• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Book on plating?

Rasmus

I know that these exists:

Bendersky Ari - "1,000 Food Art & Styling Ideas"

Denbury Jo - "Food Presenting Secrets: Creative Styling Techniques"

Styler Christopher - "Working the Plate: The Art of Food Presentation"

But I never had the chance to give them a look, so I don't know if they are any good.

Teo

• Like 3

Teo

I tried to find the same things but ended up just googling images of food and seeing how others plate it. 

E.g., if I'm serving short ribs, I would google image Thomas Keller short ribs or maybe "fine dining short ribs" and get ideas and try to plate my own dish in a similar way that makes sense 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Most commercial food photography is faked. Dishes are only half cooked; sometimes painted; propped up by hidden struts etc. Then there is the post-processing including Photoshop etc.

Creative plating and commercial food photography are two different things.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 5:07 PM, dans said:

I like to look at the presentations in Art Culinaire. The photography is great, the style is "current", and it makes me hungry.

Got my first issue. It’s incredible. Hardcover. A ton of recipes. In grams! Blew me away. Can’t believe I’m getting 4 issues for $68. They are literally cookbooks!