• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rasmus

Book on plating?

I am looking for a "food plating bible" - a book with a lot of good tips and photos for how to plate food. Any advice?

• Like 2

I tried to find the same things but ended up just googling images of food and seeing how others plate it. 

E.g., if I'm serving short ribs, I would google image Thomas Keller short ribs or maybe "fine dining short ribs" and get ideas and try to plate my own dish in a similar way that makes sense 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I view Pinterest..  too

But would love a few referance too

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

On 12/11/2019 at 11:59 AM, Rasmus said:

I am looking for a "food plating bible" - a book with a lot of good tips and photos for how to plate food. Any advice?

In French, English, Italian, Spanish and Romanian on PDF:

Visions Gourmandes

Author & Photographer:  Philippe Germain.

Website Book Shop:  www.visionsgourmandes.com

Photo Courtesy:  Philippe Germain´s Permission and Beyond Taste - Oltre il Gusto Magazine. 

Translation & Editorial for the English Edition:  Alexandria M. Cintrano - Name credited.  

ADVERTBOOKVISIONS14196088_1350921311603382_4570286737235118640_o.jpg

• Like 2

TDEV, 

Great book on Pdf in 5 languages. 

The illustrations and instructions are clear and easy to follow with a list of ingredients and how to´s.

The photography is awesome ..

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend.

• Like 1

@Beyond Taste, I have been reading the webpages in French. Makes them even more interesting! 🙂

• Like 1

Great leads.   But do remember that food and plating have trends like everything else.    Taste and expectations change.    But expressing what is personally pleasing, combining old and new, serving in your own style will always be beautiful and well received. 

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

It seems that plating for photography and for eating are a bit different.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

Plating for restaurants and plating at home are a bit different too !  

However, the book provides NOT only amazing photography, however,  illustrations for constructing the dressage, the ingredients needed (not recipes)  and of course, one has a guideline to interpret their own individual likes, and  to present a beautiful plate or dish or dessert .. 

Have  a nice weekend.

7 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Great leads.   But do remember that food and plating have trends like everything else.    Taste and expectations change.    But expressing what is personally pleasing, combining old and new, serving in your own style will always be beautiful and well received. 

Like fashion,  the art of plating, interior design, color schemes, product design, enological trends and decorative design, all have their tendancies.  

However, an elegant plate regardless of where it is made and served (home or restaurant)   is an elegant plate whether classical or vanguard, Michelin or non Michelin.

The majority of high end signature chefs,  stage under Michelin Star Chefs to watch, to practice and to learn.  

Home gourmets, who have a knack for plating up,  usually watch T.V. Chefs !  

7 hours ago, TdeV said:

@Beyond Taste, I have been reading the webpages in French. Makes them even more interesting! 🙂

Bonjour, 

This is wonderful .. ( Vraiment le goût de l´exception extraordinaire ! ) 

Enjoy the website !  Have a nice weekend.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Beyond Taste said:

Like fashion,  the art of plating, interior design, color schemes, product design, enological trends and decorative design, all have their tendancies.  

However, an elegant plate regardless of where it is made and served (home or restaurant)   is an elegant plate whether classical or vanguard, Michelin or non Michelin.

The majority of high end signature chefs,  stage under Michelin Star Chefs to watch, to practice and to learn.  

Home gourmets, who have a knack for plating up,  usually watch T.V. Chefs !  

You describe the difference between fashion and style.

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

7 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You describe the difference between fashion and style.

Margaret, 

Chefs and Home Gourmets:   

In my opinion, fashion is the relationship to the external (clothing, food, architecture, interiors etcetra).  

We are discussing Chefs or Home Gourmets;  the products or raw materials and what pairs with which ingredients.

In my point of view,  style is the internal, the chef´s  sense of self, their perceptions, expression and reflections 

of how, why, when, which or what they shall do with the external ..  The Creative side coupled with the measured side.  

Have a nice weekend.  

Cooking and plating are very different talents.

A great chef may not be able to plate well.

An artistic plating designer may be a lousy cook.

dcarch

• Like 1

Plenty of room for both!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 1:51 AM, dcarch said:

Cooking and plating are very different talents.

A great chef may not be able to plate well.

An artistic plating designer may be a lousy cook.

dcarch

Yes, this is quite true.  This is also why many top chefs have a team whom excel in the art of plate dressage.  The mentor - mentee sharing of skills and expertise.  

On 7/12/2020 at 2:00 AM, TdeV said:

Plenty of room for both!

Definitely.

On 7/10/2020 at 7:03 PM, gfweb said:

For eating you need to work a lot quicker, no? Fussy plating in a restaurant always makes me nervous. I wonder how long anyone spent breathing over my food, to say nothing of it arriving less than hot. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Most commercial food photography is faked. Dishes are only half cooked; sometimes painted; propped up by hidden struts etc. Then there is the post-processing including Photoshop etc.

Creative plating and commercial food photography are two different things.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I like to look at the presentations in Art Culinaire. The photography is great, the style is "current", and it makes me hungry.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 5:07 PM, dans said:

I like to look at the presentations in Art Culinaire. The photography is great, the style is "current", and it makes me hungry.

I just subscribed for a year. Thanks for the rec. Looks great.