• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream!

lindag

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Rose Levy Beranbaum's mango recipe calls for:

Alphonso mango pulp, preferably Ratna brand  333 grams

cornstarch  9 grams

milk  121 grams

heavy cream  348 grams

sugar 150 grams

glucose or reduced corn syrup  63 grams

fine sea salt  a pinch

large egg yolks  112 grams (6-9 yolks)

pure vanilla extract  1/2 teaspoon

freshly ground cardamom to taste (optional)

Yes!!!  Thank you so much.  Now to find the mango. I will check out the Indian stores around here.  There are a bunch of them.  Thank you again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jandreas said:

Have you tried making it yet?  With all the eggs in the recipe, it really came out tasting like it was made from Canistel (fruit) and not so much a Mango.

Did you use the mango pulp brand called for?

9 minutes ago, jandreas said:

yes...

IMG_4131.jpg

Well, I haven't made it yet.  As you can see, I just now got the ingredient list.  I have never heard of canistel fruit, so I looked it up.  The bit I read said it sort of tastes like peach.

35 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Well, I haven't made it yet.  As you can see, I just now got the ingredient list.  I have never heard of canistel fruit, so I looked it up.  The bit I read said it sort of tastes like peach.

I meant to quote JoNorvelle as she was the one that posted the recipe, but didn't and then your post snuck in before mine.  The canistel fruit is also known as an "Egg fruit" and doesn't taste anything like a peach.  More like an eggy mango.  :)

Using 17 grams less fat (35% versus 40%) won't make any difference to these recipes.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jandreas said:

I meant to quote JoNorvelle as she was the one that posted the recipe, but didn't and then your post snuck in before mine.  The canistel fruit is also known as an "Egg fruit" and doesn't taste anything like a peach.  More like an eggy mango.  :)

Using 17 grams less fat (35% versus 40%) won't make any difference to these recipes.   

Rose suggests that one can add butter, but personally I would not bother.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

• 2 months later...

Ooooh...

IMG_2710.jpeg.c89a96ec573c12ef97befd692749eafc.jpeg

Arrived yesterday.  

146050115_WhynterIceCreamMachine.jpeg.936ace9bf852565533679e2d60f9d1c1.jpeg

Unboxed, cleaned, and ready for action. (Keeping my fingers crossed). I've gifted my now 16-year old Lello 4070 Gelato Junior to an old friend.

• Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Our first spin together...

E24A2167-D8C4-4973-BB7D-B84121018A2A.thumb.jpeg.8545d42594d8f73f5b41befdcbc8bdcb.jpeg

I’m a simple vanilla, Philadelphia-style ice cream guy.  

The Whynter spins fast...I mean the dasher spins so much faster than my old Lello Gelato junior.  Makes sense, I guess. Good ice cream, no crystals.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If I had a blender I'd give her pumpkin recipe a try.

I wouldn't sweat the blender part, just use the beater (when the mixture is thick), then whisk (when it gets thinner), on your stand mixer.  Personally I wouldn't sweat adding the pumpkin either. I would just make a normal vanilla base (maybe using brown sugar instead of white - but then I hate un-clumping brown sugar so I would actually just add a touch of molasses to the white sugar), then add the spices and some yellow and red food coloring (to get orange). The spices are the key to pumpkin pie flavor, not the pumpkin.   And as Chris points out, this will freeze hard.  I always use a tbs (per pint of mix) of food grade, plant-based glycerin to keep that from happening.  It's nature's antifreeze!

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

9 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

it's not quite ice cream season here

When is ice cream season?

Russia is or was the largest consumer of ice cream in the world and mostly eats it in winter. The vendors set up stalls by the roadside with huge block of icecream, but no refrigeration other than that supplied by nature.  I remember buying ice cream in Moscow when it was -18°C (just under O°F) . It was wonderful.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

When is ice cream season?

Year-round!  I personally love ice cream in the winter...and if going out for ice cream to a favorite place (Il Lab, say, back before the confinement), it's way less crowded in the winter!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Year-round!  I personally love ice cream in the winter...and if going out for ice cream to a favorite place (Il Lab, say, back before the confinement), it's way less crowded in the winter!

Not in any Russian equivalent.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Some winters ago I picked up a State sponsored pamphlet at the state park about a mile from here.  The state says to eat ice cream to stay warm in the cold.  This is New Jersey, I'm sure someone in the park service was paid off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

So....I finally got my act together and made Rose Levy Beranbaum's mango ice cream.  It time I ever used cornstarch and glucose.  It's delicious.

20201222_140040.jpg

Did you find the mango brand she calls for?

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Did you find the mango brand she calls for?

No, I couldn't find it anywhere.  The brand I got was Ashoka from India.  It is from Alphonso mangos.  I wondered if I could buy ripe Ataulfo mangos and make the pulp myself?  I could blitz it in the Vitamix and strain any bits out.  Any thoughts on that?  BTW the texture of this ice cream is lovely.  Almost enough to make me want to go out and buy the book.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

No, I couldn't find it anywhere.  The brand I got was Ashoka from India.  It is from Alphonso mangos.  I wondered if I could buy ripe Ataulfo mangos and make the pulp myself?  I could blitz it in the Vitamix and strain any bits out.  Any thoughts on that?  BTW the texture of this ice cream is lovely.  Almost enough to make me want to go out and buy the book.

I have no experience with mango pulp but you should try her chocolate!  Now that I have a blender I am hoping to make pumpkin this weekend.