• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eglies

Cleaning chocolate from floor

Hi there, Anyone use any specific equipment or product to clean chocolate from floors? 

A scraper AND elbow grease AND warm soapy water.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eglies said:

Hi there, Anyone use any specific equipment or product to clean chocolate from floors? 

I'd have to get to it before the dog did.

If it is tempered, I just wait until it sets up and then I scrape it off. If it is untempered, I wipe it up with a sponge or towel. Thankfully all small spills, so not much to clean up. One shop that I visited made a floor scrapper tool by attaching a metal scraper to the end of a broom handle; thought that was rather clever.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

Heat gun and tons of scrubbing. 

Alternatively, a floor steamer. 

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Heat gun or steam cleaner.

How much water does a steam cleaner put out?  I have a concrete kitchen floor so the tempered bits are easy enough to scrape up but there's still traces of chocolate.  I've been wondering if a steam cleaner would be practical.  There is one floor drain, a steam cleaner and a squeegee sounds easier than scrubbing and mopping.

12 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

How much water does a steam cleaner put out?  I have a concrete kitchen floor so the tempered bits are easy enough to scrape up but there's still traces of chocolate.  I've been wondering if a steam cleaner would be practical.  There is one floor drain, a steam cleaner and a squeegee sounds easier than scrubbing and mopping.

Very little - all wipeupable.

• Like 1

I don't worry about my floor till it gets slippery.  That being said I've tried scraping and it doesn't seem to help much.  I suspect heat gun and paper towels are the way to go.

• Like 1

How much chocolate?

We have a chocolate scraper on a mop handle for unavoidable drips and drops. Anymore than that, then the person that spills will have to get on hands and knees with a heat gun and towels.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 11:15 PM, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I'm just curious--how did this happen?

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

In my chocolate lab - it's just clumsiness!

• Similar Content

• By eglies
      I need some help to balance my recipe fillings for my bonbons. Anyone have time to help me? I have based myself on Ramon Moratos %
    • By JoNorvelleWalker
      For my purposes I have mastered the art of packaging chocolate bars, but search as I might I cannot find an eGullet thread or any information on packaging chocolate eggs.  I ask as I have an egg mold in transit.  Assuming I can successfully fabricate an egg, how can I wrap or package it?  All I can think of is cellophane.

I've seen pictures so I know some of you are making eggs.  Do not deny it.  When I was little and still celebrated holidays the neighborhood candy establishment sold eggs in windowed cardboard boxes with cellophane grass*.  That was the early 1950's.  Is this still the state of the art?

*cellophane grass tastes terrible.  And the ubiquitous coconut cream filling not much better.

• By melmck
      I am searching for a natural source of food colorings, to tint buttercream, & use in chocolate work. I don't like commercial FC, it is synthetic and toxic to boot. Has anyone found a good source/vendor who has naturally derived colorings
    • By eglies
      Hi there,
      i am moving into our lab next week so excited!!!! I have one million questions but the ones popping up in my head are
      1) If I have 6 moulded bonbon recipes to airbrush, fill and cover and 6 bars recipes to make for our production,how do you organise production? Can someone give me an example of their weekly plan am and pm plan just to get an idea? I have a Selmi 😀. 
      2) how many bonbons and bars should I produce just before we launch? I have my budgets and projections but you know those first weeks God knows how you will do! Should I be freezing from the beginning? And what is the ideal packaging way to freeze bonbons? 

Thank you so appreciate it! 
    • By Pastrypastmidnight
      Does anyone have a chewy chocolate caramel recipe they love? One that holds its shape but can be cut on a guitar? The recipes I’ve tried have either been not very chocolate-y or suuuuuuuper stiff. Like, I bruised the palm of my hand cutting them stiff :(. 

Or or even if you can just point me in the direction of some theory, that would be great!