• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning chocolate from floor

eglies

If it is tempered, I just wait until it sets up and then I scrape it off. If it is untempered, I wipe it up with a sponge or towel. Thankfully all small spills, so not much to clean up. One shop that I visited made a floor scrapper tool by attaching a metal scraper to the end of a broom handle; thought that was rather clever.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

Heat gun and tons of scrubbing. 

Alternatively, a floor steamer. 

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Heat gun or steam cleaner.

How much water does a steam cleaner put out?  I have a concrete kitchen floor so the tempered bits are easy enough to scrape up but there's still traces of chocolate.  I've been wondering if a steam cleaner would be practical.  There is one floor drain, a steam cleaner and a squeegee sounds easier than scrubbing and mopping.

12 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

How much water does a steam cleaner put out?  I have a concrete kitchen floor so the tempered bits are easy enough to scrape up but there's still traces of chocolate.  I've been wondering if a steam cleaner would be practical.  There is one floor drain, a steam cleaner and a squeegee sounds easier than scrubbing and mopping.

Very little - all wipeupable.

• Like 1

I don't worry about my floor till it gets slippery.  That being said I've tried scraping and it doesn't seem to help much.  I suspect heat gun and paper towels are the way to go.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 2/9/2019 at 11:15 PM, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I'm just curious--how did this happen?

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

In my chocolate lab - it's just clumsiness!