• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eglies

Cleaning chocolate from floor

Hi there, Anyone use any specific equipment or product to clean chocolate from floors? 

6 hours ago, eglies said:

Hi there, Anyone use any specific equipment or product to clean chocolate from floors? 

I'd have to get to it before the dog did.

If it is tempered, I just wait until it sets up and then I scrape it off. If it is untempered, I wipe it up with a sponge or towel. Thankfully all small spills, so not much to clean up. One shop that I visited made a floor scrapper tool by attaching a metal scraper to the end of a broom handle; thought that was rather clever.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

Heat gun and tons of scrubbing. 

Alternatively, a floor steamer. 

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Heat gun or steam cleaner.

How much water does a steam cleaner put out?  I have a concrete kitchen floor so the tempered bits are easy enough to scrape up but there's still traces of chocolate.  I've been wondering if a steam cleaner would be practical.  There is one floor drain, a steam cleaner and a squeegee sounds easier than scrubbing and mopping.

12 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

How much water does a steam cleaner put out?  I have a concrete kitchen floor so the tempered bits are easy enough to scrape up but there's still traces of chocolate.  I've been wondering if a steam cleaner would be practical.  There is one floor drain, a steam cleaner and a squeegee sounds easier than scrubbing and mopping.

Very little - all wipeupable.

• Like 1

I don't worry about my floor till it gets slippery.  That being said I've tried scraping and it doesn't seem to help much.  I suspect heat gun and paper towels are the way to go.

• Like 1

How much chocolate?

We have a chocolate scraper on a mop handle for unavoidable drips and drops. Anymore than that, then the person that spills will have to get on hands and knees with a heat gun and towels.

• Like 2

• Similar Content

• By BVWells
      I was just wondering what PSI you all generally use for your compressors for molded bonbons? I'm sure the effect you're trying to get influences how high or low you run the compressor, but to just get a general nice even coat, what PSI do you all recommend?
    • By sarita020
      My name is Silvia,and I love cacao transformation, and always willing  to learn new ways to do it. www.nomnomcacao.com
    • By Linh N.
      Hello. Thank you for allowing me to join. I am from the sunny Florida. I just started venturing into the chocolate world and am loving it. I am in awe of all the mold chocolate creations and want to be able to make decent pieces. Beside that I also love making macarons. I hope to learn more from all the experts in here. Thank you
    • By kimmiq
      Hi all, hope your holiday season is going well!!  Any idea why sometimes the defect on the bottom happens?  The one on the top came out of the same batch. Thanks in advance!

• By hvea
      Hello,

I have two questions about using alcohol for cleaning the mold and brush splattering/spraying the metallic dusts.

Some of my potential customers are asking for non alcohol chocolates (not just the ingredient but I also shouldn’t use it at any stage) (i know the alcohol completely evaporates but thats not something I can convince them)

1) I have been taught to use alcohol to clean molds. Is there an alternative for this?

2) I have been checking savour online classes. In one of the lessons (chocolate crunch bar) Kirsten Tibbals mix the dust with the alcohol and then splatter it with brush.

is it possible to use cocoa butter / dust mixture and splatter or spray it? what would be the difference?

Thanks!