• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

19 hours ago, Shelby said:

@Annie_H I've been meaning to thank you again for the good review of the jarred artichokes from Misfits.  They are really good.  I hope they have them next week.

I just drained the last third of a jar and added a bit of good evoo. Roasted on a sheet pan until a bit crisp. Added to a fennel slaw salad. A recent pizza party I did similar for a vegetarian pizza with nicoise olives and cherry tomatoes. Visual, like the second restaurant down from the list...

Eater restaurants Rome 2023.   I. have a three jar back-up in the pantry.

The jalapeños are huge. I use poblanos in place of the green bells. I might stock up, roast and stuff both and freeze for the 4th of July. 

Vital farm eggs 4.50$.  A couple weeks age they were 3.50. My local FreshDirect they are 10$ a dozen.

• Like 2

Not a bad time to stock up on ACVinegar for summer salads. Organic California ac with the mother for 2.59$ is unheard of 32ounces. Colavita red wine vinegar for 2.89$

Misfits has a habit of sending me things I did not order. Not just grabbing something similar human error. Like the organic almond extract. Last box included 4 cans of fancy 'pre-biotic' root beer. I've never purchased any beverages that i recall. Who pays 3$ for a soda. 

Olipop's botanically driven Root Beer marries a classic bite with a creamy sweetness with extracts of sweet birch, smooth-vanilla bean and naturally sourced burdock root. We recommend pairing it with your favorite ice-cream. Each can contains 9g dietary fiber, only 2g of sugar, and just 35 calories.

Another one, good grief, WTF. In a soda?

Filtered Water, Pea Protein, Tomato Paste, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Porcini Mushroom, Sea Salt, Onion Powder, Apple Cider Vinegar, Balsamic Vinegar, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, Mustard Seed, Vinegar, Ginger Root, Coriander, Thyme.

And another is 8.99 retail for a watermelon/peppermint, 12oz. Those price are for a Kardashian or Goop pantry. 

Box before they sent ColavitaBalsamic. I did not order any vinegar having a red wine one back-up in the pantry. Don't care for balsamic. The 90's ruined it for me. 

Oooh. Misfits has dandelion greens. Looks like the cultivated Italian variety. I grow it every year. Seed from Seeds of Italy. Spicy like arugula. A more upright large leaf. Not the small spread tiny mound you find in your lawn. And fresh guavas. 

Crisper drawer rich at the moment. But planning a road trip next Thursday for 10 days to the mountains. Food desert. I'll order both Misfits and FreshDirect. We don't eat out or want to grocery shop. Settle in and not get in a car for days. Takes some minor planning but worth it. 

The little 2 1/4 pound Mary's chickens are excellent. We had one last weekend. I'll get a few for the barn freezer. Thaw quick, cook quick. 

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 2

OK, I have signed up for Misfits to give them another try. Wasn't pleased with my second try with Imperfect and I know they are same ownership now so I don't know that I'll be much happier but I see what you all get and just have to try again.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

Uh, oh, lol. I do hope your distribution center has improved. 

I started an order this morning. It will be three weeks since my last. Roasting another baby Mary's chicken today with a tray of mixed vegetables. I'm out of eggs, avocados, leeks, etc. Making a big master stock tonight to use some saved scraps. 

DH stopped for eggs this morning but could not pay 12$ a dozen regular ol' eggs. We can wait. Misfits VitalFarms pasture raised are 9$ for 2 dozen. 

Stocking up on snacking cheeses--six varieties. A couple more Chickens, artichokes, lots of greens and veg. It will be two boxes but one shipping fee so 4$ per box. Why I order every 3-4 weeks. (as I've said before)

OK, my first order from this new try with Misfits has arrived. I was pleased it arrived early in the day. It was delivered by Imperfect. 

Packed much better than previous go-rounds with them. Produce stayed intact and not battered. Meats are still frozen. 

I purposely ordered a variety to see how they did with it. If they continue like this, I'll stick with them. Total for this order was roughly $70 and I got free delivery.IMG_4596.thumb.jpeg.2a189bc79932c8f9f6ef99063f4848cb.jpegIMG_4592.thumb.jpeg.dead9c63bba05add4b3cfd06d7f9544d.jpegIMG_4594.thumb.jpeg.662e855453c0fb08c02e7cf6e765a4e2.jpegIMG_4595.thumb.jpeg.15570bac795f03a9cc2da3d739d0291d.jpeg

• Like 4

Deb

Liberty, MO

I'm impressed that some of you are having success with Misfits and/or other delivery services. I still strongly prefer grocery shopping for myself, but if I had mobility problems or needed to stay home for some reason, I'd be looking to this topic for inspiration and guidance. It looks like Misfits is getting the kinks worked out.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

That looks good. Mine came yesterday morning. 

Warning--I like bitter greens but the dandelion greens are very bitter. I read to soak in cold water 20 minutes, then simmer for 10 minutes, and sauté. I usually pick my garden grown much younger. I also read the milky long stems are a bit toxic. Not the ribs in the leaves. Need to read a bit more on that.

We love the lacinato kale. I usually buy two bunches but still have a bunch from last order. A very sturdy meaty green that last a long time in the crisper. 

I put away my cold pack with all the cheeses, butter, eggs. 4 packages of lamb/hatch chili tamales. CypresGrove 'LambChopper'. Two 8 ounce packages at 5.99 each. A high end cheese that is usually 30$ a pound at a good cheese shop.

Always one disappointment. I was looking forward to the guavas. I tried one of the most ripe. Meh. Skins are edible. But the seeds are hard, not crunchy. Maybe others in the box will be better. I'll try them in a salad with mango, grapefruit and fennel. about guavas link

Looks like mine were picked ripe. That is said to be a good thing. 

IMG_5968.jpeg

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 3

I forgot to mention that I had them put me on a la carte ordering instead of pre-packed boxes. I was able to go in and shop at will, so didn't have all the issues with everything I wanted being sold out within 5 minutes of my appointed shopping time.

• Like 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

I made the dandelions and collards yesterday. I did cut a few inches off the bottom of the dandelions--they are huge! I pre-cooked them, drained well and sauteed in EVOO with s/p, finished with a drizzle of agrodulce (Trader Joe's) and a sprinkle of Penzey's air-dried shallots. They were really good!! I wish I had more!! If they still have them when I order this time, I will get a couple of bunches instead of just one.

We had this with Rancho Gordo Marcella beans and the boneless thick pork chops from Misfits, which were also very good. I over cooked them slightly, but they were still very good. I'd order them again, too.

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

I got a Misfits this week, but wasn't the one who received it at the house and it was all stowed when I got home, so I didn't take pics.   Broccoli, zucchini, celery, fresh shitakes, button mushrooms, a bunch of the Roth cheeses (goudas), sharp cheddar, triple creme, goat cheese, pears, apples, a bunch of bags of flavored Uglies and Kettle potato chips, etc...

About $113.  I share with a couple different households, so this order will get shared around.  The only condition issue was one of the pears had a bad spot.  I trimmed it  and we ate it with cheese and crackers.  

Still not sure if I will keep Misfits as a going concern because where I live I we are thick with grocery stores on pretty much every major intersection.  But I tried it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A misfits new cheese offering happy to try. A HumboltFog made in Holland. LambChopper. Mild but nutty and a bit sweet and a good melter. Firm enough for grating. We prefer strong cheeses but this was nice on an open faced sandwich--braised BoSaam pork shoulder last weekend.

I ordered four 8oz packages. 2pounds at 12.50 a pound. 30$ a pound on their website and elsewhere. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 1.59.06 PM.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 2

I didn't take pix as I  was in a hurry, but had issues again with Misfits. Pork chops were completely defrosted and apparently had a puncture in the package because the cold bag was full of meat juices. There was also a package of goat cheese in it. Yuck! And for the second time, the ice pack had a hole in it, so everything in the cold bag was covered in the gel that had melted. What a mess. I have really been enjoying what I get, but not sure it is worth the hassle. I reported the issue, but have not heard back from them yet.

• Sad 4

Deb

Liberty, MO

40 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

I didn't take pix as I  was in a hurry, but had issues again with Misfits. Pork chops were completely defrosted and apparently had a puncture in the package because the cold bag was full of meat juices. There was also a package of goat cheese in it. Yuck! And for the second time, the ice pack had a hole in it, so everything in the cold bag was covered in the gel that had melted. What a mess. I have really been enjoying what I get, but not sure it is worth the hassle. I reported the issue, but have not heard back from them yet.

You should be able to pull up your order--I use my iPhone so on your computer it might be slightly different--I go to Orders and then click on the order with the problem.  On top of the order then is a Report Issue button so I click that.  Then you can choose the item (s) with the problem and you immediately get a credit back on that item.  You can either get a refund to your credit card or a store credit towards your next order.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I've never had an issue getting credit for a mistake, but one thing I've noticed is that I don't think either service advertises their meat as frozen. It is, of course, but I've always wondered if they were avoiding making a guarantee that it be delivered without partially thawing.

On 4/29/2023 at 7:46 AM, Maison Rustique said:

I made the dandelions and collards yesterday. I did cut a few inches off the bottom of the dandelions--they are huge! I pre-cooked them, drained well and sauteed in EVOO with s/p, finished with a drizzle of agrodulce (Trader Joe's) and a sprinkle of Penzey's air-dried shallots. They were really good!! I wish I had more!! If they still have them when I order this time, I will get a couple of bunches instead of just one.

We had this with Rancho Gordo Marcella beans and the boneless thick pork chops from Misfits, which were also very good. I over cooked them slightly, but they were still very good. I'd order them again, too.

I love those Niman Ranch boneless chops. I put them straight from frozen into the SV, let them swim at 140F for maybe 3-4 hours, then season and throw on the grill. Hard to beat.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, kayb said:

I love those Niman Ranch boneless chops. I put them straight from frozen into the SV, let them swim at 140F for maybe 3-4 hours, then season and throw on the grill. Hard to beat.

Yes, we really like them--when they arrive safely. Sigh.

Deb

Liberty, MO

Do you temp them?. Mine came fridge cold on ice. 30ºF. 

Couple years ago I had a cold pack leak all over my vegetables. Avocados, limes, lemons, etc washed off. I tossed loose vegetables. They credited the entire box. 

Recently a few eggs smashed in shipping. Gross all over my cold-pack cheeses. Cryovac'd cheeses I washed off. Sealed. I see it as 8 eggs free and my time/effort at the sink to wash. 

New cheeses I've not tried yet. Spruce bark wrapped from Vermont. Habanero Cheddar I had last night for a snack with crackers. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 3.09.22 PM.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Do you temp them?. Mine came fridge cold on ice. 30ºF. 

Couple years ago I had a cold pack leak all over my vegetables. Avocados, limes, lemons, etc washed off. I tossed loose vegetables. They credited the entire box. 

Recently a few eggs smashed in shipping. Gross all over my cold-pack cheeses. Cryovac'd cheeses I washed off. Sealed. I see it as 8 eggs free and my time/effort at the sink to wash. 

New cheeses I've not tried yet. Spruce bark wrapped from Vermont. Habanero Cheddar I had last night for a snack with crackers. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 3.09.22 PM.png

I LOVE HARBISON!  My favorite all time.  I hope they have it when I shop tomorrow.  Do you remember how much it was?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shelby said:

I LOVE HARBISON!  My favorite all time.  I hope they have it when I shop tomorrow.  Do you remember how much it was?

13.50 for the larger 9oz. So about 25$ a pound compared to the usual 40$.

• Thanks 1