• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Warming Shelves/Plates

Laurentius

Cold plates suck.  I didn't fully appreciate how bad the suckage was until I put my wood cookstove into mothballs and thereby lost its upper warming cabinets.

I hate using the oven for this and refuse to use the microwave.

Then yesterday at Costco, I saw this:  https://www.costco.com/chefman-electric-warming-tray-with-adjustable-temperature-control.product.4000228132.html

What do other people use to warm plates and plated foods?

I regularly use my little Cuisinart CSO combi oven to warm plates. The warming function offers a range of temps starting at 125°F and can handle as many empty plates or pasta bowls as I have dining chairs. Wouldn’t work for multiple platters or plates full of food.  I've used the bread proofing setting (~100°F) on one of my double wall ovens to keep platters of food from getting cold. 
I inherited my grandmother’s dishes and love that a lot of the crazing in the glaze is from her habit of putting the plates in the oven to make sure cold plates wouldn’t chill the food!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2023 at 8:29 AM, Laurentius said:

Cold plates suck.  I didn't fully appreciate how bad the suckage was until I put my wood cookstove into mothballs and thereby lost its upper warming cabinets.

I hate using the oven for this and refuse to use the microwave.

Then yesterday at Costco, I saw this:  https://www.costco.com/chefman-electric-warming-tray-with-adjustable-temperature-control.product.4000228132.html

What do other people use to warm plates and plated foods?

I use ovan.

Edit: I tried microwave and I didn't like it.

Edited by CorineMoulton (log)