I'm already getting sick of the smoothies with beet powder, and it has only been about 10 days - however, it does appear as if my blood has dropped a few points. 

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 5/25/2021 at 2:17 PM, scubadoo97 said:

Absolutely!

I was just getting ready to post the same

You both are faster than I!

Not sure about the beef (though I will try one day!) but surely the goat cheese - I will also add arugula - the 3 make a wonderful salad, along with some roasted nuts.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, weinoo said:

My sister (and I do love her (and my little sister) dearly), is/was a nurse/midwife, occupational therapist, and a general good egg. Like her kids (my nephews) are really good guys, fairly normal, etc. etc. 

I will be seeing my cardiologist ( a real doctor, though he went to school in Rome, so there's that).

I am interested to hear his take on beets and beet juice and beet powder.  I'm already getting sick of the smoothies with beet powder, and it has only been about 10 days - however, it does appear as if my blood has dropped a few points. 

Purchase some empty capsules and make your own supplements - you may also want to investigate what other vitamins/minerals help increase the bio-availability of the beets.

And stop stressing about scallops and just go meditate ;)

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Not sure about the beef (though I will try one day!) but surely the goat cheese - I will also add arugula - the 3 make a wonderful salad, along with some roasted nuts.

Heavenly with goat cheese and well toasted nuts. Beef does not add anything for me. I like a grassy peppery  olive oil, and oddly (cuz I am odd) both fresh squeezed orange juice and decent balsamic. 

• Like 1

The last time I bought empty caps to fill them on my own (well, maybe with a friend or two), was when I was in college. They were then filled with methaqualone powder. Way more fun than beets. So that won’t be happening, since the dosage would probably have me choking down more capsules than I care to.

Since you seem to be obsessed with how  I cook scallops, I thank you for your concern. 

Edited by weinoo (log)

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Just a little joke to bring some fresh air to our love/hate relationship.  The suggestion was a sound one and sourced from a desire to see any human (including yourself!) well and healthy.

Bonne Chance.

Edited by TicTac (log)

On 5/26/2021 at 3:29 PM, TicTac said:

My mistake, I miss read beef as beet.  Never paired beef and goat cheese 

19 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

My mistake, I miss read beef as beet.  Never paired beef and goat cheese 

No worries.

Though as I consider it, it couldn't be bad (though I would not waste a $40 ribeye on it!).  Tartness/acidity of the goat cheese, especially warmed up, perhaps with herbs added, might cut through the richness and fattiness of the beef nicely.  Who knows (surely someone does!).

On 5/26/2021 at 3:38 PM, weinoo said:

On 5/26/2021 at 3:38 PM, weinoo said:

Do report back.

• Like 1

Had a doctor recommend Niacin (not -no flush) for cholesterol, it's one of the more well researched vitamins seems to be good for blood pressure as well but always do your own research. It has worked well for me. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I found this recipe from the Guardian today interesting, not so much for the chocolate cake, but for the author's use of betroot skin powder made from the skins.

Doing the powder at home would be a pain to me as I usually rub the skins off after roasting. The referenced cake reminds me of Red Velvet cake which over time has used beets rather than food coloring. I associated it with the American South but it has become a thing last years; especially in cupcake form.